independence

  • jeff_colley@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
      do people here think that independence is necessarily a better way to
      produce music than through major labels? aside from the economic
      constraints, etc.

      jeff
    • W.J.Gibson
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2001
        Independence is largely a relational thing these days (i.e. often
        pitting itself in opposition to the majors) and tends to opt for what
        it believes are values that are dependent upon being different from
        what are perceived as mainstream ones.

        I guess it depends upon the artists in question as to whether or not
        independence is necessarily a good thing. If someone aims to shift
        as many units as possible as an end in itself (Mariah Carey etc.)
        then being on a major, with all the conventional distribution
        capacity it brings, can only be good for them.

        Yes, I suppose all acts aspire to sell at least a few records, but I
        think independent labels are good for those who aspire to other goals
        alongside that - e.g. in the case of Ultra-Red, providing a critique
        of certain social practices through location recordings. Or maybe
        that's just my naive idealism coming to the fore...

        JOHN