RE: [thewire] gap

  • Jawed Ashraf
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1 6:38 AM
      I lived with an advertising creative. He read, amongst other things, girls
      magazines like More (teen, virtually pre-teen), in order to know his market.
      (More is actually a good laugh - the sexual position of the week was one of
      the best bits - and then there's the irony of something like that in a
      magazine for 12-15 year olds though it also seems to have a 20-something
      audience...)

      "Normally when a company uses really cool music for it's advert you think,
      hmm, cool company" was rhetorical.

      Jawed

      >===== Original Message From Jason Jay Stevens <spoke@...> =====
      >On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Jawed Ashraf wrote:
      >
      >> This is sickening.
      >>
      >> Normally when a company uses really cool music for it's advert you think,
      >> hmm, cool company.
      >
      >Really?
      >You fall for that sort of nonsense?
      >
      >I guess advertising is a multi-ka-trillon dollar bizness for a reason:
      >it works
      >
      >people are suckers for attractive images of attractive people listening to
      >attractive music
      >regardless of what the company behind the ad really represents
      >(and as far as Gap goes...let's not go there...)
      >
      >Just a reminder:
      >corporations hire ad agencies
      >which hire savvy young liberal arts grads
      >who know a thing or two about music
      >(and maybe subscribe to hip lists like this one...
      >for the inside scoop...)
      >and search out obscure music (which doesn't cost as much as the hits)
      >especially music with a cult following
      >and mix it with images to foster a favorable emotional response
      >which appeals to you in your television trance state
      >and suggests to you
      >"hey this company must make some pretty cool clothes
      > I might buy some next time I go to the mall."
      >
      >smash your TV, man
      >

      >+ From: JasonJayStevens
      >+ mediaArts&research
      >+ potterBelmarLabs
      >+ spoke@...

    • Steeples Paul (Mr PW)
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1 9:01 AM
        It sounds both opaque and interesting. In my experience, a lot of this
        cultural criticism incorporates interesting and probably good ideas buried
        under tons of jargon and footnotes (the curse of academia). Anyway, it gives
        me something to look into I'd not come across before which, in spite of the
        views of some malcontents, is what makes this forum worthwhile to me...

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2 9:00 AM

          Jawed Ashraf wrote:

          > I lived with an advertising creative. He read, amongst other things, girls
          > magazines like More (teen, virtually pre-teen), in order to know his market.
          > (More is actually a good laugh - the sexual position of the week was one of
          > the best bits - and then there's the irony of something like that in a
          > magazine for 12-15 year olds though it also seems to have a 20-something
          > audience...)
          >
          > "Normally when a company uses really cool music for it's advert you think,
          > hmm, cool company" was rhetorical.
          >
          > Jawed
          >
          > >===== Original Message From Jason Jay Stevens <spoke@...> =====
          > >On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Jawed Ashraf wrote:
          > >
          > >> This is sickening.
          > >>
          > >> Normally when a company uses really cool music for it's advert you think,
          > >> hmm, cool company.
          > >
          > >Really?
          > >You fall for that sort of nonsense?
          > >
          > >I guess advertising is a multi-ka-trillon dollar bizness for a reason:
          > >it works
          > >
          > >people are suckers for attractive images of attractive people listening to
          > >attractive music
          > >regardless of what the company behind the ad really represents
          > >(and as far as Gap goes...let's not go there...)
          > >
          > >Just a reminder:
          > >corporations hire ad agencies
          > >which hire savvy young liberal arts grads
          > >who know a thing or two about music
          > >(and maybe subscribe to hip lists like this one...
          > >for the inside scoop...)
          > >and search out obscure music (which doesn't cost as much as the hits)
          > >especially music with a cult following
          > >and mix it with images to foster a favorable emotional response
          > >which appeals to you in your television trance state
          > >and suggests to you
          > >"hey this company must make some pretty cool clothes
          > > I might buy some next time I go to the mall."
          > >
          > >smash your TV, man
          > >

          > >+ From: JasonJayStevens
          > >+ mediaArts&research
          > >+ potterBelmarLabs
          > >+ spoke@...

        • Jason Jay Stevens
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3 11:16 AM
            On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Manuel V. Cabrera Jr. wrote:
            > want to write an email so long that no one would read it. i hope at least the
            > comments on melancholy will be somewhat clear. of course, any objections
            > and/or corrections will be wlecome.

            Oh--it was the melancholy bit for which I needed clarification.
            The rest came relatively easily (relatively being the keyWord).

            do you (or your pundits) imply that capitalism possesses a gravity
            towards cynicism and melancholy?

            p.s. we Do live in self-proclaimed "post-modern capitalist" times.
            however, capitalism by-and-large functions as it did one -two hundred
            years ago.
            post-modernism has more to do with the global-awareness and
            history-awareness that our culture has developed-- and our novel
            relationship to the global and to history.

            ...........as I understand it..........

            + From: JasonJayStevens
            + mediaArts&research
            + potterBelmarLabs
            + spoke@...
          • ZURAW,BRYAN LAWRENCE
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4 8:25 AM
              Folks who liked the Davis bio might be interested to read
              an essay by Quincy Troupe (Miles' co-author) about his
              impressions of Miles.

              It appeared in Conjunctions 16 in 1991. It's an entire
              issue dedicated tomusical topics including an interview
              with Philip Corner, a piece on jazz by Hayden Carruth,
              Jackson MacLow , Gearld Early, Nathaniel Mackey, Amiri Baraka,
              Lukas Foss and lots more. Should be available in university libraries.

              Bryan