beach boys

  • Albrecht Koschnik
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hi All!

      since people are talking about metal bands right now, it seems appropriate
      to inquire about the Beach Boys:

      I just read the piece on Brian Wilson in Nick Kent's _The Dark Stuff_
      (which I highly recommend, btw). I've never heard more than the usual
      greatest hits compilation, but Kent's description of Wilson's 'Pet
      Sounds'/'Smile'-era work makes it, um, sound rather interesting. I
      seem to recall that there is a Pet Sounds box (but very much doubt I
      would want to listen to all of it). What is/is not on the single-cd Pet
      Sounds currently available? Has any of the Smile-related material ever
      been released?

      Thanks, Albrecht
    • Keith McColl
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
        essential listening is also 'sunflower/surfs up' which was reissued last
        year - a beautiful happy thing . i listened to it in xmas landscape of snow
        on walkman over festive period whilst badly hungover - a cosmic experience .
        fuck pet sounds go get that one .

        ***lead us not into temptation , but deliver us from evil,for thine is the
        kingdom , the power and the glory , forever and ever amen .***
        Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
        company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
        attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
        recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
        inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
        e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

      • John Farrar
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
          Some Smile stuff has been around on bootleg for some years. The one I
          picked up also had a load of Smiley Smile outtakes. Fascinating to see how
          Good Vibrations developed.

          John

        • kurt.gottschalk@scni.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
            the pet sounds 4-disc box is a really interesting listen. all of the elements
            wilson compiled (vocal harmonies, train sounds, dogs barking, etc.) seperated
            into original bits. it's better than that makes it sound, but still not probably
            not worth the ticket price if you've not heard the original.

            the one-disc pet sounds is readily available and brilliant. mine repeats the
            album in mono and stereo, a bit unnecessary, but...

            smile was never completed and the tapes destroyed. against wilson's wishes,
            someone at capitol records (or wherever) tried to reconstruct it and complete it
            using whatever sorts of dubs were still around. or something. it was released in
            the early 70s as 'smiley smile' and is great regardless of its troubled past.
            it's not in print in the u.s. (where i am). my copy is a dutch import, as i
            recall. you need it, if only for 'vegetables'.

            there's also lots of multi-disc smile boots around. i haven't heard those.

            the praise surrounding pet sounds, starting at the time with paul mccartney, has
            sort of eclipsed the fact that they continued to do interesting things for a
            number of years after its release. a sorta myth has built up that brian's
            breakdown was immediately after and nothing else released is worthy of
            consideration. that's not true. although pet sounds may be the most engaging,
            others, like 'sunflower' are also quite nice.

            surfin usa,
            kurt
          • Alex Stone
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
              Pet Sounds - classic.
              Surf's Up - my favourite.

              Some of the Smile stuff ended up on Smiley Smile, and the Smile bootleg is
              great if you can get it, but possibly more interesting if you are already
              familiar with the official material. At their best, there's nothing like
              the Beach Boys.
            • Randy Gelling
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
                I've also become a convert of the white-boy soul and organ sound of Wild
                Honey and the later Dennis Wilson material on 20/20, etc. is also terrific.

                Randy

                On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Alex Stone wrote:

                > Pet Sounds - classic.
                > Surf's Up - my favourite.
                >
                > Some of the Smile stuff ended up on Smiley Smile, and the Smile bootleg is
                > great if you can get it, but possibly more interesting if you are already
                > familiar with the official material. At their best, there's nothing like
                > the Beach Boys.

              • Jason Witherspoon
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
                  At 10:57 AM 2/2/01 -0500, kurt.gottschalk@... wrote:
                  >smile was never completed and the tapes destroyed. against wilson's wishes,
                  >someone at capitol records (or wherever) tried to reconstruct it and
                  >complete it
                  >using whatever sorts of dubs were still around. or something. it was
                  >released in
                  >the early 70s as 'smiley smile' and is great regardless of its troubled past.
                  >it's not in print in the u.s. (where i am). my copy is a dutch import, as i
                  >recall. you need it, if only for 'vegetables'.

                  Nope, not quite. _Smiley Smile_ was the official Beach Boys album release
                  after _Smile_ was shelved, in 1967. The versions of the songs here which
                  were originally slated for _Smile_ ("Heroes & Villains", "Vega-Tables",
                  "Wind Chimes") were deliberately released in unambitious lo-fi mixes by
                  Brian, for reasons probably only he knows.

                  "Cabinessence" & "Surf's Up", two of the major songs on _Smile_, eventually
                  surfaced in more close-to-intended form on _20/20_ ('69, which also
                  includes Chuckles Manson's "Never Learn Not to Love" aka "Cease to Exist",
                  plaintively rendered by Dennis) and _Surf's Up_ ('71), which is a freaking
                  masterpiece in it's own right w/Carl's transcendant "Feel Flows", & Brian's
                  might-as-well-be-_Smile_-outtakes "Til I Die", & "A Day in the Life of a Tree".

                  The other albums from the immediate post-_Smile_ era ('67's _Wild Honey_,
                  '68's _Friends_, '70's _Sunflower_) all have a lot to recommend them as
                  well. While _Pet Sounds_ (esp. the stereo mix) is a consistent
                  masterpiece, it'd be pretty easy to extract 2 or 3 albums worth of stuff
                  from the above (none of which comes clunker-free) that would be even more
                  compelling, imo.
                • R. Lim
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
                    Gack, beaten to the Beach Boys draw by Jason "Brian's Gone Forever, So
                    Wipe Your Runny Nose With Your Hairshirt Sleeve" Witherspoon! I just have
                    a couple of comments to add to his (non-reproduced) response.

                    On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 kurt.gottschalk@... wrote:

                    > the pet sounds 4-disc box is a really interesting listen. all of the
                    > elements wilson compiled (vocal harmonies, train sounds, dogs barking,
                    > etc.) seperated into original bits. it's better than that makes it
                    > sound, but still not probably not worth the ticket price if you've not
                    > heard the original.

                    Yeah, the breakdown is something like stereo remix, instrumental
                    version scattered among 2 CDs of outtakes and vocals only tracks. I
                    personally find the separated stereo backing tracks and vocal-only tracks
                    to be revelatory, but I have to admit that you'd probably want to know
                    what you're getting into first.

                    > album in mono and stereo, a bit unnecessary, but...

                    Well, the stereo version was first presented in the box. Brian Wilson
                    worked exclusively in mono at the time and never envisioned a stereo
                    release of the album. So in that sense, the stereo version is a
                    concession to modern home listening and the mono version the "director's
                    cut".

                    > smile was never completed and the tapes destroyed. against wilson's
                    > wishes, someone at capitol records (or wherever) tried to reconstruct

                    Untrue. There was talk of a Smile sessions box to be released a year
                    after the Pet Sounds box. There was probably enough brou haha over the
                    PS box to deter the second project (I think Mike Love was pissed off about
                    the liner notes or something). One will probably have to wait until the
                    guy dies for an officially sanctioned release.

                    At any rate, like Jason said, some of the Smile material has been
                    trickling out. 20/20 had a couple of tracks (though I could swear some of
                    the stuff was rerecorded, Surf's Up maybe), and the full-length Heroes and
                    Villains appeared on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey 2fer release bonus
                    tracks. The biggest, and to date most significant, release of Smile
                    material is the 5CD _Good Vibrations_ box set which has a good chunk of
                    the tracks as they were left (most of which were unfinished to some
                    degree). I think about 40 minutes total. The set isn't terribly expensive
                    by current box set standards and also includes a fairly comprehensive
                    overview of their career (for those of you intrigued by the revival of
                    interest of the 70s incarnation of the band). It's actually a 4CD comp +
                    1 CD of collector-oriented stuff (a la what you might find in one of the
                    Beatles anthologies).

                    > something. it was released in the early 70s as 'smiley smile' and is
                    > great regardless of its troubled past. it's not in print in the u.s.

                    Smiley Smile was comprised of material recorded exclusively for it,
                    post Smile plug-pull (except Good Vibrations, which was recorded before
                    the Smile sessions and Heroes and Villains, which was an edited down
                    version of the original). It was a deliberate move back to simplicity, see
                    also Wild Honey. "She's Going Bald" (a song not intended for release on
                    Smile) is the song that got my underground-oriented ears perked Beach
                    Boys-ward.

                    > there's also lots of multi-disc smile boots around. i haven't heard those.

                    There's basically one 2CD and one 3LP. I believe all Smile boots are some
                    sort of permutation of this material (the former, referred to as the
                    "Japanese" boot came from tapes made for the band during a period in which
                    they were considering issuing the stuff, so they're imaginably close to
                    what's languishing around the vaults). Overall I'd say the 2CD is
                    superior, though the 3LP does have a mind-bending section of "George Fell
                    Into His French Horn" that I haven't heard anywhere else.

                    > interesting things for a number of years after its release. a sorta
                    > myth has built up that brian's breakdown was immediately after and
                    > nothing else released is worthy of consideration. that's not true.

                    I agree that this is kind of a weird way of looking at things.
                    Conversely, most people dismiss the pre-Pet Sounds era as being nothing
                    but hit singles, though albums like _Today_ clearly indicate where Brian
                    Wilson was heading.

                    The upshot is, if you want a reasonably complete collection of official
                    Smile material, get the box and the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey 2fer CD with
                    bonus tracks (still in print in England, I think).

                    -rob
                  • Jason Jay Stevens
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
                      On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, R. Lim wrote:
                      > degree). I think about 40 minutes total. The set isn't terribly expensive
                      > by current box set standards and also includes a fairly comprehensive
                      > overview of their career (for those of you intrigued by the revival of
                      > interest of the 70s incarnation of the band). It's actually a 4CD comp +
                      > 1 CD of collector-oriented stuff (a la what you might find in one of the
                      > Beatles anthologies).

                      I would check the public library, first. Cause it's like so many of these
                      outtake things, like, worth a single listen, but not something you would
                      keep in your 6CD player for a couple weeks. And seriously, how many times
                      do you need to read the liner notes?
                      Public libraries are great for box sets.
                      I had the pleasure of listening to all of Ornette Coleman and company's
                      Atlantic recordings for eight straight weeks thanks to the library. I
                      could never have afforded to buy the set.
                      (and now I have a complete copy on cassette tape! virtually for free! I
                      can listen to it while I'm driving around in my van!)

                      then...I know how you music geeks are about owning owning owning
                      crazy fetish seekers that you are
                    • Jason Witherspoon
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
                        At 10:45 AM -0500 2/3/01, Jason Jay Stevens wrote:
                        >(and now I have a complete copy on cassette tape! virtually for free! I
                        >can listen to it while I'm driving around in my van!)
                        >
                        >then...I know how you music geeks are about owning owning owning
                        >crazy fetish seekers that you are

                        Yeah, some of us "music geeks" fetishists also have really wacky &
                        nutty ideas about the artist making some puny profit from their work,
                        if possible--
                        --

                        Jason Witherspoon
                        ICQ #62837760

                        ---------
                        ----O----
                        --- ---
                        --- ---
                        ----O----
                        ---------
                      • Iris Garrelfs
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                          on 3/2/01 8:25 pm, Jason Witherspoon at arzachel@... wrote:

                          > At 10:45 AM -0500 2/3/01, Jason Jay Stevens wrote:
                          >> (and now I have a complete copy on cassette tape! virtually for free! I
                          >> can listen to it while I'm driving around in my van!)
                          >>
                          >> then...I know how you music geeks are about owning owning owning
                          >> crazy fetish seekers that you are
                          >
                          > Yeah, some of us "music geeks" fetishists also have really wacky &
                          > nutty ideas about the artist making some puny profit from their work,
                          > if possible--

                          well, why ever would you be having crazy ideas like that! Not happy with
                          working at tesco any longer???
                        • ninplant@xs4all.nl
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 5, 2001
                            i have no problem liking those inventive middle period beachboy
                            albums even today.

                            i guess we don't need to go into the 'fact' that Mike Love maybe one
                            of the WORST lead singer/performers of all time, topped only by the
                            likes of Michael Bolton et al.

                            He is execrable, yes, but what is even worse is their fawning begging
                            groveling stance to play for the Reagan Coronation in 1980 - or was
                            it 1984. They were avid fund raisers for the Reaganites and have been
                            a performing albatross for about the last 15 years. which, of course,
                            is not Brian's fault except for the fact that he is incapble of
                            taking a bad band and making it interesting again...

                            this does not get in the way of me appreciating their best work, however...

                            just a small monkey wrench reality check in the BB accolades.

                            bart / wreck this mess