Re: Derek Bailey & Petula Clark

  • James Lindbloom
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2001
      ��<� I heard a rumor that Derek Bailey played as a session musician on
      Petula Clark's song "Downtown" (no. 1 single in 1965).� Anyone know if
      this is true?>

      Could be. Bailey did a *lot* of pop session work in the 1960s, but has been
      silent on details, as far as I know... and of course, it's not like you'd be
      able to recognize him anyhow, I imagine. Kinda like picking up some old
      Lonnie Sattin single to hear an anonymous Sun Ra & Arkestra backing him
      up...
      cheers
      James
    • lmc
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2001
        >< I heard a rumor that Derek Bailey played as a session musician on
        >Petula Clark's song "Downtown" (no. 1 single in 1965). Anyone know if
        >this is true?>

        No, sadly it is not true. It's a bit like that rumour that b-list quiz show
        host Bob Holness plays saxophone on Baker Street or whatever the song was.
        But DB did audition for Manfred Mann around that time. He didn't get the
        gig.
        Ed