House me.

  • Steven Taylor
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 26, 2001
      Im living with a pair of Technics for the first time in years. Which has
      re-kindled my love of Detroit techno and Chicago House...
      Can anyome reccomend any recent stuff in the vein of Moodyman, Glenn
      Underground etc That kind of slightly odd seasick house which is very funky,
      built from samples rather than synths... kind of in the style of older Carl
      Craig efforts also, BFC, Urban Culture, piece etc. Before he went all
      'Fusion'.

      Ta

      Steve
    • Tomas Bodén
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 28, 2001
        theo parrish - obvious
        markus nikolai - great album "back" on perlon
        thomas brinkmann - anything with a womans name on it, the soul center stuff
        is essential, and the latest 12 "roses" is excellent old school chicago
        stuff...

        /tomas

        >Im living with a pair of Technics for the first time in years. Which has
        >re-kindled my love of Detroit techno and Chicago House...
        >Can anyome reccomend any recent stuff in the vein of Moodyman, Glenn
        >Underground etc That kind of slightly odd seasick house which is very funky,
        >built from samples rather than synths... kind of in the style of older Carl
        >Craig efforts also, BFC, Urban Culture, piece etc. Before he went all
        >'Fusion'.
        >
        >Ta
        >
        >Steve

        ______
        ______dinge machen, von denen wir nicht wissen, was sie sind.
        ______theodor adorno
        ______
        ______
        ______tomas bodén
        ______department of aesthetics
        ______uppsala university
        ______
        ______sturegatan 11
        ______uppsala 75314
        ______sweden
        ______+46184717211
        ______
      • Keith McColl
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 29, 2001
          markus nikolai is fuckin ace as is isolee album on playhouse+ some other
          artist album on playhouse cant remember name but has 2 cyclists on cover -
          also excellent german bmg dodgy bootleg looking comp callled eskimo - old
          early acid shit mixed with +60s spacey shit+70s funky bizniz-its a goodie

          ***sleep tricled down around me,and the happy tune dissolved away into my
          dreams ***
          Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
          company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
          attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
          recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
          inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
          e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

        • Tomas Bodén
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 29, 2001
            could it maybe be the album by losoul that has 2 cyclists on cover. in that
            case I agree on its excellence. playhouse has also released some great 12"s
            by bodo elsel, "discount baby" is one of my absolute favourites - as if
            mouse on mars landed on the planet of boo williams and derrick carter...

            /tomas

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 29, 2001
              thats the bugger

              ***sleep trickled down around me,and the happy tune dissolved away into my
              dreams ***
              Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
              company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
              attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
              recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
              inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
              e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

            • Steven Taylor
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 29, 2001
                Cheers guys, looks like im going shopping :)

                could it maybe be the album by losoul that has 2 cyclists on cover. in that
                case I agree on its excellence. playhouse has also released some great 12"s
                by bodo elsel, "discount baby" is one of my absolute favourites - as if
                mouse on mars landed on the planet of boo williams and derrick carter...

                /tomas

                >markus nikolai is fuckin ace as is isolee album on playhouse+ some other
                >artist album on playhouse cant remember name but has 2 cyclists on cover -
                >also excellent german bmg dodgy bootleg looking comp callled eskimo - old
                >early acid shit mixed with +60s spacey shit+70s funky bizniz-its a goodie

                ______
                ______dinge machen, von denen wir nicht wissen, was sie sind.
                ______theodor adorno
                ______
                ______
                ______tomas bodén
                ______department of aesthetics
                ______uppsala university
                ______
                ______sturegatan 11
                ______uppsala 75314
                ______sweden
                ______+46184717211
                ______

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=170602.1361328.2950093.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700023975:N/
                A=551014/?http://www.debticated.com> www.debticated.com

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=170602.1361328.2950093.2/D=egroupmail/S=17
                00023975:N/A=551014/rand=249201617>

                <http://www.msu.edu/user/forddavi/wirelist.html>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Pablo Bernet
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 29, 2001
                  Other greats house moments :
                  - Herbert and Dani Siciliano "Around the House"
                  - Kevin Yost "One Sterry Night"
                  - Circulation "Colours"

                  P.B.

                • Ryan Whitehead
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 29, 2001
                    I agree with the recommendation of Herbert's "Around the House"--a little
                    expensive but indispensible. his recent mix "let's all make mistakes" (i
                    believe that's the title) is excellent too . . . and, though the title may
                    lead you to believe it partakes of glitch trends, it's one of the most solid
                    mixes around. i believe it's only available on CD, though the original
                    Herbert tracks are available on a 12". Though we've touched one of the
                    over-productive stalwarts (Brinkmann--no one seems to notice that he's
                    giving merzbow and laswell a run for your money. I back up the person who
                    picked his Soul Center 2 release as a good one.), no one's mentioned
                    Christian Vogel, another very productive, very consistent producer of fine
                    sounds. Probably because he transects so many subtle shifts of genre. All
                    his releases are worth checking out, but SuperCollider's "Head On" is my
                    favorite. As with Brinkman's Soul Center and Moodyman's work, the soulful
                    and funky side of house is taken on. In SuperCollider Vogel works with
                    Jamie Lidell (sp?), who has a penchant for Prince and that whole
                    post-electro/post-disco incorporation of flatulent bass into soaring pop
                    scene. Couldn't be better. Just grabbed a 4 track vinyl promo of Swayzak's
                    Himawari from the bargain bin and that's knocking me down and keeping me
                    there. I'll have to pick up the album before I can give the whole a huge
                    recommendation, but i'd have gladly paid 15 times the $.99 I paid just for
                    those four tracks. It's housey, dashes of soulfulness and funkiness, but
                    also a flavor of the the less gleaming side of two-step--some ragga vocals,
                    etc. if you're down with Moodyman, I can't imagine this not satisfying.
                    Anything else on the Medicine label this satisfying?

                    for classics of the genre, Warp's 10+1 Influences is a nice vinyl
                    4-pack--check the tracklisting and you'll either experience flashbacks or
                    recognize so many tracks that you've heard referred to as seminal that
                    anything more i can say about it is inconsequential.

                    and, finally, being in Chicago, i've gotta plug Green Velvet. I just
                    grabbed a cut out of the F-111 compilation and i'm flashing back to 95 and
                    all the badd little kids doing badd little things. harder, straighter beats
                    than the stuff mentioned above, vocals laced with sharp
                    humor/self-awareness. taking on the machine/man connection of electro and
                    stripping out elements of funk, leaving a point or two close two prince, the
                    tracks are, in a way, essays and allegories containing criticism of the
                    indulgence that the scene is/was built on--"abduction", for example, being
                    sort of a platonic-cave for the ecstasy generation. if you got it the first
                    time around, this disk is a nice way to condense it for ease of use and to
                    remind you of the old pleasure lurking in your unused 12"s. if you missed
                    it, step up. If you need the vinyl, the constant chaos triple pack will do
                    you right--you'll get more of the recent stuff but you'll miss out on the
                    classics "Flash" and "Answering Machine".

                    rw out*

                  • stephen drage
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 29, 2001
                      Glenn Underground's Atmosfear, whats the verdict?

                      stephen d

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 30, 2001
                        aint heard it but his beats from years ago were always a bit gay for me too
                        any noodly saxes - though check his wonderful hypnotic stomper 'beyond' on
                        relief from about 95 ish - a fuckin beauty

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 30, 2001
                          has anyone heard anything from the forthcoming Herbert album? after that
                          absolutely superb live 12" he released last year with phil parnell on
                          piano, expectations are surely high on new material...

                          /tomas

                          ______
                        • jamello@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 30, 2001
                            I liked that Glenn Underground's "Atmosfear" at the time, although I haven't listened to it in a long time. As previously mentioned, Herbert's "Around the House" has to be one of the single best complete House albums (IMHO), an excellent home listening experience. I do quite like the Ananda Project CD from last year as well, smooth and perhaps a bit more polished than the Chicago/Cajual axis.

                            Speaking of which, once in a while I really get nostalgic for the Relief years. Each week brought a new batch a jackin' 12" trax by a host of oddball characters that were simulatiously built for the dancefloor and as weird/minimal/repetitive as a lot of "intellectual" stuff from Berlin, etc. That label had a real personality/identity, as well as a sense of humor.

                            Is there anything along those lines coming out today?

                            -- Jack
                          • Steven Taylor
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 30, 2001
                              Speaking of which, once in a while I really get nostalgic for the Relief
                              years. Each week brought a new batch a jackin' 12" trax by a host of
                              oddball characters that were simulatiously built for the dancefloor and as
                              weird/minimal/repetitive as a lot of "intellectual" stuff from Berlin, etc.
                              That label had a real personality/identity, as well as a sense of humor.

                              Is there anything along those lines coming out today?

                              Would like to think so!
                              Ive been trying to get hold of a copy of a Dancemania 12" called "DJ Milton
                              aint dead" for years now, cant remember who it is by..

                            • R. Lim
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 2, 2001
                                On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Ryan Whitehead wrote:

                                > Herbert tracks are available on a 12". Though we've touched one of the
                                > over-productive stalwarts (Brinkmann--no one seems to notice that he's
                                > giving merzbow and laswell a run for your money. I back up the person who

                                Over-productive in what sense? Almost all of his releases are worth
                                hearing, if not downright great.

                                I, too, have fallen under the spell of Super_Collider's _Head On_, though
                                I would never think to refer to it as a house record.

                                -rob
                              • Steven Taylor
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 2, 2001
                                  I, too, have fallen under the spell of Super_Collider's _Head On_, though
                                  I would never think to refer to it as a house record.

                                  Its a work of art... Still not bored of it 2 years later. Some of it is
                                  Housey.
                                  I'll take this oppurtunity to plug the Solo Jamie Lidell album on
                                  Spymania/Warp also...

                                  http://www.spymania.com/catalogue/spy013.html
                                  <http://www.spymania.com/catalogue/spy013.html>

                                  theres a track on there if you want to check it out..
                                  Warp seemed to do their best to not mention Spymania when promoting this
                                  record for some reason. I guess they are pissed that they didnt get
                                  Squarepusher and Jamie Liddell first... They have to buy into the
                                  underground these days ;-)

                                  Steve

                                • Tomas Bodén
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 3, 2001
                                    and that deep, deep derrick carter remix of darn (cold way of lovin) can
                                    also easily become an addiction...

                                    /tomas

                                    ______