Re: [thewire] beach boys

  • R. Lim
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
      Gack, beaten to the Beach Boys draw by Jason "Brian's Gone Forever, So
      Wipe Your Runny Nose With Your Hairshirt Sleeve" Witherspoon! I just have
      a couple of comments to add to his (non-reproduced) response.

      On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 kurt.gottschalk@... wrote:

      > the pet sounds 4-disc box is a really interesting listen. all of the
      > elements wilson compiled (vocal harmonies, train sounds, dogs barking,
      > etc.) seperated into original bits. it's better than that makes it
      > sound, but still not probably not worth the ticket price if you've not
      > heard the original.

      Yeah, the breakdown is something like stereo remix, instrumental
      version scattered among 2 CDs of outtakes and vocals only tracks. I
      personally find the separated stereo backing tracks and vocal-only tracks
      to be revelatory, but I have to admit that you'd probably want to know
      what you're getting into first.

      > album in mono and stereo, a bit unnecessary, but...

      Well, the stereo version was first presented in the box. Brian Wilson
      worked exclusively in mono at the time and never envisioned a stereo
      release of the album. So in that sense, the stereo version is a
      concession to modern home listening and the mono version the "director's
      cut".

      > smile was never completed and the tapes destroyed. against wilson's
      > wishes, someone at capitol records (or wherever) tried to reconstruct

      Untrue. There was talk of a Smile sessions box to be released a year
      after the Pet Sounds box. There was probably enough brou haha over the
      PS box to deter the second project (I think Mike Love was pissed off about
      the liner notes or something). One will probably have to wait until the
      guy dies for an officially sanctioned release.

      At any rate, like Jason said, some of the Smile material has been
      trickling out. 20/20 had a couple of tracks (though I could swear some of
      the stuff was rerecorded, Surf's Up maybe), and the full-length Heroes and
      Villains appeared on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey 2fer release bonus
      tracks. The biggest, and to date most significant, release of Smile
      material is the 5CD _Good Vibrations_ box set which has a good chunk of
      the tracks as they were left (most of which were unfinished to some
      degree). I think about 40 minutes total. The set isn't terribly expensive
      by current box set standards and also includes a fairly comprehensive
      overview of their career (for those of you intrigued by the revival of
      interest of the 70s incarnation of the band). It's actually a 4CD comp +
      1 CD of collector-oriented stuff (a la what you might find in one of the
      Beatles anthologies).

      > something. it was released in the early 70s as 'smiley smile' and is
      > great regardless of its troubled past. it's not in print in the u.s.

      Smiley Smile was comprised of material recorded exclusively for it,
      post Smile plug-pull (except Good Vibrations, which was recorded before
      the Smile sessions and Heroes and Villains, which was an edited down
      version of the original). It was a deliberate move back to simplicity, see
      also Wild Honey. "She's Going Bald" (a song not intended for release on
      Smile) is the song that got my underground-oriented ears perked Beach
      Boys-ward.

      > there's also lots of multi-disc smile boots around. i haven't heard those.

      There's basically one 2CD and one 3LP. I believe all Smile boots are some
      sort of permutation of this material (the former, referred to as the
      "Japanese" boot came from tapes made for the band during a period in which
      they were considering issuing the stuff, so they're imaginably close to
      what's languishing around the vaults). Overall I'd say the 2CD is
      superior, though the 3LP does have a mind-bending section of "George Fell
      Into His French Horn" that I haven't heard anywhere else.

      > interesting things for a number of years after its release. a sorta
      > myth has built up that brian's breakdown was immediately after and
      > nothing else released is worthy of consideration. that's not true.

      I agree that this is kind of a weird way of looking at things.
      Conversely, most people dismiss the pre-Pet Sounds era as being nothing
      but hit singles, though albums like _Today_ clearly indicate where Brian
      Wilson was heading.

      The upshot is, if you want a reasonably complete collection of official
      Smile material, get the box and the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey 2fer CD with
      bonus tracks (still in print in England, I think).

      -rob
    • Jason Jay Stevens
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
        On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, R. Lim wrote:
        > degree). I think about 40 minutes total. The set isn't terribly expensive
        > by current box set standards and also includes a fairly comprehensive
        > overview of their career (for those of you intrigued by the revival of
        > interest of the 70s incarnation of the band). It's actually a 4CD comp +
        > 1 CD of collector-oriented stuff (a la what you might find in one of the
        > Beatles anthologies).

        I would check the public library, first. Cause it's like so many of these
        outtake things, like, worth a single listen, but not something you would
        keep in your 6CD player for a couple weeks. And seriously, how many times
        do you need to read the liner notes?
        Public libraries are great for box sets.
        I had the pleasure of listening to all of Ornette Coleman and company's
        Atlantic recordings for eight straight weeks thanks to the library. I
        could never have afforded to buy the set.
        (and now I have a complete copy on cassette tape! virtually for free! I
        can listen to it while I'm driving around in my van!)

        then...I know how you music geeks are about owning owning owning
        crazy fetish seekers that you are
      • Jason Witherspoon
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
          At 10:45 AM -0500 2/3/01, Jason Jay Stevens wrote:
          >(and now I have a complete copy on cassette tape! virtually for free! I
          >can listen to it while I'm driving around in my van!)
          >
          >then...I know how you music geeks are about owning owning owning
          >crazy fetish seekers that you are

          Yeah, some of us "music geeks" fetishists also have really wacky &
          nutty ideas about the artist making some puny profit from their work,
          if possible--
          --

          Jason Witherspoon
          ICQ #62837760

          ---------
          ----O----
          --- ---
          --- ---
          ----O----
          ---------
        • Iris Garrelfs
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
            on 3/2/01 8:25 pm, Jason Witherspoon at arzachel@... wrote:

            > At 10:45 AM -0500 2/3/01, Jason Jay Stevens wrote:
            >> (and now I have a complete copy on cassette tape! virtually for free! I
            >> can listen to it while I'm driving around in my van!)
            >>
            >> then...I know how you music geeks are about owning owning owning
            >> crazy fetish seekers that you are
            >
            > Yeah, some of us "music geeks" fetishists also have really wacky &
            > nutty ideas about the artist making some puny profit from their work,
            > if possible--

            well, why ever would you be having crazy ideas like that! Not happy with
            working at tesco any longer???
          • ninplant@xs4all.nl
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2001
              i have no problem liking those inventive middle period beachboy
              albums even today.

              i guess we don't need to go into the 'fact' that Mike Love maybe one
              of the WORST lead singer/performers of all time, topped only by the
              likes of Michael Bolton et al.

              He is execrable, yes, but what is even worse is their fawning begging
              groveling stance to play for the Reagan Coronation in 1980 - or was
              it 1984. They were avid fund raisers for the Reaganites and have been
              a performing albatross for about the last 15 years. which, of course,
              is not Brian's fault except for the fact that he is incapble of
              taking a bad band and making it interesting again...

              this does not get in the way of me appreciating their best work, however...

              just a small monkey wrench reality check in the BB accolades.

              bart / wreck this mess