Re: [thewire] Franco Battiato

  • R. Lim
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 2001
      On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Helena Velena wrote:

      > CLIC
      > is a total masterpiece in my opinion.

      I just picked this up over the past weekend and, while I shirk from the
      term masterpiece, I must admit it's a pretty nice artifact in the vein of
      Faust Tapes, the Red Noise reissue or some of the more Pierre Henryesque
      discs on the rather uneven Wakhevitch box (there- two birds with one
      stone!). Which is to say that you get the same pleasing melange of tape
      gabble & choral nonsequiters, all draped convincingly over an art-rock
      frame but still possessed of the kind of grandiosity only possible from a
      composer who fancies himself an academic.

      -rob
    • Helena Velena
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 12, 2001
        >On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Helena Velena wrote:
        >
        >> CLIC
        >> is a total masterpiece in my opinion.
        >
        >I just picked this up over the past weekend and, while I shirk from the
        >term masterpiece, I must admit it's a pretty nice artifact in the vein of
        >Faust Tapes, the Red Noise reissue or some of the more Pierre Henryesque
        >discs on the rather uneven Wakhevitch box (there- two birds with one
        >stone!). Which is to say that you get the same pleasing melange of tape
        >gabble & choral nonsequiters, all draped convincingly over an art-rock
        >frame but still possessed of the kind of grandiosity only possible from a
        >composer who fancies himself an academic.

        Well, actually i've re listened it after several years and i must admit i
        have to re-size my judgment....
        Actually me too i think that considering it a masterpiece is a little bit
        exagerated...
        but the point it that i did get the record when i was a teenager, and it
        was one of the firts truly "experimental" and innovative records that i've
        listened (at the time, the most far out music for me was Pink Floyd and not
        much else more...).
        Upon re-listening it now, well, it soulds a little, ehm, NAIVE.....
        Expecially the collage of ethika phonetika....
        But i really used to love it, and i really enoyed re listening it, even if
        now the effect cosiderably deflated on me...
        Still a great record.
        Instead POLLUTION, that i'm listening now, more "art-pop" and slighly less
        fre form, has some very memorable moments and some fantastic one line
        lyrics very powerful and de-meningful....
        Absolutely not to be missed, if you're into this kind of freak out
        avantgarde art-rock!!!!
        And, still Clic too...
        ehm....

        Helena