faust

  • Graeme Park
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 1998
      What a gig last night! Track one happened even before we got into the venue.
      The doors were held for at least an hour as rumours swept the bar that
      they'd fucked up with CS gas in London, gassing the audience in the process.
      There were supposedly disclaimer forms on the stairs down to the venue
      covering injury due to CS gas, etc type damage. Not true of course.

      We plonked ourselves firmly down the front so we could see (unlike last
      year's gig in Edinburgh). Although the stage was pretty small, the setup
      appeared very similar to the one in Edinburgh. All manner of bizarre metal
      structures, all cabled up with large crocodile clips, suspicious looking
      pyrotechnics and a large trough running down the front of the stage, close
      enough to touch but full of a strange powder....

      The music was typical Faust, large droney pieces, pounding rythyms
      interspersed with all manner of wierdness. Power tools made an appearance,
      throwing sparks into the crowd, a television was hefted around the stage
      before being thrown to the ground and exploding. Unfortunately I was at the
      bar at this point cos it blew up right in front of where I was standing. I
      think this was during the Gorecki piece from Rien. Never mind, the power
      tools and pyrotechnics threw plenty of sparks my way. The trough in front of
      the stage was lit and it gave off huge clouds of white smoke, presumably
      where the CS gas story came from. The final piece that's really stuck with
      me (other than the ringing in my ears) was the red signal flare spoken rant
      which happend about 5 feet in front of my face. God knows how noone went up
      in flames.

      Faust is Faust.

      Graeme...