Re: [thewire] Lee Perry - a Jamaican Holger Czukay?

  • Jason Witherspoon
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 3, 2001
      At 8:36 PM -0700 4/2/01, Rob Thornton wrote:
      >Just in case, folks, we're definitely talking about the Congos. The Congas
      >are a late '70s Perry side project with Mongo Santamaria! (belated April
      >Fools, ok?)
      >
      >robt

      Whoops! (Why I always got B-'s on my Spanish homework-- "as", "os",
      what's the diff??)

      --

      Jason Witherspoon
      ICQ #62837760

      ---------
      ----O----
      --- ---
      --- ---
      ----O----
      ---------
    • Jan Miloszewski
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 3, 2001
        Perry's prolific output as artist and producer over a 35 year period is very
        patchy indeed - but his best stuff certainly justifies the hype and his
        influence on other artists is incalculable. he was at his peak in the mid to
        late 70's though there's plenty of good records before then, but I'd be very
        wary of anything from the 80's onwards. "Arkology" has some great tracks on
        it but suffers from containing too much filler material. if you want to hear
        some more - out of the millions of albums available you could do a lot worse
        than these....

        Super ape
        (classic mainly instrumental/dub album from the mid 70's)
        Return of the super ape
        (excellent album from 1978, also reissued as "The original super ape" with
        extra tracks)
        The Congos - Heart of the Congos
        (his best album as a producer, superbly reissued/repackaged by Blood & Fire)
        Revolution dub
        (there's a huge number of mostly very average Lee Perry dub albums on the
        market but this is a good one and is available at budget price on various
        labels)
        Voodooism
        (good compilation album on Pressure Sounds)

        rgs

        jklm
        co sie polepszy to sie popiepszy

        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 4, 2001
          On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jess Harvell wrote:

          > Scratch can be exceedingly spotty, even at his Black Ark peak, and has left

          Agreed, though his more song-focused production work stands up pretty well
          from a consistency perspective. E.g. the 70s Upsetters singles (several
          2CD volumes in a handsomely bound book package) and earlier rude boy
          material (compiled on various CDs, my favorite of which is Chicken Scratch
          on Heartbeat- actually the Wailers but released under Perry's name). It's
          not 100% dub, but it is 100% great- I never really understood how someone
          could listen only to dub and neglect all of the other fine offerings from
          Jamaica.

          Dubwise, I'll second the recommendation for Voodoism and also put in my
          vote for Blackboard Jungle Dub, whose title track (version 1) is one of
          the finest examples of dub murk around. A friend once remarked that she
          likes that album because it doesn't really sound like anything else she's
          ever heard and I agree. It's been reissued as part of the 2fer CD Scratch
          Attack, on Ras.

          -rob
        • jamello@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 4, 2001

            <<
            P.S. To have said something useful in this post: could anyone comment on
            releases by the label Bad Vugum? Are any essential listening? I've heard
            some good things about Circle, but nothing else. Looks enigmatic.

            There are at least a half dozen wonderful Circle CDs, check the online
            catalog at Aquarius Records for details. Haven't heard anything else on the
            label, I believe they release stuff long ago (probably out of print) from
            pre-Sahko Jimi Tenor's early band.
          • R. Lim
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 4, 2001
              On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 jamello@... wrote:

              > catalog at Aquarius Records for details. Haven't heard anything else on the
              > label, I believe they release stuff long ago (probably out of print) from
              > pre-Sahko Jimi Tenor's early band.

              Oh yeah- the album is out of print (recorded under the name Jimi Tenor and
              His Shamans), but there's a couple of exclusive tracks on the in-print
              compilation "Surprising Encounters." I haven't heard any of it, but I
              just wanted to mention that the Dr. Gunni 7" with Doktor Motterfokker (or
              whatever) is pretty sweet- it's also on a 7" on the pre-606 Vinyl
              Communications which was a "sampler" of the two Bad Vugum singles.

              -rob

              ps- Heart of the Congos is an amazing album
            • Kristopher S. Handley
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 5, 2001
                >From: "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@...>
                >E.g. the 70s Upsetters singles (several
                >2CD volumes in a handsomely bound book package)

                I'm having a bit of trouble finding this; what's it called, how available is
                it, what label, etc.?

                Thanks,

                ---s
              • Jess Harvell
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 5, 2001
                  >I never really understood how someone
                  >could listen only to dub and neglect all of the other fine offerings from
                  >Jamaica.

                  Agreed, of course, so let's get into the one area which no self-conscious
                  Wire hipster seems to talk about...modern Jamaican dancehall... I've really
                  gotten into this stuff over the last couple of years...mostly through
                  compilations like Greensleeves "Best Ragga Dancehall Of [Insert Year
                  Here]"... Aside from the obligatory gat popping and ho slappin, I'm amazed
                  at how completely funked up the rhythms are... Beenie Man's "Moses Cry" is
                  like '91 Belg-core techno slowed down to 1/3 the speed... There's an
                  Elephant Man track that's basically hard acid...wouldn't sound completely
                  out of place in a Richie Hawtin set... Even at their worst, the rest have a
                  similar skittery, fitful energy as the best Swiz Beats or Timbaland track...
                  Am I alone here in my facinated flirtation with this stuff??

                  -Sprout
                • Ryan Whitehead
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 5, 2001
                    >Am I alone here in my facinated flirtation with this stuff??

                    not at all. beyond roots and dub most people have no concept of the depth of
                    jamaican music . . . even the fact that all jamaican music is referred to as
                    "reggae" when, one could argue, the true "reggae" period was built up
                    to--from mento, to ska, to rocksteady, through the rebel period, to early
                    reggae, and true reggae--and then moved beyond--through dub, deejays,
                    dancehall, ragga, conscious ragga, etc.

                    a continuation of this can be seen in the fact that those viewed as the
                    paragons of jamaican music in the world at large--bob marley and lee
                    perry--were actually unique figures standing, in many ways, outside of
                    jamaican musics more dominant threads of sound systems, dancehalls,
                    prominent producers, etc. this is particularly true of Marley . . . But
                    that's a result of what i call the marlification of reggae (i've probably
                    exposed this theory on list before)--"everyone" thinks Marley is synonymous
                    with reggae, they hear reggae and ask if it's marley even if it sounds
                    nothing like marley.

                    with that brief rant out of the way, i'd like to point to a couple of
                    producers around the legendary time of Perry that are equally worthy of
                    investigation: Niney the Observer and Keith Hudson. Niney's Blood and Fire
                    collection is unstopable, as are Keith Hudson's Pick A Dub and Studio Kinda
                    Cloudy. I hear his Flesh of My Flesh is a frightful murk--in a good
                    way--but i've yet to find a copy. A couple song oriented lee perry
                    production to augment the recommendation of the Congoes--a pause for the
                    congoes to stress that this is one of the greatest pieces of jamaican music
                    ever recorded, particularly the two disc reissue of Blood and Fire--are the
                    Junior Byles collections Curly Locks and Beat Down Babylon, and the Max
                    Romeo discs Open the Iron Gate and War Inna Babylon.

                    But this started on the ragga front. In a perverse way, the interest to
                    wire-ites makes sense: check the Ambush records releases (particularly the
                    comp Mash Up The Place, a reference to the dancehalls), anything by DJ Scud
                    (the 7" on Machinebau, "total desctruction"), and the fantastic 7"s on Scuds
                    Jah Vengeance label (Bloodclaat Gangsta Youth's--aka Dj Scud--"Kill Or Be
                    Killed" and Jah Vengeance's--aka I-Sound--"No Light"). All fuse noizecore
                    with wicked ragga sounds. Pull out the recommendations for wicked ragga . .
                    . I don't think I'm the only one that's interested.

                  • Jason Witherspoon
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 5, 2001
                      At 4:17 PM -0700 4/5/01, Ryan Whitehead wrote:
                      >Niney's Blood and Fire
                      >collection is unstopable, as are Keith Hudson's Pick A Dub and Studio Kinda
                      >Cloudy.

                      What's the Niney Blood & Fire collection called? I can't find any
                      info on their seemingly-otherwise-up-to-date website--

                      Completely agreed on the _Pick a Dub_-- great great album. I've also
                      been very heavily into the Chantells & Friends _Children of Jah_ B&F
                      comp; it's basically a comp of Roy Francis' tiny but excellent Phase
                      One label from '77-'79. The best stuff on here reminds me much of
                      the Congos, & there's a smattering of neato moogy action which makes
                      it all the more excellent, though the meat of the matter is the
                      wonderful songs.

                      --

                      Jason Witherspoon
                      ICQ #62837760

                      ---------
                      ----O----
                      --- ---
                      --- ---
                      ----O----
                      ---------
                    • Ryan Whitehead
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 5, 2001
                        Oops--

                        couple errors. I too misspelled "Congos" . . . and Dj Scud's label is Full
                        Watts, not Jah Vengeance. As I said, Jah Vengeance is a nome-de-stylus of
                        I-Sound . . . Just the lunacy of a late night at work.

                        The Niney album is actually titled "Blood And Fire: Niney and Friends". It's
                        on Trojan. Sorry for the misleading comment . . . There's just so damned
                        much blood and fire and jah swirling around when one speaks of jamaican
                        sounds that it's hard to keep it all straight.

                        ryan

                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 6, 2001
                          < not at all. beyond roots and dub most people have no concept of the depth of jamaican music . . . even the fact that all jamaican music is referred to as
                          "reggae" when, one could argue, the true "reggae" period was built up to--from mento, to ska, to rocksteady, through the rebel period, to early
                          reggae, and true reggae--and then moved beyond--through dub, deejays, dancehall, ragga, conscious ragga, etc. >

                          Exactly the point I was going to make. I have the kind folks at Soul Jazz for opening my eyes, the four "Dynamite" comps have literally no dub tracks and clued me in to some wonderful examples of various "reggae" styles. Hell, I even went out and bought a Prince Buster compilation recently!

                          RE: dancehall, Simon Reynolds' web page has a "faves of 2000" article with an entire section devoted to the genre. He too points out how the riddims are wack, merging elements of techno and hiphop (The Elephant Man CD even concludes with a take on a DMX track.)

                          Of course, you still have to get over the playa/gangsta lyrics on some tracks, but overall a fun spin.
                        • JacobM
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 6, 2001
                            when the subject turns to ragga it always seems to end with someone
                            mentioning Dj scud/ambush

                            i'd love to hear of any genuine ragga records that feature harder than hard
                            sounds..
                            bashment records, bass saturated Dj mix tapes, etc..
                            one to look out for..
                            elephant man- cd killa-- voice processing cd skipping effects..

                            any other sugestions?

                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 6, 2001
                              On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Kristopher S. Handley wrote:

                              > >From: "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@...>
                              > >E.g. the 70s Upsetters singles (several
                              > >2CD volumes in a handsomely bound book package)
                              >
                              > I'm having a bit of trouble finding this; what's it called, how available is
                              > it, what label, etc.?

                              The Complete Upsetter Singles Collection, vols 1-3 (a fourth is due next
                              month- I haven't had a chance to hear the third one yet). They're on
                              Trojan, so they should run you about $30/each.

                              -rob
                            • Ryan Whitehead
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 6, 2001
                                Oh, correction: this has not ended up with someone mentioning DJ Scud, but
                                begun with someone mentioning DJ Scud. I'm not sure if this is saying
                                "everyone knows this stuff . . . don't mention it" or "it's crap . . . don't
                                mention it" or just "hey, look, you mentioned it". Anyway, I think that the
                                releases I mentioned are excellent and there aren't many other people
                                currently integrating ragga into adventurous music--please correct me if i'm
                                wrong. Sure, in the days of old, jungle and the bristol stuff took up
                                dancehall/ragga and ran it well into their chosen genre's burst seams. But
                                today it's mostly 2 Step Garage which, though a guilty pleasure of mine, is
                                VERY conservative--morally, philosophically, musically, etc.

                                When diving into "true" ragga, I often feel like i've just missed that
                                energy that overwhelms the best Ambush/full watts/noizecore ragga tracks.
                                some older stuff that's not as fried as we're looking for, but excellent
                                nonetheless: Bounty Killer's "My Xperience", Ninja Man's "Bounty Hunter",
                                the "Hardcore Ragga" compilation, and maybe the "Ragga Essentials: In A
                                Dancehall Style" compilation. Though uniformly excellent, most of these are
                                less packed with insanity than I want. I have the impression that the truly
                                wild stuff is hidden throughout the mass production of tracks, the broken
                                down wax factories of jamaican ghettos--am I off the mark here?

                                Though someone already mentioned it, Simon Reynold's site does point to many
                                promising sounding compilations. I've got the "Dancehall 101" compilations
                                on VP, packed with good tracks and the occassional cage rattling rhythm, and
                                several of the "Strictly The Best" compilations, which follow the same
                                unpredictable good/great pattern. I used to be turned off by these
                                compilations because the covers are so incredibly tacky . . . don't let that
                                discourage. The Rough Guide to reggae also has chapters on Ragga and
                                Dancehall that pull out the historical inflection points.

                                rw out*

                                >when the subject turns to ragga it always seems to end with someone
                                >mentioning Dj scud/ambush
                                >
                                >i'd love to hear of any genuine ragga records that feature harder than hard
                                >sounds..
                                > bashment records, bass saturated Dj mix tapes, etc..
                                >one to look out for..
                                >elephant man- cd killa-- voice processing cd skipping effects..
                                >
                                >any other sugestions?

                              • Jess Harvell
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 7, 2001
                                  >I have the impression that the truly
                                  >wild stuff is hidden throughout the mass production of tracks, the broken
                                  >down wax factories of jamaican ghettos--am I off the mark here?

                                  No, I think you're bang on...that was kinda what I was trying to say when I
                                  started (this end) of the thread...(I guess in the vain hopes that there
                                  would be someone here that was inordinantly expertised in the genre)...I
                                  think to find the truly out there one offs you have to be "living the life,"
                                  i.e. scouring dingy record stores wallpapered with little 7" singles...it's
                                  like any subculture, throw a newbie into the mix and he's not gonna be able
                                  to distinguish DJ Hype from Aquasky, Napalm Death from Stryper...except by
                                  listening, exploring, yadda, yadda...also, I think we're missing a lot of
                                  the impact of these songs listening to them on the frictionless digital
                                  surface of a CD...namely: the bass intensive club sound system, the crowd,
                                  the drugs, the mix (such as it is...there ain't a lot of seamless/banal
                                  Oakentroll trance mixing goin on in the dancehall), basically the vibe...

                                  >I used to be turned off by these
                                  >compilations because the covers are so incredibly tacky . . . don't let
                                  >that
                                  >discourage.

                                  I use to feel the same way...but a decade of house & jungle comps (is it de
                                  rigeur for these things to have uniformly awful covers?) and hardcore rap
                                  (alla those post-No Limit glittering, fisheyed letters..) - not to mention
                                  all the metal I listen to as a teen - cured me of that...sometimes you just
                                  gotta swallow your taste and your pride...;)

                                  -Sprout

                                • trommer
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 7, 2001
                                    a side note...
                                    ...jamaica isn't the only source for dancehall, ragga, etc....
                                    toronto has the largest concentration of jamaicans outside of kingston,
                                    and has always quite a thriving scene with many small labels, vinyl
                                    cutters, a shit-load of little mom & pop hole-in-the-wall record stores
                                    (on eglinton ave: the black uhuru song 'youth of eglinton' is about the
                                    neighbourhood and michael rose has since relocated there)
                                    when d&b was in its infancy (when it was still popularily known as
                                    'jungle') there was alot of wicked hard raw ragga-jungle coming out of
                                    that scene...the whole dancehall scene is still very active here as
                                    well...

                                    worth checking out.
                                  • ZURAW,BRYAN LAWRENCE
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 7, 2001
                                      > surface of a CD...namely: the bass intensive club sound system, the crowd,
                                      > the drugs, the mix (such as it is...there ain't a lot of seamless/banal
                                      > Oakentroll trance mixing goin on in the dancehall), basically the vibe...

                                      i think yr right about this and it goes even further. it's been a long
                                      time since i went to dances (in montreal, and not all that much) but
                                      it was an ear-opening experience. the records are like dj tools - they're
                                      mixed with a live DJ (ie MC) and soemtimes a live singer too and cut in
                                      with lots of dubplates etc... i've never heard any dj scud/ambush stuff yr
                                      discussing, but the dancehall performance of a good sound seems
                                      to approach that density. if you can find good reggae radio shows -
                                      you also get a taste of this experience. i find this is the case with
                                      club oriented scenes generally - the records as is only give part of
                                      the flavour of the aural experience in the club, even discounting the
                                      lights, dancers and drugs and the pa.

                                      bryan

                                      ps. i live in la, and if anyone knows of such a radio show out here,
                                      please inform.
                                    • Jason Witherspoon
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 7, 2001
                                        At 11:06 AM -0700 4/6/01, Ryan Whitehead wrote:
                                        >But
                                        >today it's mostly 2 Step Garage which, though a guilty pleasure of mine, is
                                        >VERY conservative--morally, philosophically, musically, etc.

                                        I dunno-- a comp like _Family Planning_ really points to an outer
                                        edge for the whole 2 Step vibe-- or is that comp more "shiki shiki"?

                                        --

                                        Jason Witherspoon
                                        ICQ #62837760

                                        ---------
                                        ----O----
                                        --- ---
                                        --- ---
                                        ----O----
                                        ---------
                                      • Jess Harvell
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 7, 2001
                                          >i find this is the case with
                                          >club oriented scenes generally - the records as is only give part of
                                          >the flavour of the aural experience in the club, even discounting the
                                          >lights, dancers and drugs and the pa.

                                          Yeah...which is why most of these musics have yet to dent the American pop
                                          scene...rock crits are too blindered by devotion to the album format,
                                          deriving "meaning" from music in the standard, approved, literary way...and
                                          many tracks which can sound amazing "en mix" sound pitiable heard in
                                          isolation...so much of my favorite jungle (of the jump-up/hardstep variety)
                                          sounds thin and smallish as tracks...a sing songy bassline and a million
                                          Amen variations...dancehall even goes one step further...all those hundreds
                                          of tracks with a simple variation on the same riddim, like
                                          "doorslam"...dancehall radio shows in the US, at least the ones I've heard
                                          on NYC's Hot 97 and Philly's Power 99, tend to sound more like a pirate or a
                                          live mix: rowdy, party in studio vibe, if not "mixing" per se...certainly
                                          more energy than yer average MOR station...I think all music...the further
                                          it moves away from its "intended" (the club, the concert hall, the tightly
                                          focused pair of headphones) loses something, either in sound or vibe or
                                          both...and home listening of any sort is usually an approximation...

                                          -sprout

                                        • Ed Lynch-Bell
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 9, 2001
                                            Speaking of Lee Perry. Has anyone written a good bio on him?

                                            Ed
                                            --
                                            Ed Lynch-Bell
                                            mailto:dali@...