Re: [thewire] Lee Perry - a Jamaican Holger Czukay?

  • Robert Traxler
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 2 4:59 PM
      >From: "Coral Rumsey" <coral@...>
      >As someone looking to find out more about Scratch (knowing him primarily by
      >reputation) can anyone tell me if the 'Arkology' triple-discer compilation
      >is a good 'un?

      hrm...i had heard great things about Lee Perry and i had expected him to be
      good...but then my friend got that Arkology comp and we all listened to it
      and agreed that it, in fact, sucks...but a lot of ppl think he's great and
      innovative...which i don't get in the slightest...and i like a good bit of
      reggae/dub...i was terribly disapponted and personally don't think he comes
      close to living up to his hype...but you might disagree...that box is what
      the ppl who like Lee Perry tend to say his good stuff is...which i'm sure
      you prob'ly have already heard...
      -robert
    • Jess Harvell
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 2 5:45 PM
        >hrm...i had heard great things about Lee Perry and i had expected him to be
        >good...but then my friend got that Arkology comp and we all listened to it
        >and agreed that it, in fact, sucks...

        I would disagree heartily that Arkology and Scratch suck..."Make Up Your
        Mind" by the Heptones and its version "Why Must I?" on disc three are two of
        my favorite slices of roots/dub...I will agree, however, that anyone who's
        been hyped as much as Perry has over the last decade or so is bound to fall
        somewhat short...

        Scratch can be exceedingly spotty, even at his Black Ark peak, and has left
        a trail of work for the last twenty or so years that ranges from mediocre to
        downright appalling...his legacy is far from the perfection of, say, King
        Tubby, who was producing work of quality, if not always startling
        innovation, until the day he died...

        I suspect that Simon Reynolds hit it on the head in his recent thinkpiece on
        the roots/dub continuum: that Perry's larger than life personality and
        eccentricities (which often spill into his work...the mooing cows, for
        example) have made him a star for everyone from dour post-rockers to Grand
        Royal-fetishizing college b-boys...the word games, bizarre dress, personal
        contradictions...the've made him a celebrity even among those who profess to
        loathe celebrity...given a face to the otherwise self-effacing world of the
        Jamaican studio system...

        There are moments of Scratch, however brief, which justify every accolade
        ever heaped upon him...dub's moment as hipster music of choice has passed
        though (like krautrock and tropicalia after it) and I think he'll assume his
        place in the pantheon, a little larger and a little less deserving, than his
        more modest peers...

      • Jason Witherspoon
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 2 6:20 PM
          At 8:45 PM -0400 4/2/01, Jess Harvell wrote:
          >There are moments of Scratch, however brief, which justify every accolade
          >ever heaped upon him...dub's moment as hipster music of choice has passed
          >though (like krautrock and tropicalia after it) and I think he'll assume his
          >place in the pantheon, a little larger and a little less deserving, than his
          >more modest peers...

          The Congas, _Heart of the Congas_. Possibly the finest jewel to come
          from the Black Ark.

          --

          Jason Witherspoon
          ICQ #62837760

          ---------
          ----O----
          --- ---
          --- ---
          ----O----
          ---------
        • Rob Thornton
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 2 6:30 PM
            On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jason Witherspoon wrote:

            > At 8:45 PM -0400 4/2/01, Jess Harvell wrote:
            > >There are moments of Scratch, however brief, which justify every accolade
            > >ever heaped upon him...dub's moment as hipster music of choice has passed
            > >though (like krautrock and tropicalia after it) and I think he'll assume his
            > >place in the pantheon, a little larger and a little less deserving, than his
            > >more modest peers...
            >
            > The Congas, _Heart of the Congas_. Possibly the finest jewel to come
            > from the Black Ark.

            don't have much of the Upsetter's oeuvre, but _Heart of the Congos_ is a
            mighty work indeed and well worth yr money. an ace Blood & Fire reissue!

            robt
          • Rob Thornton
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 2 8:36 PM
              On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Rob Thornton wrote:

              > On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jason Witherspoon wrote:
              >
              > > At 8:45 PM -0400 4/2/01, Jess Harvell wrote:
              > > >There are moments of Scratch, however brief, which justify every accolade
              > > >ever heaped upon him...dub's moment as hipster music of choice has passed
              > > >though (like krautrock and tropicalia after it) and I think he'll assume his
              > > >place in the pantheon, a little larger and a little less deserving, than his
              > > >more modest peers...
              > >
              > > The Congas, _Heart of the Congas_. Possibly the finest jewel to come
              > > from the Black Ark.
              >
              > don't have much of the Upsetter's oeuvre, but _Heart of the Congos_ is a
              > mighty work indeed and well worth yr money. an ace Blood & Fire reissue!

              Just in case, folks, we're definitely talking about the Congos. The Congas
              are a late '70s Perry side project with Mongo Santamaria! (belated April
              Fools, ok?)

              robt
            • Keith McColl
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 3 1:09 AM
                also i dig 'secret laboratory' from 1990 - his finest electronic reggae
                journey -= plus ace sleeve . its like william orbit producin lee perry -
                sounds shit in theory but many a post mondays blissful sunny 1990 daytime
                spent trippin checkin the perryoid

                ***sleep trickled down around me,and the happy tune dissolved away into my
                dreams ***
                Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
                company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
                attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
                recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
                inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
                e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

              • Jason Witherspoon
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 3 1:17 AM
                  At 8:36 PM -0700 4/2/01, Rob Thornton wrote:
                  >Just in case, folks, we're definitely talking about the Congos. The Congas
                  >are a late '70s Perry side project with Mongo Santamaria! (belated April
                  >Fools, ok?)
                  >
                  >robt

                  Whoops! (Why I always got B-'s on my Spanish homework-- "as", "os",
                  what's the diff??)

                  --

                  Jason Witherspoon
                  ICQ #62837760

                  ---------
                  ----O----
                  --- ---
                  --- ---
                  ----O----
                  ---------
                • Jan Miloszewski
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 3 1:07 PM
                    Perry's prolific output as artist and producer over a 35 year period is very
                    patchy indeed - but his best stuff certainly justifies the hype and his
                    influence on other artists is incalculable. he was at his peak in the mid to
                    late 70's though there's plenty of good records before then, but I'd be very
                    wary of anything from the 80's onwards. "Arkology" has some great tracks on
                    it but suffers from containing too much filler material. if you want to hear
                    some more - out of the millions of albums available you could do a lot worse
                    than these....

                    Super ape
                    (classic mainly instrumental/dub album from the mid 70's)
                    Return of the super ape
                    (excellent album from 1978, also reissued as "The original super ape" with
                    extra tracks)
                    The Congos - Heart of the Congos
                    (his best album as a producer, superbly reissued/repackaged by Blood & Fire)
                    Revolution dub
                    (there's a huge number of mostly very average Lee Perry dub albums on the
                    market but this is a good one and is available at budget price on various
                    labels)
                    Voodooism
                    (good compilation album on Pressure Sounds)

                    rgs

                    jklm
                    co sie polepszy to sie popiepszy

                    > Funny you mention Mr. Perry today, feeling cheerful and Springy today, I
                    > drove in to town to the sounds of "Super Ape".
                    >
                    > The Arkology comp. is a great 'un...
                    >
                    > the only problem I have with it is that the "versions" often immediately
                    > follow the actual songs, and not always being in the mood to hear three
                    > consecutive arrangements of the same track in a row--I often use the
                    random
                    > play.
                    >
                    > But for overall content, recording quality, and packaging--it's a gem.
                    >
                    > Gary
                    >

                    > >From: "Coral Rumsey" <coral@...>
                    > >To: <thewire@yahoogroups.com>
                    > >Subject: [thewire] Lee Perry - a Jamaican Holger Czukay?
                    > >Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 20:48:29 +0100
                    > >
                    > >As someone looking to find out more about Scratch (knowing him primarily
                    by
                    > >reputation) can anyone tell me if the 'Arkology' triple-discer
                    compilation
                    > >is a good 'un?
                    > >
                    > >ta
                    > >
                    > >Simon Fay
                  • R. Lim
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 4 3:50 PM
                      On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jess Harvell wrote:

                      > Scratch can be exceedingly spotty, even at his Black Ark peak, and has left

                      Agreed, though his more song-focused production work stands up pretty well
                      from a consistency perspective. E.g. the 70s Upsetters singles (several
                      2CD volumes in a handsomely bound book package) and earlier rude boy
                      material (compiled on various CDs, my favorite of which is Chicken Scratch
                      on Heartbeat- actually the Wailers but released under Perry's name). It's
                      not 100% dub, but it is 100% great- I never really understood how someone
                      could listen only to dub and neglect all of the other fine offerings from
                      Jamaica.

                      Dubwise, I'll second the recommendation for Voodoism and also put in my
                      vote for Blackboard Jungle Dub, whose title track (version 1) is one of
                      the finest examples of dub murk around. A friend once remarked that she
                      likes that album because it doesn't really sound like anything else she's
                      ever heard and I agree. It's been reissued as part of the 2fer CD Scratch
                      Attack, on Ras.

                      -rob
                    • jamello@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 4 4:26 PM

                        <<
                        P.S. To have said something useful in this post: could anyone comment on
                        releases by the label Bad Vugum? Are any essential listening? I've heard
                        some good things about Circle, but nothing else. Looks enigmatic.

                        There are at least a half dozen wonderful Circle CDs, check the online
                        catalog at Aquarius Records for details. Haven't heard anything else on the
                        label, I believe they release stuff long ago (probably out of print) from
                        pre-Sahko Jimi Tenor's early band.
                      • R. Lim
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 4 4:31 PM
                          On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 jamello@... wrote:

                          > catalog at Aquarius Records for details. Haven't heard anything else on the
                          > label, I believe they release stuff long ago (probably out of print) from
                          > pre-Sahko Jimi Tenor's early band.

                          Oh yeah- the album is out of print (recorded under the name Jimi Tenor and
                          His Shamans), but there's a couple of exclusive tracks on the in-print
                          compilation "Surprising Encounters." I haven't heard any of it, but I
                          just wanted to mention that the Dr. Gunni 7" with Doktor Motterfokker (or
                          whatever) is pretty sweet- it's also on a 7" on the pre-606 Vinyl
                          Communications which was a "sampler" of the two Bad Vugum singles.

                          -rob

                          ps- Heart of the Congos is an amazing album
                        • Kristopher S. Handley
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 5 9:10 AM
                            >From: "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@...>
                            >E.g. the 70s Upsetters singles (several
                            >2CD volumes in a handsomely bound book package)

                            I'm having a bit of trouble finding this; what's it called, how available is
                            it, what label, etc.?

                            Thanks,

                            ---s
                          • Jess Harvell
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 5 2:40 PM
                              >I never really understood how someone
                              >could listen only to dub and neglect all of the other fine offerings from
                              >Jamaica.

                              Agreed, of course, so let's get into the one area which no self-conscious
                              Wire hipster seems to talk about...modern Jamaican dancehall... I've really
                              gotten into this stuff over the last couple of years...mostly through
                              compilations like Greensleeves "Best Ragga Dancehall Of [Insert Year
                              Here]"... Aside from the obligatory gat popping and ho slappin, I'm amazed
                              at how completely funked up the rhythms are... Beenie Man's "Moses Cry" is
                              like '91 Belg-core techno slowed down to 1/3 the speed... There's an
                              Elephant Man track that's basically hard acid...wouldn't sound completely
                              out of place in a Richie Hawtin set... Even at their worst, the rest have a
                              similar skittery, fitful energy as the best Swiz Beats or Timbaland track...
                              Am I alone here in my facinated flirtation with this stuff??

                              -Sprout
                            • Ryan Whitehead
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 5 4:17 PM
                                >Am I alone here in my facinated flirtation with this stuff??

                                not at all. beyond roots and dub most people have no concept of the depth of
                                jamaican music . . . even the fact that all jamaican music is referred to as
                                "reggae" when, one could argue, the true "reggae" period was built up
                                to--from mento, to ska, to rocksteady, through the rebel period, to early
                                reggae, and true reggae--and then moved beyond--through dub, deejays,
                                dancehall, ragga, conscious ragga, etc.

                                a continuation of this can be seen in the fact that those viewed as the
                                paragons of jamaican music in the world at large--bob marley and lee
                                perry--were actually unique figures standing, in many ways, outside of
                                jamaican musics more dominant threads of sound systems, dancehalls,
                                prominent producers, etc. this is particularly true of Marley . . . But
                                that's a result of what i call the marlification of reggae (i've probably
                                exposed this theory on list before)--"everyone" thinks Marley is synonymous
                                with reggae, they hear reggae and ask if it's marley even if it sounds
                                nothing like marley.

                                with that brief rant out of the way, i'd like to point to a couple of
                                producers around the legendary time of Perry that are equally worthy of
                                investigation: Niney the Observer and Keith Hudson. Niney's Blood and Fire
                                collection is unstopable, as are Keith Hudson's Pick A Dub and Studio Kinda
                                Cloudy. I hear his Flesh of My Flesh is a frightful murk--in a good
                                way--but i've yet to find a copy. A couple song oriented lee perry
                                production to augment the recommendation of the Congoes--a pause for the
                                congoes to stress that this is one of the greatest pieces of jamaican music
                                ever recorded, particularly the two disc reissue of Blood and Fire--are the
                                Junior Byles collections Curly Locks and Beat Down Babylon, and the Max
                                Romeo discs Open the Iron Gate and War Inna Babylon.

                                But this started on the ragga front. In a perverse way, the interest to
                                wire-ites makes sense: check the Ambush records releases (particularly the
                                comp Mash Up The Place, a reference to the dancehalls), anything by DJ Scud
                                (the 7" on Machinebau, "total desctruction"), and the fantastic 7"s on Scuds
                                Jah Vengeance label (Bloodclaat Gangsta Youth's--aka Dj Scud--"Kill Or Be
                                Killed" and Jah Vengeance's--aka I-Sound--"No Light"). All fuse noizecore
                                with wicked ragga sounds. Pull out the recommendations for wicked ragga . .
                                . I don't think I'm the only one that's interested.

                              • Jason Witherspoon
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 5 4:34 PM
                                  At 4:17 PM -0700 4/5/01, Ryan Whitehead wrote:
                                  >Niney's Blood and Fire
                                  >collection is unstopable, as are Keith Hudson's Pick A Dub and Studio Kinda
                                  >Cloudy.

                                  What's the Niney Blood & Fire collection called? I can't find any
                                  info on their seemingly-otherwise-up-to-date website--

                                  Completely agreed on the _Pick a Dub_-- great great album. I've also
                                  been very heavily into the Chantells & Friends _Children of Jah_ B&F
                                  comp; it's basically a comp of Roy Francis' tiny but excellent Phase
                                  One label from '77-'79. The best stuff on here reminds me much of
                                  the Congos, & there's a smattering of neato moogy action which makes
                                  it all the more excellent, though the meat of the matter is the
                                  wonderful songs.

                                  --

                                  Jason Witherspoon
                                  ICQ #62837760

                                  ---------
                                  ----O----
                                  --- ---
                                  --- ---
                                  ----O----
                                  ---------
                                • Ryan Whitehead
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 5 6:44 PM
                                    Oops--

                                    couple errors. I too misspelled "Congos" . . . and Dj Scud's label is Full
                                    Watts, not Jah Vengeance. As I said, Jah Vengeance is a nome-de-stylus of
                                    I-Sound . . . Just the lunacy of a late night at work.

                                    The Niney album is actually titled "Blood And Fire: Niney and Friends". It's
                                    on Trojan. Sorry for the misleading comment . . . There's just so damned
                                    much blood and fire and jah swirling around when one speaks of jamaican
                                    sounds that it's hard to keep it all straight.

                                    ryan

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 6 6:09 AM
                                      < not at all. beyond roots and dub most people have no concept of the depth of jamaican music . . . even the fact that all jamaican music is referred to as
                                      "reggae" when, one could argue, the true "reggae" period was built up to--from mento, to ska, to rocksteady, through the rebel period, to early
                                      reggae, and true reggae--and then moved beyond--through dub, deejays, dancehall, ragga, conscious ragga, etc. >

                                      Exactly the point I was going to make. I have the kind folks at Soul Jazz for opening my eyes, the four "Dynamite" comps have literally no dub tracks and clued me in to some wonderful examples of various "reggae" styles. Hell, I even went out and bought a Prince Buster compilation recently!

                                      RE: dancehall, Simon Reynolds' web page has a "faves of 2000" article with an entire section devoted to the genre. He too points out how the riddims are wack, merging elements of techno and hiphop (The Elephant Man CD even concludes with a take on a DMX track.)

                                      Of course, you still have to get over the playa/gangsta lyrics on some tracks, but overall a fun spin.
                                    • JacobM
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 6 7:12 AM
                                        when the subject turns to ragga it always seems to end with someone
                                        mentioning Dj scud/ambush

                                        i'd love to hear of any genuine ragga records that feature harder than hard
                                        sounds..
                                        bashment records, bass saturated Dj mix tapes, etc..
                                        one to look out for..
                                        elephant man- cd killa-- voice processing cd skipping effects..

                                        any other sugestions?

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 6 10:44 AM
                                          On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Kristopher S. Handley wrote:

                                          > >From: "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@...>
                                          > >E.g. the 70s Upsetters singles (several
                                          > >2CD volumes in a handsomely bound book package)
                                          >
                                          > I'm having a bit of trouble finding this; what's it called, how available is
                                          > it, what label, etc.?

                                          The Complete Upsetter Singles Collection, vols 1-3 (a fourth is due next
                                          month- I haven't had a chance to hear the third one yet). They're on
                                          Trojan, so they should run you about $30/each.

                                          -rob
                                        • Ryan Whitehead
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 6 11:06 AM
                                            Oh, correction: this has not ended up with someone mentioning DJ Scud, but
                                            begun with someone mentioning DJ Scud. I'm not sure if this is saying
                                            "everyone knows this stuff . . . don't mention it" or "it's crap . . . don't
                                            mention it" or just "hey, look, you mentioned it". Anyway, I think that the
                                            releases I mentioned are excellent and there aren't many other people
                                            currently integrating ragga into adventurous music--please correct me if i'm
                                            wrong. Sure, in the days of old, jungle and the bristol stuff took up
                                            dancehall/ragga and ran it well into their chosen genre's burst seams. But
                                            today it's mostly 2 Step Garage which, though a guilty pleasure of mine, is
                                            VERY conservative--morally, philosophically, musically, etc.

                                            When diving into "true" ragga, I often feel like i've just missed that
                                            energy that overwhelms the best Ambush/full watts/noizecore ragga tracks.
                                            some older stuff that's not as fried as we're looking for, but excellent
                                            nonetheless: Bounty Killer's "My Xperience", Ninja Man's "Bounty Hunter",
                                            the "Hardcore Ragga" compilation, and maybe the "Ragga Essentials: In A
                                            Dancehall Style" compilation. Though uniformly excellent, most of these are
                                            less packed with insanity than I want. I have the impression that the truly
                                            wild stuff is hidden throughout the mass production of tracks, the broken
                                            down wax factories of jamaican ghettos--am I off the mark here?

                                            Though someone already mentioned it, Simon Reynold's site does point to many
                                            promising sounding compilations. I've got the "Dancehall 101" compilations
                                            on VP, packed with good tracks and the occassional cage rattling rhythm, and
                                            several of the "Strictly The Best" compilations, which follow the same
                                            unpredictable good/great pattern. I used to be turned off by these
                                            compilations because the covers are so incredibly tacky . . . don't let that
                                            discourage. The Rough Guide to reggae also has chapters on Ragga and
                                            Dancehall that pull out the historical inflection points.

                                            rw out*

                                            >when the subject turns to ragga it always seems to end with someone
                                            >mentioning Dj scud/ambush
                                            >
                                            >i'd love to hear of any genuine ragga records that feature harder than hard
                                            >sounds..
                                            > bashment records, bass saturated Dj mix tapes, etc..
                                            >one to look out for..
                                            >elephant man- cd killa-- voice processing cd skipping effects..
                                            >
                                            >any other sugestions?

                                          • Jess Harvell
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 7 5:16 AM
                                              >I have the impression that the truly
                                              >wild stuff is hidden throughout the mass production of tracks, the broken
                                              >down wax factories of jamaican ghettos--am I off the mark here?

                                              No, I think you're bang on...that was kinda what I was trying to say when I
                                              started (this end) of the thread...(I guess in the vain hopes that there
                                              would be someone here that was inordinantly expertised in the genre)...I
                                              think to find the truly out there one offs you have to be "living the life,"
                                              i.e. scouring dingy record stores wallpapered with little 7" singles...it's
                                              like any subculture, throw a newbie into the mix and he's not gonna be able
                                              to distinguish DJ Hype from Aquasky, Napalm Death from Stryper...except by
                                              listening, exploring, yadda, yadda...also, I think we're missing a lot of
                                              the impact of these songs listening to them on the frictionless digital
                                              surface of a CD...namely: the bass intensive club sound system, the crowd,
                                              the drugs, the mix (such as it is...there ain't a lot of seamless/banal
                                              Oakentroll trance mixing goin on in the dancehall), basically the vibe...

                                              >I used to be turned off by these
                                              >compilations because the covers are so incredibly tacky . . . don't let
                                              >that
                                              >discourage.

                                              I use to feel the same way...but a decade of house & jungle comps (is it de
                                              rigeur for these things to have uniformly awful covers?) and hardcore rap
                                              (alla those post-No Limit glittering, fisheyed letters..) - not to mention
                                              all the metal I listen to as a teen - cured me of that...sometimes you just
                                              gotta swallow your taste and your pride...;)

                                              -Sprout

                                            • trommer
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Apr 7 6:12 AM
                                                a side note...
                                                ...jamaica isn't the only source for dancehall, ragga, etc....
                                                toronto has the largest concentration of jamaicans outside of kingston,
                                                and has always quite a thriving scene with many small labels, vinyl
                                                cutters, a shit-load of little mom & pop hole-in-the-wall record stores
                                                (on eglinton ave: the black uhuru song 'youth of eglinton' is about the
                                                neighbourhood and michael rose has since relocated there)
                                                when d&b was in its infancy (when it was still popularily known as
                                                'jungle') there was alot of wicked hard raw ragga-jungle coming out of
                                                that scene...the whole dancehall scene is still very active here as
                                                well...

                                                worth checking out.
                                              • ZURAW,BRYAN LAWRENCE
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Apr 7 10:24 AM
                                                  > surface of a CD...namely: the bass intensive club sound system, the crowd,
                                                  > the drugs, the mix (such as it is...there ain't a lot of seamless/banal
                                                  > Oakentroll trance mixing goin on in the dancehall), basically the vibe...

                                                  i think yr right about this and it goes even further. it's been a long
                                                  time since i went to dances (in montreal, and not all that much) but
                                                  it was an ear-opening experience. the records are like dj tools - they're
                                                  mixed with a live DJ (ie MC) and soemtimes a live singer too and cut in
                                                  with lots of dubplates etc... i've never heard any dj scud/ambush stuff yr
                                                  discussing, but the dancehall performance of a good sound seems
                                                  to approach that density. if you can find good reggae radio shows -
                                                  you also get a taste of this experience. i find this is the case with
                                                  club oriented scenes generally - the records as is only give part of
                                                  the flavour of the aural experience in the club, even discounting the
                                                  lights, dancers and drugs and the pa.

                                                  bryan

                                                  ps. i live in la, and if anyone knows of such a radio show out here,
                                                  please inform.
                                                • Jason Witherspoon
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Apr 7 12:17 PM
                                                    At 11:06 AM -0700 4/6/01, Ryan Whitehead wrote:
                                                    >But
                                                    >today it's mostly 2 Step Garage which, though a guilty pleasure of mine, is
                                                    >VERY conservative--morally, philosophically, musically, etc.

                                                    I dunno-- a comp like _Family Planning_ really points to an outer
                                                    edge for the whole 2 Step vibe-- or is that comp more "shiki shiki"?

                                                    --

                                                    Jason Witherspoon
                                                    ICQ #62837760

                                                    ---------
                                                    ----O----
                                                    --- ---
                                                    --- ---
                                                    ----O----
                                                    ---------
                                                  • Jess Harvell
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Apr 7 3:04 PM
                                                      >i find this is the case with
                                                      >club oriented scenes generally - the records as is only give part of
                                                      >the flavour of the aural experience in the club, even discounting the
                                                      >lights, dancers and drugs and the pa.

                                                      Yeah...which is why most of these musics have yet to dent the American pop
                                                      scene...rock crits are too blindered by devotion to the album format,
                                                      deriving "meaning" from music in the standard, approved, literary way...and
                                                      many tracks which can sound amazing "en mix" sound pitiable heard in
                                                      isolation...so much of my favorite jungle (of the jump-up/hardstep variety)
                                                      sounds thin and smallish as tracks...a sing songy bassline and a million
                                                      Amen variations...dancehall even goes one step further...all those hundreds
                                                      of tracks with a simple variation on the same riddim, like
                                                      "doorslam"...dancehall radio shows in the US, at least the ones I've heard
                                                      on NYC's Hot 97 and Philly's Power 99, tend to sound more like a pirate or a
                                                      live mix: rowdy, party in studio vibe, if not "mixing" per se...certainly
                                                      more energy than yer average MOR station...I think all music...the further
                                                      it moves away from its "intended" (the club, the concert hall, the tightly
                                                      focused pair of headphones) loses something, either in sound or vibe or
                                                      both...and home listening of any sort is usually an approximation...

                                                      -sprout

                                                    • Ed Lynch-Bell
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Apr 9 12:22 AM
                                                        Speaking of Lee Perry. Has anyone written a good bio on him?

                                                        Ed
                                                        --
                                                        Ed Lynch-Bell
                                                        mailto:dali@...