Re:IGOR WAHKEVITCH

  • mark jung
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2001
      pretty much a heavy prog set, with wooshy synths, choral & operatic vocal
      pieces, "dramatic" spoken texts (a conversational familiarity with french
      would be very helpful), ambient recordings, demonic voices, recorded &
      processed sounds, studio trickery, etc. etc. they struck me as an amalgam of
      everything that happened in progressive rock & e-music in the '70s. last
      time i played through it, i found the whole carried more heft better than
      the individual parts - much it doesn't all hold up real well, a lot sounds
      almost embarrassingly dated.
      having seen these albums on want lists for years and only rarely coming
      across copies of his LPs for sale (at BIG prices) i got the box when it came
      out, and it didn't strike me as well as something so huge and sought-after
      should have. also, the 6 disks could easily have been put onto three - most
      the LPs are in the 30-40 minute range, so i wasn't enamored with the
      presentation they chose.
      the box IS pretty, tho -

      mark

      > From: "Ryan Whitehead" <ryan_whitehead@...>

      >curious if anyone has information on/reviews-or-views of the 6 disc igor
      >wahkevitch box that was issued not too long ago. i've read a few laudatory
      >(but brief) comments. I'm intrigued but it's a lot of dough to lay out for
      >the work of someone you've never heard and only heard of through a samizdat
      >web-network of suspect reliability.
      >
      >Forgotten genius or, uh, just forgotten?
    • Guillaume Grenier
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2001
        On 02/03/01 09:41, Ryan Whitehead said in living color:

        > curious if anyone has information on/reviews-or-views of the 6 disc igor
        > wahkevitch box that was issued not too long ago. i've read a few laudatory
        > (but brief) comments. I'm intrigued but it's a lot of dough to lay out for
        > the work of someone you've never heard and only heard of through a samizdat
        > web-network of suspect reliability.
        >
        > Forgotten genius or, uh, just forgotten?

        It contains interesting music... especially the first 3 CDs. Logos, the
        first one, would be my favorite, I think.

        The last two CDs are not really my cup of tea. IIRC, they are mostly
        constituted of solo synth pieces, which are often a bit cheesy. The first
        CDs have a more varied instrumentation and much more compelling atmospheres.

        So, for me, it's not the holy grail some people have described but it's
        still a worthwhile package.

        Now, my turn for Wakhevitch questions: has anybody heard (the outrageously
        expensive) "Etre Dieu" (which seems to be an opera he did with a libretto by
        Dali)? What does it sound like? When was it composed? How does it compare
        with the material in the Wakhevitch box?

        --
        Guillaume Grenier - gollum@...

        in space there is no north in space there is no south
        in space there is no east in space there is no west