a Bell-puzzle (possibly)

  • Tiit Kusnets
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2000
      yeah, Bell, i mean, as in - Clive Bell

      the writer of the 'Mr.Bell Considers', that Wire column of yore;
      member of Frank Chickens/ Kohondo Style/ British Summertime Ends, etc;
      involved with the London Musicians Collective;
      connoisseur of Oriental pop & Western-produced ethno-projects,
      reviewer of same;
      co-player on a.o. Jah Wobble's albums, Bill Laswell's dates, etc

      — so far, positive, it's one and the same person

      NOW - Clive Bell ("Indian bamboo flutes") & Max Reed's ("synths")
      joint alb 'Kailash Mandala'(1988/93, Oreade),
      in the accompanying booklet there's a photo of a "Clive Bell" which
      depicts an ASTONISHINGLY different countenance from that seen beside
      those Wire columns, and also totally unlike the Clive Bell seen on
      stage with the British Summertime in the early 90s!

      ...is this world really big enough for TWO Clive Bell-s, BOTH expert
      performers on the shakuhachi, the khene & (as it seems to me, a whole
      myriad of) other Eastern instruments?
      will the real Clive Bell(s) stand up, please!

      dazed & confzed,
      tiit
    • abaton@crystal.palace.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
        Yes, still another Clive Bell! The formalist art critic, developed
        notions of significant form...fair enough. He lost everyone I'm
        afraid
        with his take on "quality."

        He may have owned a Ehr-hu!

        Xmas music?

        The Marianne Nowottny Christmas/New Year 7" "Jesus-in-a-Jiffy" is
        availabe from cdstree.com

        url below:
        http://www.cdstreet.com/cgi-bin/artisthome_db.cgi?297569

        abc