re: La Monte Young

  • David Beardsley
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2001
      I'm just catching up on my email and I find this:

      simonsmith@... wrote:

      >Isn't the release of incredibly limited edition copies at
      >extortionate prices just a neat way of extracting cash
      >from a hungry audience?

      Maybe it's a way of financing the production
      of the commercial release?

      "Ryan Whitehead" <ryan_whitehead@...> wrote:

      >The profit motive seems suspect, or at least short
      >sighted. Not that I'm a master of economics, but it
      > stands to reason that labels like Table Of The
      >Elements are giving a more accurate rendition of
      > the supply/demand curve. Why then would their pricing be so
      >drastically different than La Monte's.

      Because it's much cheaper to release a cd with only
      music on it than a 6 1/2 hour dvd with audio AND music.

      (I'm a student of La Monte and web master for http://lamonteyoung.com)

      db

      --
      * D a v i d B e a r d s l e y
      * 49/32 R a d i o "all microtonal, all the time"