gap & 'the underground'

  • phil hargreaves
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2000
      i think there's a debate here also about what constitutes 'underground'
      in the first place, cos it seems to me that unless there's a specific
      political or artistic commitment to certain ways of working, then
      nothing unusual is in fact being offered. a lot of what's tagged as
      'underground' is in fact identical to the mainstream, just less well
      known - the values and approaches are those of the mainstream, and if
      the artists in question become better known, they simply move into the
      mainstream w/out causing a ripple. at this point the 'underground' isn't
      positing any sort of alternative to the mainstream, and isn't presenting
      a critique of it, it's simply acting as the talent scouts & feeder
      leagues.

      phil hargreaves

      --
      whi music