Re: [thewire] now i get the xmas joke

  • simonsmith@readingchronicle.co.uk
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
      I don't think anyone said anything about 'favourite' music during commercials ... because obviously that would be Chicken Tonight.

      Subject: [thewire] now i get the xmas joke
      Author: MIME:bpinke@... at INTERNET
      Date: 30/11/2000 13:23

      I guess it was the shock of Cale's death and ressurrection that had me in shock, but at first, I thought you were all serious about your xmas music recommendations. But then I remembered that I'm not allowed to take anything at face value on this list (how 90's), and I'm pleased to announce that I've finally peeled back the layers of reference, satire, and irony, and my God! this is hilarious. Thanks for the laughs, guys, love the multiple recursive irony. You're piling it on thick.

      PS I especially like the current subthread re: favorite music during commercials. For a minute, I thought you all really watch TV, the shaper of mass-taste. Good one...

      -------------------------- eGroups Sponsor -------------------------~-~> eLerts
      It's Easy. It's Fun. Best of All, it's Free! http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/1/_/473762/_/975590125/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------_->

    • Jawed Ashraf
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
        >===== Original Message From simonsmith@... =====
        >I don't think anyone said anything about 'favourite' music during commercials
        ... because obviously that would be Chicken Tonight.

        *****YOU BASTARD***** NOW I'VE GOT THAT FUCKING TUNE RUNNING ROUND MY HEAD.
        YOU UTTER CUNT.

        BIRDY SONG - HA, TAKE THAT!

        JAWED
      • Jason Jay Stevens
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
          Your criticism falls on deaf ears

          don't slam the door

          and don't send eMails like this to a list unless you want to spammed

          On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, [iso-8859-1] Øivind Idsø wrote:

          > I guess this will qualify me as Scrooge or something, but still: I`m outta
          > here. This list contains nothing but cheeky (or cheesy) one-liners these
          > days (weeks/months) on topics that could very well have appeared in Melody
          > Maker or Select or NME or whatever. And how that John Cale-thread could go
          > on for days and days and days (and mails and mails and mails) is beyond me,
          > as I think most people "got" whatever there was to get after the first
          > couple of tongue-in-cheeks.
          >
          > Yes, yes: no one will miss me and all that, but if it´s any consolation: I
          > won´t miss this list, either. To be on the safe side: ;)
          >
          > Keith McColl wrote:
          >
          > > easy chris - im talkin world peace
          > >

          > [stuff deleted]
          >
          > /Øivind/