Re: [thewire] Lee Perry - a Jamaican Holger Czukay?

  • Jason Witherspoon
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 2 6:20 PM
      At 8:45 PM -0400 4/2/01, Jess Harvell wrote:
      >There are moments of Scratch, however brief, which justify every accolade
      >ever heaped upon him...dub's moment as hipster music of choice has passed
      >though (like krautrock and tropicalia after it) and I think he'll assume his
      >place in the pantheon, a little larger and a little less deserving, than his
      >more modest peers...

      The Congas, _Heart of the Congas_. Possibly the finest jewel to come
      from the Black Ark.

      --

      Jason Witherspoon
      ICQ #62837760

      ---------
      ----O----
      --- ---
      --- ---
      ----O----
      ---------
    • Rob Thornton
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 2 6:30 PM
        On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jason Witherspoon wrote:

        > At 8:45 PM -0400 4/2/01, Jess Harvell wrote:
        > >There are moments of Scratch, however brief, which justify every accolade
        > >ever heaped upon him...dub's moment as hipster music of choice has passed
        > >though (like krautrock and tropicalia after it) and I think he'll assume his
        > >place in the pantheon, a little larger and a little less deserving, than his
        > >more modest peers...
        >
        > The Congas, _Heart of the Congas_. Possibly the finest jewel to come
        > from the Black Ark.

        don't have much of the Upsetter's oeuvre, but _Heart of the Congos_ is a
        mighty work indeed and well worth yr money. an ace Blood & Fire reissue!

        robt
      • Rob Thornton
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 2 8:36 PM
          On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Rob Thornton wrote:

          > On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jason Witherspoon wrote:
          >
          > > At 8:45 PM -0400 4/2/01, Jess Harvell wrote:
          > > >There are moments of Scratch, however brief, which justify every accolade
          > > >ever heaped upon him...dub's moment as hipster music of choice has passed
          > > >though (like krautrock and tropicalia after it) and I think he'll assume his
          > > >place in the pantheon, a little larger and a little less deserving, than his
          > > >more modest peers...
          > >
          > > The Congas, _Heart of the Congas_. Possibly the finest jewel to come
          > > from the Black Ark.
          >
          > don't have much of the Upsetter's oeuvre, but _Heart of the Congos_ is a
          > mighty work indeed and well worth yr money. an ace Blood & Fire reissue!

          Just in case, folks, we're definitely talking about the Congos. The Congas
          are a late '70s Perry side project with Mongo Santamaria! (belated April
          Fools, ok?)

          robt
        • Keith McColl
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 3 1:09 AM
            also i dig 'secret laboratory' from 1990 - his finest electronic reggae
            journey -= plus ace sleeve . its like william orbit producin lee perry -
            sounds shit in theory but many a post mondays blissful sunny 1990 daytime
            spent trippin checkin the perryoid

            ***sleep trickled down around me,and the happy tune dissolved away into my
            dreams ***
            Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
            company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
            attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
            recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
            inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
            e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

          • Jason Witherspoon
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 3 1:17 AM
              At 8:36 PM -0700 4/2/01, Rob Thornton wrote:
              >Just in case, folks, we're definitely talking about the Congos. The Congas
              >are a late '70s Perry side project with Mongo Santamaria! (belated April
              >Fools, ok?)
              >
              >robt

              Whoops! (Why I always got B-'s on my Spanish homework-- "as", "os",
              what's the diff??)

              --

              Jason Witherspoon
              ICQ #62837760

              ---------
              ----O----
              --- ---
              --- ---
              ----O----
              ---------
            • Jan Miloszewski
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 3 1:07 PM
                Perry's prolific output as artist and producer over a 35 year period is very
                patchy indeed - but his best stuff certainly justifies the hype and his
                influence on other artists is incalculable. he was at his peak in the mid to
                late 70's though there's plenty of good records before then, but I'd be very
                wary of anything from the 80's onwards. "Arkology" has some great tracks on
                it but suffers from containing too much filler material. if you want to hear
                some more - out of the millions of albums available you could do a lot worse
                than these....

                Super ape
                (classic mainly instrumental/dub album from the mid 70's)
                Return of the super ape
                (excellent album from 1978, also reissued as "The original super ape" with
                extra tracks)
                The Congos - Heart of the Congos
                (his best album as a producer, superbly reissued/repackaged by Blood & Fire)
                Revolution dub
                (there's a huge number of mostly very average Lee Perry dub albums on the
                market but this is a good one and is available at budget price on various
                labels)
                Voodooism
                (good compilation album on Pressure Sounds)

                rgs

                jklm
                co sie polepszy to sie popiepszy

                > Funny you mention Mr. Perry today, feeling cheerful and Springy today, I
                > drove in to town to the sounds of "Super Ape".
                >
                > The Arkology comp. is a great 'un...
                >
                > the only problem I have with it is that the "versions" often immediately
                > follow the actual songs, and not always being in the mood to hear three
                > consecutive arrangements of the same track in a row--I often use the
                random
                > play.
                >
                > But for overall content, recording quality, and packaging--it's a gem.
                >
                > Gary
                >

                > >From: "Coral Rumsey" <coral@...>
                > >To: <thewire@yahoogroups.com>
                > >Subject: [thewire] Lee Perry - a Jamaican Holger Czukay?
                > >Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 20:48:29 +0100
                > >
                > >As someone looking to find out more about Scratch (knowing him primarily
                by
                > >reputation) can anyone tell me if the 'Arkology' triple-discer
                compilation
                > >is a good 'un?
                > >
                > >ta
                > >
                > >Simon Fay
              • R. Lim
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 4 3:50 PM
                  On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jess Harvell wrote:

                  > Scratch can be exceedingly spotty, even at his Black Ark peak, and has left

                  Agreed, though his more song-focused production work stands up pretty well
                  from a consistency perspective. E.g. the 70s Upsetters singles (several
                  2CD volumes in a handsomely bound book package) and earlier rude boy
                  material (compiled on various CDs, my favorite of which is Chicken Scratch
                  on Heartbeat- actually the Wailers but released under Perry's name). It's
                  not 100% dub, but it is 100% great- I never really understood how someone
                  could listen only to dub and neglect all of the other fine offerings from
                  Jamaica.

                  Dubwise, I'll second the recommendation for Voodoism and also put in my
                  vote for Blackboard Jungle Dub, whose title track (version 1) is one of
                  the finest examples of dub murk around. A friend once remarked that she
                  likes that album because it doesn't really sound like anything else she's
                  ever heard and I agree. It's been reissued as part of the 2fer CD Scratch
                  Attack, on Ras.

                  -rob
                • jamello@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 4 4:26 PM

                    <<
                    P.S. To have said something useful in this post: could anyone comment on
                    releases by the label Bad Vugum? Are any essential listening? I've heard
                    some good things about Circle, but nothing else. Looks enigmatic.

                    There are at least a half dozen wonderful Circle CDs, check the online
                    catalog at Aquarius Records for details. Haven't heard anything else on the
                    label, I believe they release stuff long ago (probably out of print) from
                    pre-Sahko Jimi Tenor's early band.
                  • R. Lim
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 4 4:31 PM
                      On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 jamello@... wrote:

                      > catalog at Aquarius Records for details. Haven't heard anything else on the
                      > label, I believe they release stuff long ago (probably out of print) from
                      > pre-Sahko Jimi Tenor's early band.

                      Oh yeah- the album is out of print (recorded under the name Jimi Tenor and
                      His Shamans), but there's a couple of exclusive tracks on the in-print
                      compilation "Surprising Encounters." I haven't heard any of it, but I
                      just wanted to mention that the Dr. Gunni 7" with Doktor Motterfokker (or
                      whatever) is pretty sweet- it's also on a 7" on the pre-606 Vinyl
                      Communications which was a "sampler" of the two Bad Vugum singles.

                      -rob

                      ps- Heart of the Congos is an amazing album
                    • Kristopher S. Handley
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 5 9:10 AM
                        >From: "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@...>
                        >E.g. the 70s Upsetters singles (several
                        >2CD volumes in a handsomely bound book package)

                        I'm having a bit of trouble finding this; what's it called, how available is
                        it, what label, etc.?

                        Thanks,

                        ---s
                      • Jess Harvell
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 5 2:40 PM
                          >I never really understood how someone
                          >could listen only to dub and neglect all of the other fine offerings from
                          >Jamaica.

                          Agreed, of course, so let's get into the one area which no self-conscious
                          Wire hipster seems to talk about...modern Jamaican dancehall... I've really
                          gotten into this stuff over the last couple of years...mostly through
                          compilations like Greensleeves "Best Ragga Dancehall Of [Insert Year
                          Here]"... Aside from the obligatory gat popping and ho slappin, I'm amazed
                          at how completely funked up the rhythms are... Beenie Man's "Moses Cry" is
                          like '91 Belg-core techno slowed down to 1/3 the speed... There's an
                          Elephant Man track that's basically hard acid...wouldn't sound completely
                          out of place in a Richie Hawtin set... Even at their worst, the rest have a
                          similar skittery, fitful energy as the best Swiz Beats or Timbaland track...
                          Am I alone here in my facinated flirtation with this stuff??

                          -Sprout
                        • Ryan Whitehead
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 5 4:17 PM
                            >Am I alone here in my facinated flirtation with this stuff??

                            not at all. beyond roots and dub most people have no concept of the depth of
                            jamaican music . . . even the fact that all jamaican music is referred to as
                            "reggae" when, one could argue, the true "reggae" period was built up
                            to--from mento, to ska, to rocksteady, through the rebel period, to early
                            reggae, and true reggae--and then moved beyond--through dub, deejays,
                            dancehall, ragga, conscious ragga, etc.

                            a continuation of this can be seen in the fact that those viewed as the
                            paragons of jamaican music in the world at large--bob marley and lee
                            perry--were actually unique figures standing, in many ways, outside of
                            jamaican musics more dominant threads of sound systems, dancehalls,
                            prominent producers, etc. this is particularly true of Marley . . . But
                            that's a result of what i call the marlification of reggae (i've probably
                            exposed this theory on list before)--"everyone" thinks Marley is synonymous
                            with reggae, they hear reggae and ask if it's marley even if it sounds
                            nothing like marley.

                            with that brief rant out of the way, i'd like to point to a couple of
                            producers around the legendary time of Perry that are equally worthy of
                            investigation: Niney the Observer and Keith Hudson. Niney's Blood and Fire
                            collection is unstopable, as are Keith Hudson's Pick A Dub and Studio Kinda
                            Cloudy. I hear his Flesh of My Flesh is a frightful murk--in a good
                            way--but i've yet to find a copy. A couple song oriented lee perry
                            production to augment the recommendation of the Congoes--a pause for the
                            congoes to stress that this is one of the greatest pieces of jamaican music
                            ever recorded, particularly the two disc reissue of Blood and Fire--are the
                            Junior Byles collections Curly Locks and Beat Down Babylon, and the Max
                            Romeo discs Open the Iron Gate and War Inna Babylon.

                            But this started on the ragga front. In a perverse way, the interest to
                            wire-ites makes sense: check the Ambush records releases (particularly the
                            comp Mash Up The Place, a reference to the dancehalls), anything by DJ Scud
                            (the 7" on Machinebau, "total desctruction"), and the fantastic 7"s on Scuds
                            Jah Vengeance label (Bloodclaat Gangsta Youth's--aka Dj Scud--"Kill Or Be
                            Killed" and Jah Vengeance's--aka I-Sound--"No Light"). All fuse noizecore
                            with wicked ragga sounds. Pull out the recommendations for wicked ragga . .
                            . I don't think I'm the only one that's interested.

                          • Jason Witherspoon
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 5 4:34 PM
                              At 4:17 PM -0700 4/5/01, Ryan Whitehead wrote:
                              >Niney's Blood and Fire
                              >collection is unstopable, as are Keith Hudson's Pick A Dub and Studio Kinda
                              >Cloudy.

                              What's the Niney Blood & Fire collection called? I can't find any
                              info on their seemingly-otherwise-up-to-date website--

                              Completely agreed on the _Pick a Dub_-- great great album. I've also
                              been very heavily into the Chantells & Friends _Children of Jah_ B&F
                              comp; it's basically a comp of Roy Francis' tiny but excellent Phase
                              One label from '77-'79. The best stuff on here reminds me much of
                              the Congos, & there's a smattering of neato moogy action which makes
                              it all the more excellent, though the meat of the matter is the
                              wonderful songs.

                              --

                              Jason Witherspoon
                              ICQ #62837760

                              ---------
                              ----O----
                              --- ---
                              --- ---
                              ----O----
                              ---------
                            • Ryan Whitehead
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 5 6:44 PM
                                Oops--

                                couple errors. I too misspelled "Congos" . . . and Dj Scud's label is Full
                                Watts, not Jah Vengeance. As I said, Jah Vengeance is a nome-de-stylus of
                                I-Sound . . . Just the lunacy of a late night at work.

                                The Niney album is actually titled "Blood And Fire: Niney and Friends". It's
                                on Trojan. Sorry for the misleading comment . . . There's just so damned
                                much blood and fire and jah swirling around when one speaks of jamaican
                                sounds that it's hard to keep it all straight.

                                ryan

                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 6 6:09 AM
                                  < not at all. beyond roots and dub most people have no concept of the depth of jamaican music . . . even the fact that all jamaican music is referred to as
                                  "reggae" when, one could argue, the true "reggae" period was built up to--from mento, to ska, to rocksteady, through the rebel period, to early
                                  reggae, and true reggae--and then moved beyond--through dub, deejays, dancehall, ragga, conscious ragga, etc. >

                                  Exactly the point I was going to make. I have the kind folks at Soul Jazz for opening my eyes, the four "Dynamite" comps have literally no dub tracks and clued me in to some wonderful examples of various "reggae" styles. Hell, I even went out and bought a Prince Buster compilation recently!

                                  RE: dancehall, Simon Reynolds' web page has a "faves of 2000" article with an entire section devoted to the genre. He too points out how the riddims are wack, merging elements of techno and hiphop (The Elephant Man CD even concludes with a take on a DMX track.)

                                  Of course, you still have to get over the playa/gangsta lyrics on some tracks, but overall a fun spin.
                                • JacobM
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 6 7:12 AM
                                    when the subject turns to ragga it always seems to end with someone
                                    mentioning Dj scud/ambush

                                    i'd love to hear of any genuine ragga records that feature harder than hard
                                    sounds..
                                    bashment records, bass saturated Dj mix tapes, etc..
                                    one to look out for..
                                    elephant man- cd killa-- voice processing cd skipping effects..

                                    any other sugestions?

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 6 10:44 AM
                                      On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Kristopher S. Handley wrote:

                                      > >From: "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@...>
                                      > >E.g. the 70s Upsetters singles (several
                                      > >2CD volumes in a handsomely bound book package)
                                      >
                                      > I'm having a bit of trouble finding this; what's it called, how available is
                                      > it, what label, etc.?

                                      The Complete Upsetter Singles Collection, vols 1-3 (a fourth is due next
                                      month- I haven't had a chance to hear the third one yet). They're on
                                      Trojan, so they should run you about $30/each.

                                      -rob
                                    • Ryan Whitehead
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 6 11:06 AM
                                        Oh, correction: this has not ended up with someone mentioning DJ Scud, but
                                        begun with someone mentioning DJ Scud. I'm not sure if this is saying
                                        "everyone knows this stuff . . . don't mention it" or "it's crap . . . don't
                                        mention it" or just "hey, look, you mentioned it". Anyway, I think that the
                                        releases I mentioned are excellent and there aren't many other people
                                        currently integrating ragga into adventurous music--please correct me if i'm
                                        wrong. Sure, in the days of old, jungle and the bristol stuff took up
                                        dancehall/ragga and ran it well into their chosen genre's burst seams. But
                                        today it's mostly 2 Step Garage which, though a guilty pleasure of mine, is
                                        VERY conservative--morally, philosophically, musically, etc.

                                        When diving into "true" ragga, I often feel like i've just missed that
                                        energy that overwhelms the best Ambush/full watts/noizecore ragga tracks.
                                        some older stuff that's not as fried as we're looking for, but excellent
                                        nonetheless: Bounty Killer's "My Xperience", Ninja Man's "Bounty Hunter",
                                        the "Hardcore Ragga" compilation, and maybe the "Ragga Essentials: In A
                                        Dancehall Style" compilation. Though uniformly excellent, most of these are
                                        less packed with insanity than I want. I have the impression that the truly
                                        wild stuff is hidden throughout the mass production of tracks, the broken
                                        down wax factories of jamaican ghettos--am I off the mark here?

                                        Though someone already mentioned it, Simon Reynold's site does point to many
                                        promising sounding compilations. I've got the "Dancehall 101" compilations
                                        on VP, packed with good tracks and the occassional cage rattling rhythm, and
                                        several of the "Strictly The Best" compilations, which follow the same
                                        unpredictable good/great pattern. I used to be turned off by these
                                        compilations because the covers are so incredibly tacky . . . don't let that
                                        discourage. The Rough Guide to reggae also has chapters on Ragga and
                                        Dancehall that pull out the historical inflection points.

                                        rw out*

                                        >when the subject turns to ragga it always seems to end with someone
                                        >mentioning Dj scud/ambush
                                        >
                                        >i'd love to hear of any genuine ragga records that feature harder than hard
                                        >sounds..
                                        > bashment records, bass saturated Dj mix tapes, etc..
                                        >one to look out for..
                                        >elephant man- cd killa-- voice processing cd skipping effects..
                                        >
                                        >any other sugestions?

                                      • Jess Harvell
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 7 5:16 AM
                                          >I have the impression that the truly
                                          >wild stuff is hidden throughout the mass production of tracks, the broken
                                          >down wax factories of jamaican ghettos--am I off the mark here?

                                          No, I think you're bang on...that was kinda what I was trying to say when I
                                          started (this end) of the thread...(I guess in the vain hopes that there
                                          would be someone here that was inordinantly expertised in the genre)...I
                                          think to find the truly out there one offs you have to be "living the life,"
                                          i.e. scouring dingy record stores wallpapered with little 7" singles...it's
                                          like any subculture, throw a newbie into the mix and he's not gonna be able
                                          to distinguish DJ Hype from Aquasky, Napalm Death from Stryper...except by
                                          listening, exploring, yadda, yadda...also, I think we're missing a lot of
                                          the impact of these songs listening to them on the frictionless digital
                                          surface of a CD...namely: the bass intensive club sound system, the crowd,
                                          the drugs, the mix (such as it is...there ain't a lot of seamless/banal
                                          Oakentroll trance mixing goin on in the dancehall), basically the vibe...

                                          >I used to be turned off by these
                                          >compilations because the covers are so incredibly tacky . . . don't let
                                          >that
                                          >discourage.

                                          I use to feel the same way...but a decade of house & jungle comps (is it de
                                          rigeur for these things to have uniformly awful covers?) and hardcore rap
                                          (alla those post-No Limit glittering, fisheyed letters..) - not to mention
                                          all the metal I listen to as a teen - cured me of that...sometimes you just
                                          gotta swallow your taste and your pride...;)

                                          -Sprout

                                        • trommer
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 7 6:12 AM
                                            a side note...
                                            ...jamaica isn't the only source for dancehall, ragga, etc....
                                            toronto has the largest concentration of jamaicans outside of kingston,
                                            and has always quite a thriving scene with many small labels, vinyl
                                            cutters, a shit-load of little mom & pop hole-in-the-wall record stores
                                            (on eglinton ave: the black uhuru song 'youth of eglinton' is about the
                                            neighbourhood and michael rose has since relocated there)
                                            when d&b was in its infancy (when it was still popularily known as
                                            'jungle') there was alot of wicked hard raw ragga-jungle coming out of
                                            that scene...the whole dancehall scene is still very active here as
                                            well...

                                            worth checking out.
                                          • ZURAW,BRYAN LAWRENCE
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 7 10:24 AM
                                              > surface of a CD...namely: the bass intensive club sound system, the crowd,
                                              > the drugs, the mix (such as it is...there ain't a lot of seamless/banal
                                              > Oakentroll trance mixing goin on in the dancehall), basically the vibe...

                                              i think yr right about this and it goes even further. it's been a long
                                              time since i went to dances (in montreal, and not all that much) but
                                              it was an ear-opening experience. the records are like dj tools - they're
                                              mixed with a live DJ (ie MC) and soemtimes a live singer too and cut in
                                              with lots of dubplates etc... i've never heard any dj scud/ambush stuff yr
                                              discussing, but the dancehall performance of a good sound seems
                                              to approach that density. if you can find good reggae radio shows -
                                              you also get a taste of this experience. i find this is the case with
                                              club oriented scenes generally - the records as is only give part of
                                              the flavour of the aural experience in the club, even discounting the
                                              lights, dancers and drugs and the pa.

                                              bryan

                                              ps. i live in la, and if anyone knows of such a radio show out here,
                                              please inform.
                                            • Jason Witherspoon
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Apr 7 12:17 PM
                                                At 11:06 AM -0700 4/6/01, Ryan Whitehead wrote:
                                                >But
                                                >today it's mostly 2 Step Garage which, though a guilty pleasure of mine, is
                                                >VERY conservative--morally, philosophically, musically, etc.

                                                I dunno-- a comp like _Family Planning_ really points to an outer
                                                edge for the whole 2 Step vibe-- or is that comp more "shiki shiki"?

                                                --

                                                Jason Witherspoon
                                                ICQ #62837760

                                                ---------
                                                ----O----
                                                --- ---
                                                --- ---
                                                ----O----
                                                ---------
                                              • Jess Harvell
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Apr 7 3:04 PM
                                                  >i find this is the case with
                                                  >club oriented scenes generally - the records as is only give part of
                                                  >the flavour of the aural experience in the club, even discounting the
                                                  >lights, dancers and drugs and the pa.

                                                  Yeah...which is why most of these musics have yet to dent the American pop
                                                  scene...rock crits are too blindered by devotion to the album format,
                                                  deriving "meaning" from music in the standard, approved, literary way...and
                                                  many tracks which can sound amazing "en mix" sound pitiable heard in
                                                  isolation...so much of my favorite jungle (of the jump-up/hardstep variety)
                                                  sounds thin and smallish as tracks...a sing songy bassline and a million
                                                  Amen variations...dancehall even goes one step further...all those hundreds
                                                  of tracks with a simple variation on the same riddim, like
                                                  "doorslam"...dancehall radio shows in the US, at least the ones I've heard
                                                  on NYC's Hot 97 and Philly's Power 99, tend to sound more like a pirate or a
                                                  live mix: rowdy, party in studio vibe, if not "mixing" per se...certainly
                                                  more energy than yer average MOR station...I think all music...the further
                                                  it moves away from its "intended" (the club, the concert hall, the tightly
                                                  focused pair of headphones) loses something, either in sound or vibe or
                                                  both...and home listening of any sort is usually an approximation...

                                                  -sprout

                                                • Ed Lynch-Bell
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Apr 9 12:22 AM
                                                    Speaking of Lee Perry. Has anyone written a good bio on him?

                                                    Ed
                                                    --
                                                    Ed Lynch-Bell
                                                    mailto:dali@...