O'Rourke/Grubbs grudge

  • jk from mpls
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 1998
      As far as I could tell, O'Rourke wanted to put an end
      to Gastr because he felt was no longer very vital
      music. When he discussed this with Grubbs, he
      understood this to mean that they both agreed to put
      an end to it.

      O'Rourke then goes over to Europe to do some gigs &
      recording with Mego kingpins Fennesz & Pita. While
      he's there he finds out that Grubbs has booked a tour
      across Europe as "Gastr del Sol" without ever
      mentioning it to O'Rourke (most material was
      co-authored between the two). Very misleading.

      To make maters worse, O'Rourke returns to the states
      with the Mego crew & Marcus Popp of Oval to play a
      few gigs. When they arrive at the club in Chicago
      (Empty Bottle), they notice posters around town that
      state "GASTR DEL SOL LIVE, ETC ETC" and have "w/ Jim
      O'Rourke, Pita & Fennesz" handwritten in marker very
      tiny on the bottom. Grubbs had taken it upon himself
      to add himself on to the bill by phoning up the club
      (who were unaware of the bad feelings that had
      developed between the two).

      This was very bad news to me, as my wife & I had
      traveled 6+ hours to take in the show, only to be
      informed by Pita that I missed his set due to the
      fact that Grubbs refused to play the first set of the
      night, so Pita got pushed on early.

      And believe me, folks: Pita & Fennesz were the reason
      that people showed up anyway.

      In other (sorta) related news/fun: at the Oval show
      in Chicago a few days before this whole fiasco, I was
      intruduced to a woman who my friend said, "looooooves
      Tortoise." We chat & she finds out I'm in town for
      the Oval & Mego shows. Oval were opening the 2
      upcoming Tortoise shows the same weekend at another
      larger club, and she asked if I would be attending
      them as well. "No," I replied, "if I want to listen
      to elevator jazz I'll ride the one at the mall for an
      hour for free." She then smacked me in the face &
      began choking me (I'm not joking about this!). She
      storms off, and my friend then mentions "Oh, yeah. I
      forgot to tell you that she's known around here as
      'The Tortoise Stalker'. She calls them at all hours
      of the night, hangs around the recording studio ..."

      Now ya tell me!
    • OLDSCHREC@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 27, 1998

        <<O'Rourke then goes over to Europe to do some gigs &
        recording with Mego kingpins Fennesz & Pita. While
        he's there he finds out that Grubbs has booked a tour
        across Europe as "Gastr del Sol" without ever
        mentioning it to O'Rourke (most material was
        co-authored between the two). Very misleading.

        I've talked to Grubbs about this. It was his band in the first place. Bundy
        Brown and Grubbs formed the group well before O'Rourke joined. Grubbs told me
        Jim left the band. He said Gastr Del Sol would continue in its phase 3 at
        that ponit.

        Pete G.
      • Alex Stone
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 28, 1998
          > She
          >storms off, and my friend then mentions "Oh, yeah. I
          >forgot to tell you that she's known around here as
          >'The Tortoise Stalker'. She calls them at all hours
          >of the night, hangs around the recording studio ..."

          I don't imagine it takes a great deal of skill to stalk a tortoise.

          (Yeah, I am that bored).

          Alex

          Alex Stone

          Creative Stuff On Demand

          Knowing that nothing need be done, is where we begin to move from.
        • Brett Micheals,formerly of 'Poison'
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 29, 1998
            When love puts you through the fire,
            When love puts you to the test,
            Nothing heals a broken heart like
            TIME, LOVE AND TENDERNESS

            maybe some of you guys should try the above sometime
          • alexei monroe
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 1998
              >From bounce-thewire--1236-schrankmeister=hotmail.com@onelist.com Thu
              Oct 29 05:11:26 1998
              >From: "Brett Micheals,formerly of 'Poison'" <9716747@...>
              >To: thewire@onelist.com
              >Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:10:13 +0000
              >Subject: [thewire] Re: O'Rourke/Grubbs grudge
              >
              >From: "Brett Micheals,formerly of 'Poison'" <9716747@...>
              >

              > When love puts you through the fire,
              > When love puts you to the test,
              > Nothing heals a broken heart like
              > TIME, LOVE AND TENDERNESS
              >
              >maybe some of you guys should try the above sometime
              >
              >Personally I find a good dose of Panacea/DHR/Fennesz does all of the
              above, then again that could be just me.