Re[2]: [thewire] Sound on Film Live

  • simonsmith@readingchronicle.co.uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2001
      These, presumably, are the films that will be on BBC TV next week - the Nicolas Roeg one is on BBC2, 11.20pm, Tue 13. Absentia sounds the most interesting though.

      The whole thing doesn't appear to have had much publicity ... no trendy little trailers on BBC2. You'd have thought if the Beeb are going to come up with something so original they might like to shout about it a bit more.

      Check the 'sound art' thing on the BBC's website at the moment - at bbc.co.uk/arts - there's a load of stuff including Jah Wobble, Coldcut and Asian Dub Foundation, plus a 'Sonica soundkit' to get creative on

      Subject: RE: [thewire] Sound on Film Live
      Author: stevent@... at INTERNET
      Date: 02/03/2001 11:27

      Would have gone if I hadnt have found out the Matmos/People like us gig was cancelled until it was too late!.. doh... bad night all round..

      This is what I missed last night at the Barbican (London). Did anyone go? I'm really mad I missed it. Grr.

      "Only Connect The first ever live performance of four short films featuring collaborations between pioneering and acclaimed film directors and composers: The New Math(s) directed by Hal Hartley is screened with Andriessen's score performed by Dutch new music ensemble Electra. For Pilgrimage, Sir John Tavener sets music to the images of the infamous Werner Herzog performed by Parvin Cox, BBC Symphony Orchestra, and Westminster Cathedral Choir
      conducted by Paul Goodwin. In Absentia Karlheinz Stockhausen's experimental sounds are

      played back to the obsessively detailed work of the enigmatic The Brothers Quay. For Nicolas Roeg's The Sound, Adrian Utley of Portishead has created a

      new score featuring a range of special guests. Sound on Film was
      commissioned by BBC TV and pipeline films (executive producer Rodney Wilson)."

      Jawed

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=168002.1291681.2888959.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700023975:N/
      A=564957/*http://www.columbiahouse.com/gateway?token=7416> Choose 3 DVDs for $0.49 each!