Re: [thewire] Re: miles davis bio

  • PT
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2000
      Chuck Marcus wrote:

      > Last year I read through a number of MD bios and here's a brief outline:

      > ** Miles Davis : the definitive biography / Ian Carr. In-depth discussion on his recordings.

      +++ I have also read nearly all these books as well -
      and I agree with most of Chucks opinions, but I think he
      sells the Carr book short with this description.

      The Carr book was originally printed about 15 yrs ago,
      this one I did not read. But the new updated one from
      a year or so ago - is more than just music. He gets
      into the life and times of Miles very well I thought
      and I felt it was fairly definitive with the exception of Miles
      own book of course.

      the Jack Chambers book is also cool, but is much more
      about just the music, sessions, etc

      Carr presents a wide scope on Miles with of course
      a close look at the music. It would be my first
      choice to suggest besides Miles own book.