(no subject)

  • Dmitry Elentuck
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 1998
      >Message: 2
      > Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 12:38:23 GMT0BST
      > From: "John" <W.J.Gibson@...>
      >Subject: Slicker

      >Hello all,
      >I really like the Slicker track on The Wire Tapper 2 CD. I remember
      >the album ('Confidence in Duber') being reviewed a few issues back,
      >but according to the CD it won't be out in Europe until January.
      >Since it specifically stated 'Europe' I wondered if this meant it was
      >out across the Pond since I'm fucked if I can be arsed waiting three
      >months for it to emerge (I'll probably end up forgetting about it).
      >If it is, I'll just import it from somewhere.
      >JOHN

      Slicker's _Confidence in Duber_ has been out in the US for at least a month
      now. It IS excellent, much better than their track on _Altered States of
      America_ compilation on Lo Recordings.
      Best comparison and reference points would probably be
      (a) digital audio trickery-fuckery of FX Randomiz / Lithops/ Mouse on
      Mars -- tiny scalpel-sharp samples spliced together, itching and scratching
      the surface;
      (b)the way Matmos *sound* on paper, not on record --- all the hype they
      failed to live up to, IMHO --- modern day *pop* musique concrete, with
      cut-up sounds of household objects (mostly found in the kitchen) and scanned
      speech; and
      (c)glimpses of *Chicago* sound (Tortoisey -- Euphoney guitar and bass lines,
      occasionally spiced with vibes) but not too-smoothy-sleazy-jazzy, thus
      shifting the overall sound closer to _Highways Over Gardens_ / Pluramon
      territory... One of my favorite albums this year.

      You can try to order it directly from Hefty Records ( www.heftyrecords.com )
      for $10 plus $5 (for international order) or try Bent Crayon
      www.bentcrayon.com ), though I haven't seen this CD listed in their weekly
      updates.
      Good luck hunting.

      Dmitry