Urban Beats - 6 May

  • pete
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2001
      Just got back from the Urban Beats event tonight. Had to miss DJ Spooky,
      which was a disappointment, but I had to get the last tube home.

      The event didn't quite work on all levels. The Barbican is and isn't the
      right venue. It has plenty of small spaces for ad hoc stages and I really
      liked the idea of leaving the Hall and going into the club area. But, the
      Hall itself doesn't work as a pop/rock/non-serious music venue. It's just a
      big concrete outhouse with little intimacy and no audience/performer
      feedback. The audience was strangely muted.

      As for the music, that almost worked, but was spoiled by the absence of
      Blonde Redhaead due to illness. I was also disappointed by the intolerant
      reception for electronic performer Larry 7. This was not my cup of tea and
      I knew that before. But, I was willing to sit through it and make a
      judgment afterwards. Not so some in the audience who shouted "enough". The
      blokes behind me laughed all the way through. Okay, it may have sounded
      like a guy tuning his radio for 20 minutes or so (tonight's gig was on Radio
      3, Larry), but give the guy a chance. The programme warned that this was
      going to be evening testing your senses. Well, it some ways it failed at
      that too.

      Arto Lindsay put on a competent set, but it was just a bit too sterile for
      my liking. Fly Pan Am on Friday night was by far a better gig.

      Pete
      http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/donut