Re[2]: [thewire] Re:db - downtown

  • simonsmith@readingchronicle.co.uk
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
      Nothing wrong with those Waitresses records. This whole thread seems to be based on a false opposition - I mean are the Voidoids really any more culturally worthy than the Foundations - give me that quasi Northern soul sound anyday!

      Don't expect me to defend Sam Fox though ... wasn't she one of those people who was going to 'leave the country' if Labour won the election?

      Subject: Re: [thewire] Re:db - downtown
      Author: gerardc@... at INTERNET
      Date: 05/06/2001 23:02

      I've seen the Hugo / Sam Fox video. More of a career highlight than his A&R stint for Island.

      Don't forget about Billy Ficca (Television) on the Waitresses' "I Know What Boys
      Like". Which might be your favorite record, I don't know.

      GC

      Daniel DiMaggio wrote:

      > Also, Ivan Julian (of R. Hell and the Voidoids) played with the Foundations > ('Build Me Up Buttercup').
      >
      > Jan Miloszewski wrote:
      >
      > > on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man Hugo Burnham of > > the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing band?

    • Gary Atkins
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
        Politics aside, I wouldn't trade anything for my Sam Fox limited edition
        picture disc (pictured topless, of course)...also good for the occasional
        spoken word wisdom break between beats (no pun intended).
        Unrelated...
        I'm wishing I'd paid more attention to all the earlier Magic Carpathians
        threads, having just picked up my first tasty sampling--a $5 used copy of
        Ethnocore 2. Been a while since I've indulged in that sound (as a huge Suns
        of Arqa fan in the 80's), but am reminded of how pleasing it is. May have to
        pick up the new SOA comp. CD for summer fun--global fusion pre-dilution.

        Cheers all-

        >From: simonsmith@...
        >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re[2]: [thewire] Re:db - downtown
        >Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 9:19:33 +0100
        >
        >Nothing wrong with those Waitresses records. This whole thread seems to be
        >based on a false opposition - I mean are the Voidoids really any more
        >culturally worthy than the Foundations - give me that quasi Northern soul
        >sound anyday!
        >
        >Don't expect me to defend Sam Fox though ... wasn't she one of those people
        >who was going to 'leave the country' if Labour won the election?

      • Keith McColl
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
          gary - have you been at the blow again ? maybe dig out a couple of old
          ozrics + transglobal undergrounnds while youre at it .... go on knock
          yourself out ....must say eagerly awaiting the jordan pop up picture disc

          ***LIFE IS A SHORT WARM MOMENT , DEATH IS A LONG COLD REST ***
          Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
          company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
          attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
          recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
          inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
          e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
            Thanks Keith, but no use for either of those two...

            What track is Elton on by now, anyway?

          • Keith McColl
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
              hes dead now - ive moved on - office vibes have been sigur ros - which i s
              cocteaus really . merc rev new album - load of old wank really . i give up
              on music .

            • Steven Taylor

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
                  youre right steve - pecker up - feel better now - very loud 'cosmic flute'
                  tk off 'bollywood breaks' album on outcaste blasting round office - its a
                  free love jam maaann - really is a good track

                  ***LIFE IS A SHORT WARM MOMENT , DEATH IS A LONG COLD REST ***
                  Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
                  company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
                  attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
                  recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
                  inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
                  e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

                • Gary Atkins
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
                    Speaking of Cocteau's...another recent dose of nostalgia...picked up a used
                    (would never pay an import 4AD price new) copy of their "hits" compilation.
                    My Cocteau's are all vinyl (rarely resisted the 12x12 23 envelope packages,
                    and liked most of their earlier stuff). I'm sparing with the music these
                    days (it takes me back to an old hurtful flame), but did appreciate the
                    historical perspective of the write-up in the new cd's liner notes--can't
                    recall the writer at the mo'.

                    I'm tempted too at times--but too much shite on the TV and books require
                    sitting still (can only read the Wire in small doses). hang in there, and
                    let me know if you need a helping of Sam Fox.

                    Continuing my 80's trip...whatever happened to Hula (the band). Anyone?

                  • Andrew Alastair Cumming
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
                      hello people

                      I'm new to the list and I want to start my contribution by courting controversy and throwing a spanner into the works by saying what is the big deal with Autechre?
                      I mean I've got a few tracks on compilations , I've seen them live , hell, I've even met them but I just don't get it . Why are they so revered?
                      Perhaps I need to sit down and listen to whole album but I can't bring myself to do it.
                      I'm sure I'm going to be called a philistine ( amonst other things) for this.

                      andy
                    • Gwendal Cobert
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 7, 2001
                        Now, maybe a different lighting... the trouble with Autechre is that their
                        best / most enduring work is far from being their most accessible : I love
                        EP7 and Incunabula, I think they stand way above the rest - but it took me
                        ages to get there - what I always loved with them is that they seem to build
                        mazes of sounds, it is so easy (and enjoyable) to immerse yourself and get
                        lost in it.... and they have got a knack for it, with most of their
                        "competition" the process is a bit too visible, does not have any mystery to
                        it.
                        As for Autechre live : only seen them live once, a couple of months ago, and
                        though some of their set was boring, some of it had me looking at my watch
                        to discover one hour had passed while I thought it was only 5 minutes... now
                        for evolution : I admit I haven't gotten around much to their latest album,
                        but from what I saw on stage, they were heading straight for a fusion of
                        their sound with stuff reminding me a lot of the darkest and most
                        interesting drum'n bass, Third Eye Foundation and Panacea - while I have the
                        feeling Panacea is going more and more towards Autechre-like treatments (esp
                        on Brasilia).
                        That's another great thing about Autechre : they seem to be always near when
                        you try to look at where electronic music is heading to...
                        About the first Artificial Intelligence as Rosetta Stone of IDM : it
                        definitely is to me, that's the only comp where you can hear together punks
                        going electronica (Paterson), young kids from the US (UP!), followers of the
                        Detroit/Degiorgio obedience (B12, IAO), together with new talent from all
                        over Europe (Dice Man, Autechre, Speedy J) - all the guys who shaped today's
                        electronic music...
                        And finally, a couple of recommandations : stuff I find both easily
                        accessible and excellent :
                        - the Anti EP : their danciest / most melodic, with its everevolving main
                        track
                        - the Basscadet EP : five excellent takes of one excellent tune
                        - the Gescom EPs on Skam, esp the one with Sciew Spoc : once again, mixing
                        complexity with melody gives neverending pleasure and interest...
                        Gwendal