Re: [thewire] Embarrassed? (was: Autechre)

  • t-petertil@juno.com
    Message 1 of 44 , Jun 7, 2001
      Hell, I have Yodeling CDs and Beer Hall Song CDs-I can't imagine being
      embarrassed by anything I have including Windham Hill Piano Samplers and
      my ex-wifes' Lionel Ritchie discs. No Autechre tho. Now my face is red.
      Tuck

      On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 16:38:47 -0400 (EDT) "R. Lim"
      <r-lim-1@...> writes:
      > On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Daniel DiMaggio wrote:
      >
      > > Steve Miller band is great because everything about it is so
      > > non-descript. He has the plainest voice imaginable, and
      > everything
      > > about the music is typically "classic rock". He has some great
      > tunes.
      >
      > Hey, Children of the Future is a pretty decent chunk of bluesy, West
      > Coast
      > psych... I don't mind the hits & I certainly wouldn't be ashamed to
      > have
      > them. I mean, does everybody just throw away their records once
      > they
      > aren't "cool" anymore? I've got tons of stuff that your average
      > Wire
      > reader would think is dodgy; I'm not embarrassed to admit I have 'em
      > and I
      > certainly don't feel any need to justify their presence within my
      > household...
      >
      > -rob

      > TheWire List Info Page:
      > http://www.msu.edu/user/forddavi/wirelist.html
      >
      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • R. Lim
      Message 44 of 44 , Jun 14, 2001
        On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Rob Thornton wrote:

        > Yeah. As far as i can tell, the US hipsters are generally treating
        > Timbaland and the rest of the electrobreak-style R&B in the same
        > fashion. That's sad indeed. For example, an early Timbaland-produced hit

        I don't think this is true- I've heard a lot of people talking about these
        records. Whether or not they qualify as a hipster, I dunno. I mean, does
        such a thing really exist beyond a general class of people invoked as
        straw men for rhetorical purposes? Outside of Williamsburg, I mean.

        -rob