Re: Melvins/Altamont, freak rock

  • loadrec@ids.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2001
      While some wil say that the "Providence Freek Rock" explosion is a clever repackaging of older sounds
      (everyone is on a sort of no wave bandwagon when comparisons are called for), I really would like to clarify the
      term to mean this .... "Definite characteristics: Confrontational, but not macho sounds ..... Often percussive
      based. Often the bands have a costumed stage appearance. The music is noisy. Much of the music has come
      out Fort Thunder, a Providence, RI based art collective (www.fortthunder.org). This space has hosted shows
      that locals have taken in by all sorts: Neil Campbell, Quintron. Melt Banana, Harry Pussy, Karp, Man Is the
      Bastard, Hvartski, Kid 606, etc....

      The principal bands (the ones you folks on the list are most likely to have heard of: Men's Recovery Project,
      Lightning Bolt, Six Finger Satellite, Arab on Radar, Landed, Forcefield, Mr. Brinkman, DROPDEAD, Pleasurehorse,
      and Olneyville Sound System. Bands on the periphery of this scene who are affiliated with (because they have
      roots in the town) this movement are Black Dice, Pixel Tan, and Sightings.

      I'll try and make this non-promotional (I Load Records (www.loadrecords.com) and a lot of the artists have
      records on my label. Other labels such as Vermifom (www.vermiform.com) and Skin Graft
      (www.skingraftrecords.com) have released records by these bands.

      Essential Recordings:

      Lightning Bolt: Ride the Skies LP/CD (Load)
      Landed: Why I live 10" (Vermiform)
      Six Finger Satellite: Severe Exposure LP/CD (Sub Pop)
      DROPDEAD: S/T '98 LP (Armegedon)
      Arab on Radar: Soak the Saddle LP/CD (Skin Graft)
      Mr. Brinkman: Transmittens CD (Vermiform)
      Pleasurehorse: Twat Motel/Mystery Brinkman split 12" (Load)
      Black Dice 10" (Troubleman
      Men's Recovery Project: Bolides Over Basra LP/CD (Load)
      You're Soaking In It compliation CD (Load)

      Hope this gives some background ..... feel free to email me with paticulars. This "definition" is really vague, as
      there is no sound. Lightning Bolt is an extreme bass and drum duo out to end rock music forever. Crushing and
      essential. Arab on Radar are a on more hyperactive roadways....they will grab the world by the short hairs to
      the bathroom. Men's Recovery Project are more of a Residents inspired outfit. Forcefield and Mystery Brinkman
      use damaged electronics to make cough syrup blunted uber beat stomp. Effective and confusing. Olneyville
      Sound System have the market cornered on Flipper styled blues damage. It gives me the best sort of
      headache. Black Dice are a high frequency microtonal battle of insects. DROPDEAD is over the top political
      hardcore. Everythiing turned well past "10". The You're Soaking In It compilation is a great place to survey the
      scene of this Freek Rock Explosion (unfortunatly I term I used on a press sheet)

      Take care, Ben

      I'm new to this list, hope I didn't scare y'all

    • jmr99@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2001
        wait 'til you see brian from lightning bolt. holy shit!!!
        /
        jeff/pink&brown

        tour dates:
        http://www.loadrecords.com/bands/tour.html

        newgrange@s...

        > "It's no bed of roses, let me tell you, being a mutant."
        > -- Warren
        Dearden
        > np: Loop, _The World in Your Eyes_
        > nr: James Elkins, _The Domain of Images_
      • mark ou
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
          At 07:38 PM 06/02/2001 +0000, Ben wrote:
          >While some wil say that the "Providence Freek Rock" explosion is a clever
          >repackaging of older sounds
          >(everyone is on a sort of no wave bandwagon when comparisons are called
          >for), I really would like to clarify the
          >term to mean this .... "Definite characteristics: Confrontational, but not
          >macho sounds ..... Often percussive
          >based. Often the bands have a costumed stage appearance. The music is noisy.

          Are you sure you're not talking about
          certain incarnations of the Sun Ra
          Arkestra?

          --mark.