Re: [thewire] beach boys

  • Jason Witherspoon
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
      At 10:57 AM 2/2/01 -0500, kurt.gottschalk@... wrote:
      >smile was never completed and the tapes destroyed. against wilson's wishes,
      >someone at capitol records (or wherever) tried to reconstruct it and
      >complete it
      >using whatever sorts of dubs were still around. or something. it was
      >released in
      >the early 70s as 'smiley smile' and is great regardless of its troubled past.
      >it's not in print in the u.s. (where i am). my copy is a dutch import, as i
      >recall. you need it, if only for 'vegetables'.

      Nope, not quite. _Smiley Smile_ was the official Beach Boys album release
      after _Smile_ was shelved, in 1967. The versions of the songs here which
      were originally slated for _Smile_ ("Heroes & Villains", "Vega-Tables",
      "Wind Chimes") were deliberately released in unambitious lo-fi mixes by
      Brian, for reasons probably only he knows.

      "Cabinessence" & "Surf's Up", two of the major songs on _Smile_, eventually
      surfaced in more close-to-intended form on _20/20_ ('69, which also
      includes Chuckles Manson's "Never Learn Not to Love" aka "Cease to Exist",
      plaintively rendered by Dennis) and _Surf's Up_ ('71), which is a freaking
      masterpiece in it's own right w/Carl's transcendant "Feel Flows", & Brian's
      might-as-well-be-_Smile_-outtakes "Til I Die", & "A Day in the Life of a Tree".

      The other albums from the immediate post-_Smile_ era ('67's _Wild Honey_,
      '68's _Friends_, '70's _Sunflower_) all have a lot to recommend them as
      well. While _Pet Sounds_ (esp. the stereo mix) is a consistent
      masterpiece, it'd be pretty easy to extract 2 or 3 albums worth of stuff
      from the above (none of which comes clunker-free) that would be even more
      compelling, imo.
    • R. Lim
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
        Gack, beaten to the Beach Boys draw by Jason "Brian's Gone Forever, So
        Wipe Your Runny Nose With Your Hairshirt Sleeve" Witherspoon! I just have
        a couple of comments to add to his (non-reproduced) response.

        On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 kurt.gottschalk@... wrote:

        > the pet sounds 4-disc box is a really interesting listen. all of the
        > elements wilson compiled (vocal harmonies, train sounds, dogs barking,
        > etc.) seperated into original bits. it's better than that makes it
        > sound, but still not probably not worth the ticket price if you've not
        > heard the original.

        Yeah, the breakdown is something like stereo remix, instrumental
        version scattered among 2 CDs of outtakes and vocals only tracks. I
        personally find the separated stereo backing tracks and vocal-only tracks
        to be revelatory, but I have to admit that you'd probably want to know
        what you're getting into first.

        > album in mono and stereo, a bit unnecessary, but...

        Well, the stereo version was first presented in the box. Brian Wilson
        worked exclusively in mono at the time and never envisioned a stereo
        release of the album. So in that sense, the stereo version is a
        concession to modern home listening and the mono version the "director's
        cut".

        > smile was never completed and the tapes destroyed. against wilson's
        > wishes, someone at capitol records (or wherever) tried to reconstruct

        Untrue. There was talk of a Smile sessions box to be released a year
        after the Pet Sounds box. There was probably enough brou haha over the
        PS box to deter the second project (I think Mike Love was pissed off about
        the liner notes or something). One will probably have to wait until the
        guy dies for an officially sanctioned release.

        At any rate, like Jason said, some of the Smile material has been
        trickling out. 20/20 had a couple of tracks (though I could swear some of
        the stuff was rerecorded, Surf's Up maybe), and the full-length Heroes and
        Villains appeared on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey 2fer release bonus
        tracks. The biggest, and to date most significant, release of Smile
        material is the 5CD _Good Vibrations_ box set which has a good chunk of
        the tracks as they were left (most of which were unfinished to some
        degree). I think about 40 minutes total. The set isn't terribly expensive
        by current box set standards and also includes a fairly comprehensive
        overview of their career (for those of you intrigued by the revival of
        interest of the 70s incarnation of the band). It's actually a 4CD comp +
        1 CD of collector-oriented stuff (a la what you might find in one of the
        Beatles anthologies).

        > something. it was released in the early 70s as 'smiley smile' and is
        > great regardless of its troubled past. it's not in print in the u.s.

        Smiley Smile was comprised of material recorded exclusively for it,
        post Smile plug-pull (except Good Vibrations, which was recorded before
        the Smile sessions and Heroes and Villains, which was an edited down
        version of the original). It was a deliberate move back to simplicity, see
        also Wild Honey. "She's Going Bald" (a song not intended for release on
        Smile) is the song that got my underground-oriented ears perked Beach
        Boys-ward.

        > there's also lots of multi-disc smile boots around. i haven't heard those.

        There's basically one 2CD and one 3LP. I believe all Smile boots are some
        sort of permutation of this material (the former, referred to as the
        "Japanese" boot came from tapes made for the band during a period in which
        they were considering issuing the stuff, so they're imaginably close to
        what's languishing around the vaults). Overall I'd say the 2CD is
        superior, though the 3LP does have a mind-bending section of "George Fell
        Into His French Horn" that I haven't heard anywhere else.

        > interesting things for a number of years after its release. a sorta
        > myth has built up that brian's breakdown was immediately after and
        > nothing else released is worthy of consideration. that's not true.

        I agree that this is kind of a weird way of looking at things.
        Conversely, most people dismiss the pre-Pet Sounds era as being nothing
        but hit singles, though albums like _Today_ clearly indicate where Brian
        Wilson was heading.

        The upshot is, if you want a reasonably complete collection of official
        Smile material, get the box and the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey 2fer CD with
        bonus tracks (still in print in England, I think).

        -rob
      • Jason Jay Stevens
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
          On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, R. Lim wrote:
          > degree). I think about 40 minutes total. The set isn't terribly expensive
          > by current box set standards and also includes a fairly comprehensive
          > overview of their career (for those of you intrigued by the revival of
          > interest of the 70s incarnation of the band). It's actually a 4CD comp +
          > 1 CD of collector-oriented stuff (a la what you might find in one of the
          > Beatles anthologies).

          I would check the public library, first. Cause it's like so many of these
          outtake things, like, worth a single listen, but not something you would
          keep in your 6CD player for a couple weeks. And seriously, how many times
          do you need to read the liner notes?
          Public libraries are great for box sets.
          I had the pleasure of listening to all of Ornette Coleman and company's
          Atlantic recordings for eight straight weeks thanks to the library. I
          could never have afforded to buy the set.
          (and now I have a complete copy on cassette tape! virtually for free! I
          can listen to it while I'm driving around in my van!)

          then...I know how you music geeks are about owning owning owning
          crazy fetish seekers that you are
        • Jason Witherspoon
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
            At 10:45 AM -0500 2/3/01, Jason Jay Stevens wrote:
            >(and now I have a complete copy on cassette tape! virtually for free! I
            >can listen to it while I'm driving around in my van!)
            >
            >then...I know how you music geeks are about owning owning owning
            >crazy fetish seekers that you are

            Yeah, some of us "music geeks" fetishists also have really wacky &
            nutty ideas about the artist making some puny profit from their work,
            if possible--
            --

            Jason Witherspoon
            ICQ #62837760

            ---------
            ----O----
            --- ---
            --- ---
            ----O----
            ---------
          • Iris Garrelfs
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
              on 3/2/01 8:25 pm, Jason Witherspoon at arzachel@... wrote:

              > At 10:45 AM -0500 2/3/01, Jason Jay Stevens wrote:
              >> (and now I have a complete copy on cassette tape! virtually for free! I
              >> can listen to it while I'm driving around in my van!)
              >>
              >> then...I know how you music geeks are about owning owning owning
              >> crazy fetish seekers that you are
              >
              > Yeah, some of us "music geeks" fetishists also have really wacky &
              > nutty ideas about the artist making some puny profit from their work,
              > if possible--

              well, why ever would you be having crazy ideas like that! Not happy with
              working at tesco any longer???
            • ninplant@xs4all.nl
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2001
                i have no problem liking those inventive middle period beachboy
                albums even today.

                i guess we don't need to go into the 'fact' that Mike Love maybe one
                of the WORST lead singer/performers of all time, topped only by the
                likes of Michael Bolton et al.

                He is execrable, yes, but what is even worse is their fawning begging
                groveling stance to play for the Reagan Coronation in 1980 - or was
                it 1984. They were avid fund raisers for the Reaganites and have been
                a performing albatross for about the last 15 years. which, of course,
                is not Brian's fault except for the fact that he is incapble of
                taking a bad band and making it interesting again...

                this does not get in the way of me appreciating their best work, however...

                just a small monkey wrench reality check in the BB accolades.

                bart / wreck this mess