RE: [thewire] Re:db - downtown

  • Steeples Paul (Mr PW)
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2001
      I knew someone who went to public school with the young Hugo Burnham. His
      parents used to turn up in their Bentley to take him home for the holidays.
      So perhaps his years of self-disgust were over, and he was simply reverting
      to type...

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2001
        like I said..."which might be your favorite record". Certainly Sam Fox compares favorably to the last couple of Gang Of Four albums that Burnham played on. Cultural worthiness is in the eye & ear of the beholder...but it is funny
        sometimes to see the sort of projects musicians bounce between as their musicial careers go on.

        simonsmith@... wrote:

        > Nothing wrong with those Waitresses records. This whole thread seems to be based on a false opposition - I mean are the Voidoids really any more culturally worthy than the Foundations - give me that quasi Northern soul sound anyday!
        >
        > Don't expect me to defend Sam Fox though ... wasn't she one of those people who was going to 'leave the country' if Labour won the election?

        > Subject: Re: [thewire] Re:db - downtown
        > Author: gerardc@... at INTERNET
        > Date: 05/06/2001 23:02
        >
        > I've seen the Hugo / Sam Fox video. More of a career highlight than his A&R stint for Island.
        >
        > Don't forget about Billy Ficca (Television) on the Waitresses' "I Know What Boys
        > Like". Which might be your favorite record, I don't know.
        >
        > GC
        >
        > Daniel DiMaggio wrote:
        >
        > > Also, Ivan Julian (of R. Hell and the Voidoids) played with the Foundations > ('Build Me Up Buttercup').
        > >
        > > Jan Miloszewski wrote:
        > >
        > > > on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man Hugo Burnham of > > the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing band?

      • Daniel DiMaggio
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2001
          It's pretty much a question of consistency; 'Build Me Up Buttercup' can beat out 'Love Comes In Spurts' any day, but I doubt that the Foundations ever made an album as great as Blank Generation, or even Destiny Street.

          daniel

        • originaldgsblx@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 18, 2001
            Some months ago, "Steeples Paul (Mr PW)" paul.steeples@d...>
            wrote:
            > I knew someone who went to public school with the young
            Hugo Burnham. His
            > parents used to turn up in their Bentley to take him home for
            the holidays.
            > So perhaps his years of self-disgust were over, and he was
            simply reverting
            > to type...
            and:-
            > From: Jan Miloszewski [mailto:jklm@m...]
            >
            > on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man
            Hugo Burnham of
            > the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing
            band?

            Yes - I played with Sam Fox on TOTP...and it was fun (and I got
            paid on time and properly - quite unusual, I must say). This was
            four weeks after I was on TOTP with PIL playing 'Rise'. Keep
            people guessing, I say. I was a drummer. I had to earn a living.
            As for public school Bentley rides...what bollocks. I went to a
            grammar school and was a day-pupil. My Mum and dad had a
            VW dormobile. But I DID play rugby and squash...so I guess that
            makes my Gang of Four works completely without relevance
            then, eh?

            love,

            Hugo Burnham