Re: [thewire] beach boys

  • Alex Stone
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
      Pet Sounds - classic.
      Surf's Up - my favourite.

      Some of the Smile stuff ended up on Smiley Smile, and the Smile bootleg is
      great if you can get it, but possibly more interesting if you are already
      familiar with the official material. At their best, there's nothing like
      the Beach Boys.
    • Randy Gelling
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
        I've also become a convert of the white-boy soul and organ sound of Wild
        Honey and the later Dennis Wilson material on 20/20, etc. is also terrific.

        Randy

        On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Alex Stone wrote:

        > Pet Sounds - classic.
        > Surf's Up - my favourite.
        >
        > Some of the Smile stuff ended up on Smiley Smile, and the Smile bootleg is
        > great if you can get it, but possibly more interesting if you are already
        > familiar with the official material. At their best, there's nothing like
        > the Beach Boys.

      • Jason Witherspoon
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
          At 10:57 AM 2/2/01 -0500, kurt.gottschalk@... wrote:
          >smile was never completed and the tapes destroyed. against wilson's wishes,
          >someone at capitol records (or wherever) tried to reconstruct it and
          >complete it
          >using whatever sorts of dubs were still around. or something. it was
          >released in
          >the early 70s as 'smiley smile' and is great regardless of its troubled past.
          >it's not in print in the u.s. (where i am). my copy is a dutch import, as i
          >recall. you need it, if only for 'vegetables'.

          Nope, not quite. _Smiley Smile_ was the official Beach Boys album release
          after _Smile_ was shelved, in 1967. The versions of the songs here which
          were originally slated for _Smile_ ("Heroes & Villains", "Vega-Tables",
          "Wind Chimes") were deliberately released in unambitious lo-fi mixes by
          Brian, for reasons probably only he knows.

          "Cabinessence" & "Surf's Up", two of the major songs on _Smile_, eventually
          surfaced in more close-to-intended form on _20/20_ ('69, which also
          includes Chuckles Manson's "Never Learn Not to Love" aka "Cease to Exist",
          plaintively rendered by Dennis) and _Surf's Up_ ('71), which is a freaking
          masterpiece in it's own right w/Carl's transcendant "Feel Flows", & Brian's
          might-as-well-be-_Smile_-outtakes "Til I Die", & "A Day in the Life of a Tree".

          The other albums from the immediate post-_Smile_ era ('67's _Wild Honey_,
          '68's _Friends_, '70's _Sunflower_) all have a lot to recommend them as
          well. While _Pet Sounds_ (esp. the stereo mix) is a consistent
          masterpiece, it'd be pretty easy to extract 2 or 3 albums worth of stuff
          from the above (none of which comes clunker-free) that would be even more
          compelling, imo.
        • R. Lim
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
            Gack, beaten to the Beach Boys draw by Jason "Brian's Gone Forever, So
            Wipe Your Runny Nose With Your Hairshirt Sleeve" Witherspoon! I just have
            a couple of comments to add to his (non-reproduced) response.

            On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 kurt.gottschalk@... wrote:

            > the pet sounds 4-disc box is a really interesting listen. all of the
            > elements wilson compiled (vocal harmonies, train sounds, dogs barking,
            > etc.) seperated into original bits. it's better than that makes it
            > sound, but still not probably not worth the ticket price if you've not
            > heard the original.

            Yeah, the breakdown is something like stereo remix, instrumental
            version scattered among 2 CDs of outtakes and vocals only tracks. I
            personally find the separated stereo backing tracks and vocal-only tracks
            to be revelatory, but I have to admit that you'd probably want to know
            what you're getting into first.

            > album in mono and stereo, a bit unnecessary, but...

            Well, the stereo version was first presented in the box. Brian Wilson
            worked exclusively in mono at the time and never envisioned a stereo
            release of the album. So in that sense, the stereo version is a
            concession to modern home listening and the mono version the "director's
            cut".

            > smile was never completed and the tapes destroyed. against wilson's
            > wishes, someone at capitol records (or wherever) tried to reconstruct

            Untrue. There was talk of a Smile sessions box to be released a year
            after the Pet Sounds box. There was probably enough brou haha over the
            PS box to deter the second project (I think Mike Love was pissed off about
            the liner notes or something). One will probably have to wait until the
            guy dies for an officially sanctioned release.

            At any rate, like Jason said, some of the Smile material has been
            trickling out. 20/20 had a couple of tracks (though I could swear some of
            the stuff was rerecorded, Surf's Up maybe), and the full-length Heroes and
            Villains appeared on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey 2fer release bonus
            tracks. The biggest, and to date most significant, release of Smile
            material is the 5CD _Good Vibrations_ box set which has a good chunk of
            the tracks as they were left (most of which were unfinished to some
            degree). I think about 40 minutes total. The set isn't terribly expensive
            by current box set standards and also includes a fairly comprehensive
            overview of their career (for those of you intrigued by the revival of
            interest of the 70s incarnation of the band). It's actually a 4CD comp +
            1 CD of collector-oriented stuff (a la what you might find in one of the
            Beatles anthologies).

            > something. it was released in the early 70s as 'smiley smile' and is
            > great regardless of its troubled past. it's not in print in the u.s.

            Smiley Smile was comprised of material recorded exclusively for it,
            post Smile plug-pull (except Good Vibrations, which was recorded before
            the Smile sessions and Heroes and Villains, which was an edited down
            version of the original). It was a deliberate move back to simplicity, see
            also Wild Honey. "She's Going Bald" (a song not intended for release on
            Smile) is the song that got my underground-oriented ears perked Beach
            Boys-ward.

            > there's also lots of multi-disc smile boots around. i haven't heard those.

            There's basically one 2CD and one 3LP. I believe all Smile boots are some
            sort of permutation of this material (the former, referred to as the
            "Japanese" boot came from tapes made for the band during a period in which
            they were considering issuing the stuff, so they're imaginably close to
            what's languishing around the vaults). Overall I'd say the 2CD is
            superior, though the 3LP does have a mind-bending section of "George Fell
            Into His French Horn" that I haven't heard anywhere else.

            > interesting things for a number of years after its release. a sorta
            > myth has built up that brian's breakdown was immediately after and
            > nothing else released is worthy of consideration. that's not true.

            I agree that this is kind of a weird way of looking at things.
            Conversely, most people dismiss the pre-Pet Sounds era as being nothing
            but hit singles, though albums like _Today_ clearly indicate where Brian
            Wilson was heading.

            The upshot is, if you want a reasonably complete collection of official
            Smile material, get the box and the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey 2fer CD with
            bonus tracks (still in print in England, I think).

            -rob
          • Jason Jay Stevens
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
              On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, R. Lim wrote:
              > degree). I think about 40 minutes total. The set isn't terribly expensive
              > by current box set standards and also includes a fairly comprehensive
              > overview of their career (for those of you intrigued by the revival of
              > interest of the 70s incarnation of the band). It's actually a 4CD comp +
              > 1 CD of collector-oriented stuff (a la what you might find in one of the
              > Beatles anthologies).

              I would check the public library, first. Cause it's like so many of these
              outtake things, like, worth a single listen, but not something you would
              keep in your 6CD player for a couple weeks. And seriously, how many times
              do you need to read the liner notes?
              Public libraries are great for box sets.
              I had the pleasure of listening to all of Ornette Coleman and company's
              Atlantic recordings for eight straight weeks thanks to the library. I
              could never have afforded to buy the set.
              (and now I have a complete copy on cassette tape! virtually for free! I
              can listen to it while I'm driving around in my van!)

              then...I know how you music geeks are about owning owning owning
              crazy fetish seekers that you are
            • Jason Witherspoon
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
                At 10:45 AM -0500 2/3/01, Jason Jay Stevens wrote:
                >(and now I have a complete copy on cassette tape! virtually for free! I
                >can listen to it while I'm driving around in my van!)
                >
                >then...I know how you music geeks are about owning owning owning
                >crazy fetish seekers that you are

                Yeah, some of us "music geeks" fetishists also have really wacky &
                nutty ideas about the artist making some puny profit from their work,
                if possible--
                --

                Jason Witherspoon
                ICQ #62837760

                ---------
                ----O----
                --- ---
                --- ---
                ----O----
                ---------
              • Iris Garrelfs
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                  on 3/2/01 8:25 pm, Jason Witherspoon at arzachel@... wrote:

                  > At 10:45 AM -0500 2/3/01, Jason Jay Stevens wrote:
                  >> (and now I have a complete copy on cassette tape! virtually for free! I
                  >> can listen to it while I'm driving around in my van!)
                  >>
                  >> then...I know how you music geeks are about owning owning owning
                  >> crazy fetish seekers that you are
                  >
                  > Yeah, some of us "music geeks" fetishists also have really wacky &
                  > nutty ideas about the artist making some puny profit from their work,
                  > if possible--

                  well, why ever would you be having crazy ideas like that! Not happy with
                  working at tesco any longer???
                • ninplant@xs4all.nl
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 5, 2001
                    i have no problem liking those inventive middle period beachboy
                    albums even today.

                    i guess we don't need to go into the 'fact' that Mike Love maybe one
                    of the WORST lead singer/performers of all time, topped only by the
                    likes of Michael Bolton et al.

                    He is execrable, yes, but what is even worse is their fawning begging
                    groveling stance to play for the Reagan Coronation in 1980 - or was
                    it 1984. They were avid fund raisers for the Reaganites and have been
                    a performing albatross for about the last 15 years. which, of course,
                    is not Brian's fault except for the fact that he is incapble of
                    taking a bad band and making it interesting again...

                    this does not get in the way of me appreciating their best work, however...

                    just a small monkey wrench reality check in the BB accolades.

                    bart / wreck this mess