Matmos : thread of dance

  • Jawed Ashraf
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2001
      Thinking about found sounds I just wanted to see what you guys thought of
      all the dance inflections running through A Chance to Cut is a Chance to
      Cure.

      Me: it pisses me off enormously. It's like the Beavis and Butthead school
      of electronica, "crank up that 4/4" etc. The trax without the dance
      nonsense are just so much better in my view. Aren't we a few years past the
      "electronica-equals-dance" era?

      My favs are "for felix (and all the rats)", for its elegiac feel, the pure
      sounds (struck bars of the cage) and the "earthquake crescendo"; and
      "memento mori" just because it's full of such cool sounds (though it runs
      close to the dance bone).

      Jawed
    • Steven Taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2001
        > Thinking about found sounds I just wanted to see what you
        > guys thought of
        > all the dance inflections running through A Chance to Cut is
        > a Chance to
        > Cure.
        >
        > Me: it pisses me off enormously. It's like the Beavis and
        > Butthead school
        > of electronica, "crank up that 4/4" etc. The trax without the dance
        > nonsense are just so much better in my view. Aren't we a few
        > years past the
        > "electronica-equals-dance" era?

        Oh God arent we a few years past the "Dance-equals-stupid" era?
        Puuurlease, it is so blatantly obvious that these guys are influenced by
        dance music as well as anything you define to be wire-y or 'cool' or
        experimental. As are other wire *superheroes* like Tortoise or Fennesz. Do
        you want them to sanitise their music to keep you happy and stop you looking
        less cool in front of your mates?
        Hang on Jawed! That bar was exactly the same as the last one! These guys
        arent experimental!

        Its not an attitude you come across as much in the UK, although ive noticed
        it come up a lot in posts from Americans (and I dont know where you come
        from Jawed). Maybe its some kind of guilt trip for the general ignorance of
        all that great Detroit Techno (and Chicago House to a lesser extent) in the
        late 80's while we brits lapped it up.

        These people listen to pop music, I bet they own records by Prince and
        Stevie Wonder, I bet they have house records and records with 4/4 bass drums
        and not much else. Have you ever thought that sometimes your idols like kick
        back and listen to pop music or dance music or some cheesey rock instead of
        maybe digging out the Morton Subotnick?

        Snob.

        (and for the record I do like matmos, tortoise and fennesz)
      • Jawed Ashraf
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2001
          It just sounds stupid. It sounds like "erm, we dunno how to hang this
          together let's just..." It sounds tired.

          I can't stand Tortoise. Morton Subotnick bored me silly...

          Anyways, glad to get a reaction, more.

          Snob and proud.
          Jawed (I'm in the UK)

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2001
            It just sounds stupid. It sounds like "erm, we dunno how to hang this
            together let's just..." It sounds tired.

            Well you should have just said that then, you didnt say that, you said you
            were fed up of electronica-equals-dance in general. I wouldnt have replied
            otherwise becuase ive not heard the whole of that album yet..

            I can't stand Tortoise. Morton Subotnick bored me silly...

            I just picked Tortoise as a random wire big favourite. Morton Subotnick
            bores me silly as well, but that was kind of my point...

            Anyways, glad to get a reaction, more.
            Snob and proud.
            Jawed (I'm in the UK)

            Well it takes one to know one.