Re: [thewire] TOP FIVE (um, I mean, 10)

  • jamello@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2000
      This year's highlights, again in no particular order...

      The Necks - Hanging Garden (yes yes, thanks so much to fellow Wire list
      members for turning me on to these guys this year. BTW, their back CDs are
      available from their web site and with the US/Aussie exchange rate are a
      STEAL, cheaper than buying them in stores here -- if you can find them --
      including shipping.)
      Circle -- Andexelt (why aren't these guys HUGE among Wire-ites?)
      Tabla Beat Matrix (a laswell record I actually listen to, anyone know if "Lo
      Def Pressure" ever came out?)
      Augutus Pablo -- Dub Reggae & Roots from the Melodica King comp.
      Dettinger -- Oasis (just enough structure to make it enjoyable instead of
      simply "interesting")
      Tarantula Hawk -- s/t (Y2K prog, post-rock style. can't even begin to
      explain how much this rocks on headphones)
      Botchit Break Speech comp.
      Last of the Juanitas -- Hawaii (gnarly & noisy, like a slightly
      out-of-control melvins/post-rock hybrid, the sound of metal falling apart)
      Outkast -- Stankonia (a giant step beyond typical mainstream hip hop and more
      fun than most alt-rap.)
      The Slits -- The Peel Sessions (a 1998 release that I just got, they leave
      Dennis Bovell on the sidelines and turn up the guitars on these barely
      recognizable versions of songs from "Cut", puts to shame most everything on
      the Kill Rock Stars label.)

      Happy y2k+1

      -- Jack