Re: [thewire] janek shaefer

  • Steve Bates
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2000
      hi

      janek was just in n.america touring with comae (he and robert hampson of
      main). they were performing primarily with minidisc players and some basic
      effects. it was really enjoyable. as part of their tour they performed
      here in winnipeg as well as participating in an installation project with
      montreal turntablist, martin tetreault. the installation was really
      beautiful and consisted of several small, cheap speakers lining an
      mainlevel entranceway to a gallery space. the speakers continued up a set
      of stairs to the second floor and down another short hall. the speakers
      were in a stereo field and staggered left & right. the sound consisted of
      brief (i.e. 2-5 seconds) sounds composed by the three. the idea was
      for each of them to send a cd with their sounds on it. the cd's were
      played through three separate cd plyers each in random/repeat mode
      so that any time you moved through the piece you would hear an
      original composition - or another way to consider it would be a
      never-ending composition that would almost never have any three
      sounds duplicated. excuse my lack of advanced math but the chances
      of a similar passage re-occuring would be extremely slim. each cd had 99
      tracks approximately 1/3 being complete silence. as you moved through the
      piece you would be surrounded by little blasts of beautiful, staticky,
      scratchy sounds. we recorded about 90 minutes of audio moving through the
      piece and janek seems to be planning to release it sometime.

      i have "out" on k-raa-k and really enjoy that a lot. janek also sent me a
      copy of the comae cd which should be out soon (if not already) on an
      austrian label whose name i can't remember right now. i haven't heard
      "above buildings " yet.

      the wire ran a brief article on janek two issues ago if you can find a
      copy of that.

      steve

      steve bates (program director) send + receive: a festival of sound
      ckuw 95.9 fm www.sendandreceive.org
      university of winnipeg
      515 portage avenue
      winnipeg mb r3b 2e9 canada