db - downtown

  • Daniel DiMaggio
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2001
      I heard a rumor that Derek Bailey played as a session musician on
      Petula Clark's song "Downtown" (no. 1 single in 1965). Anyone know if
      this is true?
    • Peter Marsh
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 5, 2001
        daniel wrote:

        > I heard a rumor that Derek Bailey played as a
        session musician on
        >Petula Clark's song "Downtown" (no. 1 single in
        1965). Anyone know if
        >this is true?

        a friend of mine attempted to verify this with the man
        himself at a company week some years ago - apparently
        it's not true, though i seem to remember that db did
        gig with shirley bassey. anyone else got any instances
        of improvisers playing in strange contexts ? i think
        that both tony coe and kenny wheeler played on the 'mr
        benn' theme tune. mr coe also played the tenor on the
        original 'pink panther theme'...

        cheers

        peter

        =====
        lob - astralpunkfunkambientnoisejazz
        http://www.lentils.demon.co.uk
        http://www.mp3.com/lobstuff

      • Jan Miloszewski
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 5, 2001
          on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man Hugo Burnham of
          the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing band?

          > > I heard a rumor that Derek Bailey played as a
          > session musician on
          > >Petula Clark's song "Downtown" (no. 1 single in
          > 1965). Anyone know if
          > >this is true?
          >
          > a friend of mine attempted to verify this with the man
          > himself at a company week some years ago - apparently
          > it's not true, though i seem to remember that db did
          > gig with shirley bassey. anyone else got any instances
          > of improvisers playing in strange contexts ? i think
          > that both tony coe and kenny wheeler played on the 'mr
          > benn' theme tune. mr coe also played the tenor on the
          > original 'pink panther theme'...
          >
          > cheers
          >
          > peter
          >
          > =====
          > lob - astralpunkfunkambientnoisejazz
          > http://www.lentils.demon.co.uk
          > http://www.mp3.com/lobstuff

        • Daniel DiMaggio
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 5, 2001
            Also, Ivan Julian (of R. Hell and the Voidoids) played with the Foundations
            ('Build Me Up Buttercup').

            Jan Miloszewski wrote:

            > on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man Hugo Burnham of
            > the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing band?

          • Gerard Cosloy
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 5, 2001
              I've seen the Hugo / Sam Fox video. More of a career highlight than his A&R
              stint for Island.

              Don't forget about Billy Ficca (Television) on the Waitresses' "I Know What Boys
              Like". Which might be your favorite record, I don't know.

              GC

              Daniel DiMaggio wrote:

              > Also, Ivan Julian (of R. Hell and the Voidoids) played with the Foundations
              > ('Build Me Up Buttercup').
              >
              > Jan Miloszewski wrote:
              >
              > > on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man Hugo Burnham of
              > > the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing band?

            • Steeples Paul (Mr PW)
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2001
                I knew someone who went to public school with the young Hugo Burnham. His
                parents used to turn up in their Bentley to take him home for the holidays.
                So perhaps his years of self-disgust were over, and he was simply reverting
                to type...

                on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man Hugo Burnham of
                the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing band?

                > > I heard a rumor that Derek Bailey played as a
                > session musician on
                > >Petula Clark's song "Downtown" (no. 1 single in
                > 1965). Anyone know if
                > >this is true?
                >
                > a friend of mine attempted to verify this with the man
                > himself at a company week some years ago - apparently
                > it's not true, though i seem to remember that db did
                > gig with shirley bassey. anyone else got any instances
                > of improvisers playing in strange contexts ? i think
                > that both tony coe and kenny wheeler played on the 'mr
                > benn' theme tune. mr coe also played the tenor on the
                > original 'pink panther theme'...
                >
                > cheers
                >
                > peter
                >
                > =====
                > lob - astralpunkfunkambientnoisejazz
                > http://www.lentils.demon.co.uk
                > http://www.mp3.com/lobstuff

              • Gerard Cosloy
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2001
                  like I said..."which might be your favorite record". Certainly Sam Fox compares favorably to the last couple of Gang Of Four albums that Burnham played on. Cultural worthiness is in the eye & ear of the beholder...but it is funny
                  sometimes to see the sort of projects musicians bounce between as their musicial careers go on.

                  simonsmith@... wrote:

                  > Nothing wrong with those Waitresses records. This whole thread seems to be based on a false opposition - I mean are the Voidoids really any more culturally worthy than the Foundations - give me that quasi Northern soul sound anyday!
                  >
                  > Don't expect me to defend Sam Fox though ... wasn't she one of those people who was going to 'leave the country' if Labour won the election?

                  > Subject: Re: [thewire] Re:db - downtown
                  > Author: gerardc@... at INTERNET
                  > Date: 05/06/2001 23:02
                  >
                  > I've seen the Hugo / Sam Fox video. More of a career highlight than his A&R stint for Island.
                  >
                  > Don't forget about Billy Ficca (Television) on the Waitresses' "I Know What Boys
                  > Like". Which might be your favorite record, I don't know.
                  >
                  > GC
                  >
                  > Daniel DiMaggio wrote:
                  >
                  > > Also, Ivan Julian (of R. Hell and the Voidoids) played with the Foundations > ('Build Me Up Buttercup').
                  > >
                  > > Jan Miloszewski wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man Hugo Burnham of > > the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing band?

                • Daniel DiMaggio
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2001
                    It's pretty much a question of consistency; 'Build Me Up Buttercup' can beat out 'Love Comes In Spurts' any day, but I doubt that the Foundations ever made an album as great as Blank Generation, or even Destiny Street.

                    daniel

                  • originaldgsblx@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 18, 2001
                      Some months ago, "Steeples Paul (Mr PW)" paul.steeples@d...>
                      wrote:
                      > I knew someone who went to public school with the young
                      Hugo Burnham. His
                      > parents used to turn up in their Bentley to take him home for
                      the holidays.
                      > So perhaps his years of self-disgust were over, and he was
                      simply reverting
                      > to type...
                      and:-
                      > From: Jan Miloszewski [mailto:jklm@m...]
                      >
                      > on a related note, didn't ever-so-right-on angry young man
                      Hugo Burnham of
                      > the Gang of Four end up playing in Samantha Fox's backing
                      band?

                      Yes - I played with Sam Fox on TOTP...and it was fun (and I got
                      paid on time and properly - quite unusual, I must say). This was
                      four weeks after I was on TOTP with PIL playing 'Rise'. Keep
                      people guessing, I say. I was a drummer. I had to earn a living.
                      As for public school Bentley rides...what bollocks. I went to a
                      grammar school and was a day-pupil. My Mum and dad had a
                      VW dormobile. But I DID play rugby and squash...so I guess that
                      makes my Gang of Four works completely without relevance
                      then, eh?

                      love,

                      Hugo Burnham