Re: [thewire] Lee Perry - a Jamaican Holger Czukay?

  • R. Lim
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 2, 2001
      On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Kristopher S. Handley wrote:

      > In a recent SIGNAL TO NOISE, DJ Spooky That Ubiquitous Kid was quoted as
      > saying, "Iannis Xenakis is the Lee 'Scratch' Perry of classical music,"
      > something to that effect. I wonder if the obverse (?) is true: is the

      I wonder what he meant?

      > P.S. To have said something useful in this post: could anyone comment on
      > releases by the label Bad Vugum? Are any essential listening? I've heard
      > some good things about Circle, but nothing else. Looks enigmatic.

      The best things on Bad Vugum early on were the first few Liiminarina 7"es
      (pre-dating their full-length on Drag City) and Radiopuhelimet (who had
      some sort of comp on Alternative Tentacles in the early 90s). I believe
      the latter moved to another label and I can't really remember specifics of
      releases, etc. In fact, if anybody has a copy of KO they want to trade,
      I'm still looking for one.

      Other than that, there were a lot of seemingly weird-for-weird's sake
      records. The first Keuhkot single was kind of cool, though. I never
      really liked Circle. Liiminarina were often compared to Half Japanese, by
      the way.

      -rob
    • Robert Traxler
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 2, 2001
        >From: "Coral Rumsey" <coral@...>
        >As someone looking to find out more about Scratch (knowing him primarily by
        >reputation) can anyone tell me if the 'Arkology' triple-discer compilation
        >is a good 'un?

        hrm...i had heard great things about Lee Perry and i had expected him to be
        good...but then my friend got that Arkology comp and we all listened to it
        and agreed that it, in fact, sucks...but a lot of ppl think he's great and
        innovative...which i don't get in the slightest...and i like a good bit of
        reggae/dub...i was terribly disapponted and personally don't think he comes
        close to living up to his hype...but you might disagree...that box is what
        the ppl who like Lee Perry tend to say his good stuff is...which i'm sure
        you prob'ly have already heard...
        -robert
      • Jess Harvell
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 2, 2001
          >hrm...i had heard great things about Lee Perry and i had expected him to be
          >good...but then my friend got that Arkology comp and we all listened to it
          >and agreed that it, in fact, sucks...

          I would disagree heartily that Arkology and Scratch suck..."Make Up Your
          Mind" by the Heptones and its version "Why Must I?" on disc three are two of
          my favorite slices of roots/dub...I will agree, however, that anyone who's
          been hyped as much as Perry has over the last decade or so is bound to fall
          somewhat short...

          Scratch can be exceedingly spotty, even at his Black Ark peak, and has left
          a trail of work for the last twenty or so years that ranges from mediocre to
          downright appalling...his legacy is far from the perfection of, say, King
          Tubby, who was producing work of quality, if not always startling
          innovation, until the day he died...

          I suspect that Simon Reynolds hit it on the head in his recent thinkpiece on
          the roots/dub continuum: that Perry's larger than life personality and
          eccentricities (which often spill into his work...the mooing cows, for
          example) have made him a star for everyone from dour post-rockers to Grand
          Royal-fetishizing college b-boys...the word games, bizarre dress, personal
          contradictions...the've made him a celebrity even among those who profess to
          loathe celebrity...given a face to the otherwise self-effacing world of the
          Jamaican studio system...

          There are moments of Scratch, however brief, which justify every accolade
          ever heaped upon him...dub's moment as hipster music of choice has passed
          though (like krautrock and tropicalia after it) and I think he'll assume his
          place in the pantheon, a little larger and a little less deserving, than his
          more modest peers...

        • Jason Witherspoon
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 2, 2001
            At 8:45 PM -0400 4/2/01, Jess Harvell wrote:
            >There are moments of Scratch, however brief, which justify every accolade
            >ever heaped upon him...dub's moment as hipster music of choice has passed
            >though (like krautrock and tropicalia after it) and I think he'll assume his
            >place in the pantheon, a little larger and a little less deserving, than his
            >more modest peers...

            The Congas, _Heart of the Congas_. Possibly the finest jewel to come
            from the Black Ark.

            --

            Jason Witherspoon
            ICQ #62837760

            ---------
            ----O----
            --- ---
            --- ---
            ----O----
            ---------
          • Rob Thornton
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 2, 2001
              On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jason Witherspoon wrote:

              > At 8:45 PM -0400 4/2/01, Jess Harvell wrote:
              > >There are moments of Scratch, however brief, which justify every accolade
              > >ever heaped upon him...dub's moment as hipster music of choice has passed
              > >though (like krautrock and tropicalia after it) and I think he'll assume his
              > >place in the pantheon, a little larger and a little less deserving, than his
              > >more modest peers...
              >
              > The Congas, _Heart of the Congas_. Possibly the finest jewel to come
              > from the Black Ark.

              don't have much of the Upsetter's oeuvre, but _Heart of the Congos_ is a
              mighty work indeed and well worth yr money. an ace Blood & Fire reissue!

              robt
            • Rob Thornton
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 2, 2001
                On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Rob Thornton wrote:

                > On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jason Witherspoon wrote:
                >
                > > At 8:45 PM -0400 4/2/01, Jess Harvell wrote:
                > > >There are moments of Scratch, however brief, which justify every accolade
                > > >ever heaped upon him...dub's moment as hipster music of choice has passed
                > > >though (like krautrock and tropicalia after it) and I think he'll assume his
                > > >place in the pantheon, a little larger and a little less deserving, than his
                > > >more modest peers...
                > >
                > > The Congas, _Heart of the Congas_. Possibly the finest jewel to come
                > > from the Black Ark.
                >
                > don't have much of the Upsetter's oeuvre, but _Heart of the Congos_ is a
                > mighty work indeed and well worth yr money. an ace Blood & Fire reissue!

                Just in case, folks, we're definitely talking about the Congos. The Congas
                are a late '70s Perry side project with Mongo Santamaria! (belated April
                Fools, ok?)

                robt
              • Keith McColl
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 3, 2001
                  also i dig 'secret laboratory' from 1990 - his finest electronic reggae
                  journey -= plus ace sleeve . its like william orbit producin lee perry -
                  sounds shit in theory but many a post mondays blissful sunny 1990 daytime
                  spent trippin checkin the perryoid

                  ***sleep trickled down around me,and the happy tune dissolved away into my
                  dreams ***
                  Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
                  company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
                  attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
                  recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
                  inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
                  e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

                • Jason Witherspoon
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 3, 2001
                    At 8:36 PM -0700 4/2/01, Rob Thornton wrote:
                    >Just in case, folks, we're definitely talking about the Congos. The Congas
                    >are a late '70s Perry side project with Mongo Santamaria! (belated April
                    >Fools, ok?)
                    >
                    >robt

                    Whoops! (Why I always got B-'s on my Spanish homework-- "as", "os",
                    what's the diff??)

                    --

                    Jason Witherspoon
                    ICQ #62837760

                    ---------
                    ----O----
                    --- ---
                    --- ---
                    ----O----
                    ---------
                  • Jan Miloszewski
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 3, 2001
                      Perry's prolific output as artist and producer over a 35 year period is very
                      patchy indeed - but his best stuff certainly justifies the hype and his
                      influence on other artists is incalculable. he was at his peak in the mid to
                      late 70's though there's plenty of good records before then, but I'd be very
                      wary of anything from the 80's onwards. "Arkology" has some great tracks on
                      it but suffers from containing too much filler material. if you want to hear
                      some more - out of the millions of albums available you could do a lot worse
                      than these....

                      Super ape
                      (classic mainly instrumental/dub album from the mid 70's)
                      Return of the super ape
                      (excellent album from 1978, also reissued as "The original super ape" with
                      extra tracks)
                      The Congos - Heart of the Congos
                      (his best album as a producer, superbly reissued/repackaged by Blood & Fire)
                      Revolution dub
                      (there's a huge number of mostly very average Lee Perry dub albums on the
                      market but this is a good one and is available at budget price on various
                      labels)
                      Voodooism
                      (good compilation album on Pressure Sounds)

                      rgs

                      jklm
                      co sie polepszy to sie popiepszy

                      > Funny you mention Mr. Perry today, feeling cheerful and Springy today, I
                      > drove in to town to the sounds of "Super Ape".
                      >
                      > The Arkology comp. is a great 'un...
                      >
                      > the only problem I have with it is that the "versions" often immediately
                      > follow the actual songs, and not always being in the mood to hear three
                      > consecutive arrangements of the same track in a row--I often use the
                      random
                      > play.
                      >
                      > But for overall content, recording quality, and packaging--it's a gem.
                      >
                      > Gary
                      >

                      > >From: "Coral Rumsey" <coral@...>
                      > >To: <thewire@yahoogroups.com>
                      > >Subject: [thewire] Lee Perry - a Jamaican Holger Czukay?
                      > >Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 20:48:29 +0100
                      > >
                      > >As someone looking to find out more about Scratch (knowing him primarily
                      by
                      > >reputation) can anyone tell me if the 'Arkology' triple-discer
                      compilation
                      > >is a good 'un?
                      > >
                      > >ta
                      > >
                      > >Simon Fay
                    • R. Lim
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 4, 2001
                        On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jess Harvell wrote:

                        > Scratch can be exceedingly spotty, even at his Black Ark peak, and has left

                        Agreed, though his more song-focused production work stands up pretty well
                        from a consistency perspective. E.g. the 70s Upsetters singles (several
                        2CD volumes in a handsomely bound book package) and earlier rude boy
                        material (compiled on various CDs, my favorite of which is Chicken Scratch
                        on Heartbeat- actually the Wailers but released under Perry's name). It's
                        not 100% dub, but it is 100% great- I never really understood how someone
                        could listen only to dub and neglect all of the other fine offerings from
                        Jamaica.

                        Dubwise, I'll second the recommendation for Voodoism and also put in my
                        vote for Blackboard Jungle Dub, whose title track (version 1) is one of
                        the finest examples of dub murk around. A friend once remarked that she
                        likes that album because it doesn't really sound like anything else she's
                        ever heard and I agree. It's been reissued as part of the 2fer CD Scratch
                        Attack, on Ras.

                        -rob
                      • jamello@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 4, 2001

                          <<
                          P.S. To have said something useful in this post: could anyone comment on
                          releases by the label Bad Vugum? Are any essential listening? I've heard
                          some good things about Circle, but nothing else. Looks enigmatic.

                          There are at least a half dozen wonderful Circle CDs, check the online
                          catalog at Aquarius Records for details. Haven't heard anything else on the
                          label, I believe they release stuff long ago (probably out of print) from
                          pre-Sahko Jimi Tenor's early band.
                        • R. Lim
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 4, 2001
                            On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 jamello@... wrote:

                            > catalog at Aquarius Records for details. Haven't heard anything else on the
                            > label, I believe they release stuff long ago (probably out of print) from
                            > pre-Sahko Jimi Tenor's early band.

                            Oh yeah- the album is out of print (recorded under the name Jimi Tenor and
                            His Shamans), but there's a couple of exclusive tracks on the in-print
                            compilation "Surprising Encounters." I haven't heard any of it, but I
                            just wanted to mention that the Dr. Gunni 7" with Doktor Motterfokker (or
                            whatever) is pretty sweet- it's also on a 7" on the pre-606 Vinyl
                            Communications which was a "sampler" of the two Bad Vugum singles.

                            -rob

                            ps- Heart of the Congos is an amazing album
                          • Kristopher S. Handley
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 5, 2001
                              >From: "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@...>
                              >E.g. the 70s Upsetters singles (several
                              >2CD volumes in a handsomely bound book package)

                              I'm having a bit of trouble finding this; what's it called, how available is
                              it, what label, etc.?

                              Thanks,

                              ---s
                            • Jess Harvell
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 5, 2001
                                >I never really understood how someone
                                >could listen only to dub and neglect all of the other fine offerings from
                                >Jamaica.

                                Agreed, of course, so let's get into the one area which no self-conscious
                                Wire hipster seems to talk about...modern Jamaican dancehall... I've really
                                gotten into this stuff over the last couple of years...mostly through
                                compilations like Greensleeves "Best Ragga Dancehall Of [Insert Year
                                Here]"... Aside from the obligatory gat popping and ho slappin, I'm amazed
                                at how completely funked up the rhythms are... Beenie Man's "Moses Cry" is
                                like '91 Belg-core techno slowed down to 1/3 the speed... There's an
                                Elephant Man track that's basically hard acid...wouldn't sound completely
                                out of place in a Richie Hawtin set... Even at their worst, the rest have a
                                similar skittery, fitful energy as the best Swiz Beats or Timbaland track...
                                Am I alone here in my facinated flirtation with this stuff??

                                -Sprout
                              • Ryan Whitehead
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 5, 2001
                                  >Am I alone here in my facinated flirtation with this stuff??

                                  not at all. beyond roots and dub most people have no concept of the depth of
                                  jamaican music . . . even the fact that all jamaican music is referred to as
                                  "reggae" when, one could argue, the true "reggae" period was built up
                                  to--from mento, to ska, to rocksteady, through the rebel period, to early
                                  reggae, and true reggae--and then moved beyond--through dub, deejays,
                                  dancehall, ragga, conscious ragga, etc.

                                  a continuation of this can be seen in the fact that those viewed as the
                                  paragons of jamaican music in the world at large--bob marley and lee
                                  perry--were actually unique figures standing, in many ways, outside of
                                  jamaican musics more dominant threads of sound systems, dancehalls,
                                  prominent producers, etc. this is particularly true of Marley . . . But
                                  that's a result of what i call the marlification of reggae (i've probably
                                  exposed this theory on list before)--"everyone" thinks Marley is synonymous
                                  with reggae, they hear reggae and ask if it's marley even if it sounds
                                  nothing like marley.

                                  with that brief rant out of the way, i'd like to point to a couple of
                                  producers around the legendary time of Perry that are equally worthy of
                                  investigation: Niney the Observer and Keith Hudson. Niney's Blood and Fire
                                  collection is unstopable, as are Keith Hudson's Pick A Dub and Studio Kinda
                                  Cloudy. I hear his Flesh of My Flesh is a frightful murk--in a good
                                  way--but i've yet to find a copy. A couple song oriented lee perry
                                  production to augment the recommendation of the Congoes--a pause for the
                                  congoes to stress that this is one of the greatest pieces of jamaican music
                                  ever recorded, particularly the two disc reissue of Blood and Fire--are the
                                  Junior Byles collections Curly Locks and Beat Down Babylon, and the Max
                                  Romeo discs Open the Iron Gate and War Inna Babylon.

                                  But this started on the ragga front. In a perverse way, the interest to
                                  wire-ites makes sense: check the Ambush records releases (particularly the
                                  comp Mash Up The Place, a reference to the dancehalls), anything by DJ Scud
                                  (the 7" on Machinebau, "total desctruction"), and the fantastic 7"s on Scuds
                                  Jah Vengeance label (Bloodclaat Gangsta Youth's--aka Dj Scud--"Kill Or Be
                                  Killed" and Jah Vengeance's--aka I-Sound--"No Light"). All fuse noizecore
                                  with wicked ragga sounds. Pull out the recommendations for wicked ragga . .
                                  . I don't think I'm the only one that's interested.

                                • Jason Witherspoon
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 5, 2001
                                    At 4:17 PM -0700 4/5/01, Ryan Whitehead wrote:
                                    >Niney's Blood and Fire
                                    >collection is unstopable, as are Keith Hudson's Pick A Dub and Studio Kinda
                                    >Cloudy.

                                    What's the Niney Blood & Fire collection called? I can't find any
                                    info on their seemingly-otherwise-up-to-date website--

                                    Completely agreed on the _Pick a Dub_-- great great album. I've also
                                    been very heavily into the Chantells & Friends _Children of Jah_ B&F
                                    comp; it's basically a comp of Roy Francis' tiny but excellent Phase
                                    One label from '77-'79. The best stuff on here reminds me much of
                                    the Congos, & there's a smattering of neato moogy action which makes
                                    it all the more excellent, though the meat of the matter is the
                                    wonderful songs.

                                    --

                                    Jason Witherspoon
                                    ICQ #62837760

                                    ---------
                                    ----O----
                                    --- ---
                                    --- ---
                                    ----O----
                                    ---------
                                  • Ryan Whitehead
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 5, 2001
                                      Oops--

                                      couple errors. I too misspelled "Congos" . . . and Dj Scud's label is Full
                                      Watts, not Jah Vengeance. As I said, Jah Vengeance is a nome-de-stylus of
                                      I-Sound . . . Just the lunacy of a late night at work.

                                      The Niney album is actually titled "Blood And Fire: Niney and Friends". It's
                                      on Trojan. Sorry for the misleading comment . . . There's just so damned
                                      much blood and fire and jah swirling around when one speaks of jamaican
                                      sounds that it's hard to keep it all straight.

                                      ryan

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 6, 2001
                                        < not at all. beyond roots and dub most people have no concept of the depth of jamaican music . . . even the fact that all jamaican music is referred to as
                                        "reggae" when, one could argue, the true "reggae" period was built up to--from mento, to ska, to rocksteady, through the rebel period, to early
                                        reggae, and true reggae--and then moved beyond--through dub, deejays, dancehall, ragga, conscious ragga, etc. >

                                        Exactly the point I was going to make. I have the kind folks at Soul Jazz for opening my eyes, the four "Dynamite" comps have literally no dub tracks and clued me in to some wonderful examples of various "reggae" styles. Hell, I even went out and bought a Prince Buster compilation recently!

                                        RE: dancehall, Simon Reynolds' web page has a "faves of 2000" article with an entire section devoted to the genre. He too points out how the riddims are wack, merging elements of techno and hiphop (The Elephant Man CD even concludes with a take on a DMX track.)

                                        Of course, you still have to get over the playa/gangsta lyrics on some tracks, but overall a fun spin.
                                      • JacobM
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 6, 2001
                                          when the subject turns to ragga it always seems to end with someone
                                          mentioning Dj scud/ambush

                                          i'd love to hear of any genuine ragga records that feature harder than hard
                                          sounds..
                                          bashment records, bass saturated Dj mix tapes, etc..
                                          one to look out for..
                                          elephant man- cd killa-- voice processing cd skipping effects..

                                          any other sugestions?

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 6, 2001
                                            On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Kristopher S. Handley wrote:

                                            > >From: "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@...>
                                            > >E.g. the 70s Upsetters singles (several
                                            > >2CD volumes in a handsomely bound book package)
                                            >
                                            > I'm having a bit of trouble finding this; what's it called, how available is
                                            > it, what label, etc.?

                                            The Complete Upsetter Singles Collection, vols 1-3 (a fourth is due next
                                            month- I haven't had a chance to hear the third one yet). They're on
                                            Trojan, so they should run you about $30/each.

                                            -rob
                                          • Ryan Whitehead
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 6, 2001
                                              Oh, correction: this has not ended up with someone mentioning DJ Scud, but
                                              begun with someone mentioning DJ Scud. I'm not sure if this is saying
                                              "everyone knows this stuff . . . don't mention it" or "it's crap . . . don't
                                              mention it" or just "hey, look, you mentioned it". Anyway, I think that the
                                              releases I mentioned are excellent and there aren't many other people
                                              currently integrating ragga into adventurous music--please correct me if i'm
                                              wrong. Sure, in the days of old, jungle and the bristol stuff took up
                                              dancehall/ragga and ran it well into their chosen genre's burst seams. But
                                              today it's mostly 2 Step Garage which, though a guilty pleasure of mine, is
                                              VERY conservative--morally, philosophically, musically, etc.

                                              When diving into "true" ragga, I often feel like i've just missed that
                                              energy that overwhelms the best Ambush/full watts/noizecore ragga tracks.
                                              some older stuff that's not as fried as we're looking for, but excellent
                                              nonetheless: Bounty Killer's "My Xperience", Ninja Man's "Bounty Hunter",
                                              the "Hardcore Ragga" compilation, and maybe the "Ragga Essentials: In A
                                              Dancehall Style" compilation. Though uniformly excellent, most of these are
                                              less packed with insanity than I want. I have the impression that the truly
                                              wild stuff is hidden throughout the mass production of tracks, the broken
                                              down wax factories of jamaican ghettos--am I off the mark here?

                                              Though someone already mentioned it, Simon Reynold's site does point to many
                                              promising sounding compilations. I've got the "Dancehall 101" compilations
                                              on VP, packed with good tracks and the occassional cage rattling rhythm, and
                                              several of the "Strictly The Best" compilations, which follow the same
                                              unpredictable good/great pattern. I used to be turned off by these
                                              compilations because the covers are so incredibly tacky . . . don't let that
                                              discourage. The Rough Guide to reggae also has chapters on Ragga and
                                              Dancehall that pull out the historical inflection points.

                                              rw out*

                                              >when the subject turns to ragga it always seems to end with someone
                                              >mentioning Dj scud/ambush
                                              >
                                              >i'd love to hear of any genuine ragga records that feature harder than hard
                                              >sounds..
                                              > bashment records, bass saturated Dj mix tapes, etc..
                                              >one to look out for..
                                              >elephant man- cd killa-- voice processing cd skipping effects..
                                              >
                                              >any other sugestions?

                                            • Jess Harvell
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Apr 7, 2001
                                                >I have the impression that the truly
                                                >wild stuff is hidden throughout the mass production of tracks, the broken
                                                >down wax factories of jamaican ghettos--am I off the mark here?

                                                No, I think you're bang on...that was kinda what I was trying to say when I
                                                started (this end) of the thread...(I guess in the vain hopes that there
                                                would be someone here that was inordinantly expertised in the genre)...I
                                                think to find the truly out there one offs you have to be "living the life,"
                                                i.e. scouring dingy record stores wallpapered with little 7" singles...it's
                                                like any subculture, throw a newbie into the mix and he's not gonna be able
                                                to distinguish DJ Hype from Aquasky, Napalm Death from Stryper...except by
                                                listening, exploring, yadda, yadda...also, I think we're missing a lot of
                                                the impact of these songs listening to them on the frictionless digital
                                                surface of a CD...namely: the bass intensive club sound system, the crowd,
                                                the drugs, the mix (such as it is...there ain't a lot of seamless/banal
                                                Oakentroll trance mixing goin on in the dancehall), basically the vibe...

                                                >I used to be turned off by these
                                                >compilations because the covers are so incredibly tacky . . . don't let
                                                >that
                                                >discourage.

                                                I use to feel the same way...but a decade of house & jungle comps (is it de
                                                rigeur for these things to have uniformly awful covers?) and hardcore rap
                                                (alla those post-No Limit glittering, fisheyed letters..) - not to mention
                                                all the metal I listen to as a teen - cured me of that...sometimes you just
                                                gotta swallow your taste and your pride...;)

                                                -Sprout

                                              • trommer
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Apr 7, 2001
                                                  a side note...
                                                  ...jamaica isn't the only source for dancehall, ragga, etc....
                                                  toronto has the largest concentration of jamaicans outside of kingston,
                                                  and has always quite a thriving scene with many small labels, vinyl
                                                  cutters, a shit-load of little mom & pop hole-in-the-wall record stores
                                                  (on eglinton ave: the black uhuru song 'youth of eglinton' is about the
                                                  neighbourhood and michael rose has since relocated there)
                                                  when d&b was in its infancy (when it was still popularily known as
                                                  'jungle') there was alot of wicked hard raw ragga-jungle coming out of
                                                  that scene...the whole dancehall scene is still very active here as
                                                  well...

                                                  worth checking out.
                                                • ZURAW,BRYAN LAWRENCE
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Apr 7, 2001
                                                    > surface of a CD...namely: the bass intensive club sound system, the crowd,
                                                    > the drugs, the mix (such as it is...there ain't a lot of seamless/banal
                                                    > Oakentroll trance mixing goin on in the dancehall), basically the vibe...

                                                    i think yr right about this and it goes even further. it's been a long
                                                    time since i went to dances (in montreal, and not all that much) but
                                                    it was an ear-opening experience. the records are like dj tools - they're
                                                    mixed with a live DJ (ie MC) and soemtimes a live singer too and cut in
                                                    with lots of dubplates etc... i've never heard any dj scud/ambush stuff yr
                                                    discussing, but the dancehall performance of a good sound seems
                                                    to approach that density. if you can find good reggae radio shows -
                                                    you also get a taste of this experience. i find this is the case with
                                                    club oriented scenes generally - the records as is only give part of
                                                    the flavour of the aural experience in the club, even discounting the
                                                    lights, dancers and drugs and the pa.

                                                    bryan

                                                    ps. i live in la, and if anyone knows of such a radio show out here,
                                                    please inform.
                                                  • Jason Witherspoon
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Apr 7, 2001
                                                      At 11:06 AM -0700 4/6/01, Ryan Whitehead wrote:
                                                      >But
                                                      >today it's mostly 2 Step Garage which, though a guilty pleasure of mine, is
                                                      >VERY conservative--morally, philosophically, musically, etc.

                                                      I dunno-- a comp like _Family Planning_ really points to an outer
                                                      edge for the whole 2 Step vibe-- or is that comp more "shiki shiki"?

                                                      --

                                                      Jason Witherspoon
                                                      ICQ #62837760

                                                      ---------
                                                      ----O----
                                                      --- ---
                                                      --- ---
                                                      ----O----
                                                      ---------
                                                    • Jess Harvell
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Apr 7, 2001
                                                        >i find this is the case with
                                                        >club oriented scenes generally - the records as is only give part of
                                                        >the flavour of the aural experience in the club, even discounting the
                                                        >lights, dancers and drugs and the pa.

                                                        Yeah...which is why most of these musics have yet to dent the American pop
                                                        scene...rock crits are too blindered by devotion to the album format,
                                                        deriving "meaning" from music in the standard, approved, literary way...and
                                                        many tracks which can sound amazing "en mix" sound pitiable heard in
                                                        isolation...so much of my favorite jungle (of the jump-up/hardstep variety)
                                                        sounds thin and smallish as tracks...a sing songy bassline and a million
                                                        Amen variations...dancehall even goes one step further...all those hundreds
                                                        of tracks with a simple variation on the same riddim, like
                                                        "doorslam"...dancehall radio shows in the US, at least the ones I've heard
                                                        on NYC's Hot 97 and Philly's Power 99, tend to sound more like a pirate or a
                                                        live mix: rowdy, party in studio vibe, if not "mixing" per se...certainly
                                                        more energy than yer average MOR station...I think all music...the further
                                                        it moves away from its "intended" (the club, the concert hall, the tightly
                                                        focused pair of headphones) loses something, either in sound or vibe or
                                                        both...and home listening of any sort is usually an approximation...

                                                        -sprout

                                                      • Ed Lynch-Bell
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Apr 9, 2001
                                                          Speaking of Lee Perry. Has anyone written a good bio on him?

                                                          Ed
                                                          --
                                                          Ed Lynch-Bell
                                                          mailto:dali@...