Re:db - downtown

  • Peter Marsh
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 5, 2001
      daniel wrote:

      > I heard a rumor that Derek Bailey played as a
      session musician on
      >Petula Clark's song "Downtown" (no. 1 single in
      1965). Anyone know if
      >this is true?

      a friend of mine attempted to verify this with the man
      himself at a company week some years ago - apparently
      it's not true, though i seem to remember that db did
      gig with shirley bassey. anyone else got any instances
      of improvisers playing in strange contexts ? i think
      that both tony coe and kenny wheeler played on the 'mr
      benn' theme tune. mr coe also played the tenor on the
      original 'pink panther theme'...

      cheers

      peter

      =====
      lob - astralpunkfunkambientnoisejazz
      http://www.lentils.demon.co.uk
      http://www.mp3.com/lobstuff

    • Jan Miloszewski
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 5, 2001
        on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man Hugo Burnham of
        the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing band?

        > > I heard a rumor that Derek Bailey played as a
        > session musician on
        > >Petula Clark's song "Downtown" (no. 1 single in
        > 1965). Anyone know if
        > >this is true?
        >
        > a friend of mine attempted to verify this with the man
        > himself at a company week some years ago - apparently
        > it's not true, though i seem to remember that db did
        > gig with shirley bassey. anyone else got any instances
        > of improvisers playing in strange contexts ? i think
        > that both tony coe and kenny wheeler played on the 'mr
        > benn' theme tune. mr coe also played the tenor on the
        > original 'pink panther theme'...
        >
        > cheers
        >
        > peter
        >
        > =====
        > lob - astralpunkfunkambientnoisejazz
        > http://www.lentils.demon.co.uk
        > http://www.mp3.com/lobstuff

      • Daniel DiMaggio
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 5, 2001
          Also, Ivan Julian (of R. Hell and the Voidoids) played with the Foundations
          ('Build Me Up Buttercup').

          Jan Miloszewski wrote:

          > on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man Hugo Burnham of
          > the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing band?

        • Gerard Cosloy
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 5, 2001
            I've seen the Hugo / Sam Fox video. More of a career highlight than his A&R
            stint for Island.

            Don't forget about Billy Ficca (Television) on the Waitresses' "I Know What Boys
            Like". Which might be your favorite record, I don't know.

            GC

            Daniel DiMaggio wrote:

            > Also, Ivan Julian (of R. Hell and the Voidoids) played with the Foundations
            > ('Build Me Up Buttercup').
            >
            > Jan Miloszewski wrote:
            >
            > > on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man Hugo Burnham of
            > > the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing band?

          • Steeples Paul (Mr PW)
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2001
              I knew someone who went to public school with the young Hugo Burnham. His
              parents used to turn up in their Bentley to take him home for the holidays.
              So perhaps his years of self-disgust were over, and he was simply reverting
              to type...

              on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man Hugo Burnham of
              the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing band?

              > > I heard a rumor that Derek Bailey played as a
              > session musician on
              > >Petula Clark's song "Downtown" (no. 1 single in
              > 1965). Anyone know if
              > >this is true?
              >
              > a friend of mine attempted to verify this with the man
              > himself at a company week some years ago - apparently
              > it's not true, though i seem to remember that db did
              > gig with shirley bassey. anyone else got any instances
              > of improvisers playing in strange contexts ? i think
              > that both tony coe and kenny wheeler played on the 'mr
              > benn' theme tune. mr coe also played the tenor on the
              > original 'pink panther theme'...
              >
              > cheers
              >
              > peter
              >
              > =====
              > lob - astralpunkfunkambientnoisejazz
              > http://www.lentils.demon.co.uk
              > http://www.mp3.com/lobstuff

            • Gerard Cosloy
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2001
                like I said..."which might be your favorite record". Certainly Sam Fox compares favorably to the last couple of Gang Of Four albums that Burnham played on. Cultural worthiness is in the eye & ear of the beholder...but it is funny
                sometimes to see the sort of projects musicians bounce between as their musicial careers go on.

                simonsmith@... wrote:

                > Nothing wrong with those Waitresses records. This whole thread seems to be based on a false opposition - I mean are the Voidoids really any more culturally worthy than the Foundations - give me that quasi Northern soul sound anyday!
                >
                > Don't expect me to defend Sam Fox though ... wasn't she one of those people who was going to 'leave the country' if Labour won the election?

                > Subject: Re: [thewire] Re:db - downtown
                > Author: gerardc@... at INTERNET
                > Date: 05/06/2001 23:02
                >
                > I've seen the Hugo / Sam Fox video. More of a career highlight than his A&R stint for Island.
                >
                > Don't forget about Billy Ficca (Television) on the Waitresses' "I Know What Boys
                > Like". Which might be your favorite record, I don't know.
                >
                > GC
                >
                > Daniel DiMaggio wrote:
                >
                > > Also, Ivan Julian (of R. Hell and the Voidoids) played with the Foundations > ('Build Me Up Buttercup').
                > >
                > > Jan Miloszewski wrote:
                > >
                > > > on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man Hugo Burnham of > > the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing band?

              • Daniel DiMaggio
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2001
                  It's pretty much a question of consistency; 'Build Me Up Buttercup' can beat out 'Love Comes In Spurts' any day, but I doubt that the Foundations ever made an album as great as Blank Generation, or even Destiny Street.

                  daniel

                • originaldgsblx@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 18 10:24 AM
                    Some months ago, "Steeples Paul (Mr PW)" paul.steeples@d...>
                    wrote:
                    > I knew someone who went to public school with the young
                    Hugo Burnham. His
                    > parents used to turn up in their Bentley to take him home for
                    the holidays.
                    > So perhaps his years of self-disgust were over, and he was
                    simply reverting
                    > to type...
                    and:-
                    > From: Jan Miloszewski [mailto:jklm@m...]
                    >
                    > on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man
                    Hugo Burnham of
                    > the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing
                    band?

                    Yes - I played with Sam Fox on TOTP...and it was fun (and I got
                    paid on time and properly - quite unusual, I must say). This was
                    four weeks after I was on TOTP with PIL playing 'Rise'. Keep
                    people guessing, I say. I was a drummer. I had to earn a living.
                    As for public school Bentley rides...what bollocks. I went to a
                    grammar school and was a day-pupil. My Mum and dad had a
                    VW dormobile. But I DID play rugby and squash...so I guess that
                    makes my Gang of Four works completely without relevance
                    then, eh?

                    love,

                    Hugo Burnham