miles davis bio

  • Albrecht Koschnik
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
      Hi,

      any recommendations for a readable Miles Davis biography? There are quite
      a few bios. or other works on MD in print. I am looking for a text that
      combines a life-and-times approach (without a detail fetish) with an
      analysis of the music that a non-musician can comprehend. Thanks in
      advance for any suggestions.

      albrecht
    • Jason Witherspoon
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
        At 4:15 AM -0500 12/3/00, Albrecht Koschnik wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >any recommendations for a readable Miles Davis biography? There are quite
        >a few bios. or other works on MD in print. I am looking for a text that
        >combines a life-and-times approach (without a detail fetish) with an
        >analysis of the music that a non-musician can comprehend. Thanks in
        >advance for any suggestions.
        >
        >albrecht

        Read his autobiography. Brilliant, hilarious. You'll learn nothing
        (and everything) about his music.
        --

        Jason Witherspoon
        ICQ #62837760

        ---------
        ----O----
        --- ---
        --- ---
        ----O----
        ---------
      • Terry Lewis
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
          I agree!!! His autobiography is funny as heck. and also very serious.

          >From: Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@...>
          >To: thewire@egroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [thewire] miles davis bio
          >Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 02:49:13 -0800
          >
          >At 4:15 AM -0500 12/3/00, Albrecht Koschnik wrote:
          > >Hi,
          > >
          > >any recommendations for a readable Miles Davis biography? There are
          >quite
          > >a few bios. or other works on MD in print. I am looking for a text that
          > >combines a life-and-times approach (without a detail fetish) with an
          > >analysis of the music that a non-musician can comprehend. Thanks in
          > >advance for any suggestions.
          > >
          > >albrecht
          >
          >Read his autobiography. Brilliant, hilarious. You'll learn nothing
          >(and everything) about his music.
          >--
          >

          > Jason Witherspoon
          > ICQ #62837760
          >
          > ---------
          > ----O----
          > --- ---
          > --- ---
          > ----O----
          > ---------

        • PT
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
            Miles own book is a MUST read, just for fun if nothing else,
            but in terms of a bio, I would say the one by Ian Carr.
            I have read them all and the Carr book is what I think
            you would want.
          • Steven Taylor
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
              It is great.
              Illustrates perfectly what an arrogant chauvinist asshole he really was...
              but also what a charmer he could be because I ended up liking him more by
              the end..

              PT wrote:

              > Miles own book is a MUST read, just for fun if nothing else,
              > but in terms of a bio, I would say the one by Ian Carr.
              > I have read them all and the Carr book is what I think
              > you would want.

            • andrew
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
                Miles' autobio is a great read, but is a horrible rip-off of jack
                chalmers' earlier bio, "Milestones 1 & 2". the autobio originally came
                out circa late 80's/90, i think, and the chalmers book was published in
                the early-mid 80's. a lot of critics and music writers tore davis apart
                for mostly rehashing chalmers (and, at some points, word-for-word
                appropriating his earlier book). and to be honest, chalmers is a more
                interesting author (and the revised version is much more detailed) than
                miles and his "co-writer", quincy troupe.

                andrew

                PT wrote:

                > Miles own book is a MUST read, just for fun if nothing else,
                > but in terms of a bio, I would say the one by Ian Carr.
                > I have read them all and the Carr book is what I think
                > you would want.

              • Anulio
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
                  Andrew,

                  I just placed a hold on this book at our library.
                  Thank you for the recommendation.
                  For anyone interested, it's Jack Chambers, or at least that's the way it's
                  catalogued at the Seattle Public Library.

                  Edward

                  > Miles' autobio is a great read, but is a horrible rip-off of jack
                  > chalmers' earlier bio, "Milestones 1 & 2". the autobio originally came
                  > out circa late 80's/90, i think, and the chalmers book was published in
                  > the early-mid 80's. a lot of critics and music writers tore davis apart
                  > for mostly rehashing chalmers (and, at some points, word-for-word
                  > appropriating his earlier book). and to be honest, chalmers is a more
                  > interesting author (and the revised version is much more detailed) than
                  > miles and his "co-writer", quincy troupe.
                  >
                  > andrew
                  >
                  > PT wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Miles own book is a MUST read, just for fun if nothing else,
                  > > but in terms of a bio, I would say the one by Ian Carr.
                  > > I have read them all and the Carr book is what I think
                  > > you would want.

                • Chuck Marcus
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 2000
                    Last year I read through a number of MD bios and here's a brief outline:

                    The autobiography is indeed a great read, up there with Mingus's "Beneath
                    the Underdog" -- a highly subjective book which will give you a chance to
                    experience the many meanings of the work "motherfucker".

                    The Jack Chambers book is one of those incredibly detailed, session by
                    session type jazz books that is full of information.

                    Two collections of articles --

                    **The Miles Davis companion : four decades of commentary / edited by Gary
                    Carner.

                    **A Miles Davis reader / edited by Bill Kirchner.

                    are absolutely essential. The Kichner book contains a number of invisible
                    jukebox type interviews over the years with Leonard Feather at Downbeat.
                    They are an incredible read, just amazing. Early interviews, MD is very
                    complimentary of his fellow musicians. Later interviews, MD goes off on
                    Dolphy, Ornette and Sun Ra in no uncertain terms.

                    The Krichner book also contains a brilliant analysis by Harvey Pekar of
                    1964-69 recordings.

                    The Carner book contains Stanley Crouch's scathing article on MD's
                    big sellout in the 80's. Many critiques of the autobio as well.

                    ** 'Round about midnight : a portrait of Miles
                    Davis / by Eric Nisenson.

                    This one is my favorite bio (aside from the autobio). A revisionist sort
                    of history written by a jazz writer who got his access to Miles in the
                    '70s by being his coke mule while MD was holed up in is Upper West Side
                    house. Kind of the inside scoop.

                    ** Miles Davis : the definitive biography / Ian Carr. In-depth discussion
                    on his recordings.

                    ** Miles Davis: a musical biography / Bill Cole. Mostly academic, includes
                    solo transcriptions, recording sessions, bibliography.

                    Cheers,

                    Chuck
                  • PT
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 5, 2000
                      Chuck Marcus wrote:

                      > Last year I read through a number of MD bios and here's a brief outline:

                      > ** Miles Davis : the definitive biography / Ian Carr. In-depth discussion on his recordings.

                      +++ I have also read nearly all these books as well -
                      and I agree with most of Chucks opinions, but I think he
                      sells the Carr book short with this description.

                      The Carr book was originally printed about 15 yrs ago,
                      this one I did not read. But the new updated one from
                      a year or so ago - is more than just music. He gets
                      into the life and times of Miles very well I thought
                      and I felt it was fairly definitive with the exception of Miles
                      own book of course.

                      the Jack Chambers book is also cool, but is much more
                      about just the music, sessions, etc

                      Carr presents a wide scope on Miles with of course
                      a close look at the music. It would be my first
                      choice to suggest besides Miles own book.