now i get the xmas joke

  • Pinke, Brian
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2000
      I guess it was the shock of Cale's death and ressurrection that had me in
      shock, but at first, I thought you were all serious about your xmas music
      recommendations. But then I remembered that I'm not allowed to take
      anything at face value on this list (how 90's), and I'm pleased to announce
      that I've finally peeled back the layers of reference, satire, and irony,
      and my God! this is hilarious. Thanks for the laughs, guys, love the
      multiple recursive irony. You're piling it on thick.

      PS I especially like the current subthread re: favorite music during
      commercials. For a minute, I thought you all really watch TV, the shaper of
      mass-taste. Good one...
    • jamello@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 30, 2000
        >I guess it was the shock of Cale's death and ressurrection that had me in shock, but at first, I thought you were all serious about your xmas music
        recommendations.<

        So let me get this straight...
        1. John Cale dead then ressurected;
        2. JC=JC (John Cale=Jesus Christ);
        urgo
        3. Xmas music dicussion!

        Appreciate the clarification, I never denied being a bit thick regarding these more esoteric matters.

        Speaking of the holiday season, Chocolate Industries' "Rapid Transit" comp would make a nice stocking stuffer, as would the latest Kompact comp, Heartbreakers '77 Lost Mixes, Hairy Butter and OutKast CDs. Actually, I guess now is more the time to ask loved ones for all those hefty box sets that you've pondered all year long.

        Any other gift-giving suggestions?
      • Keith McColl
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 30, 2000
          may i suggest the greatest + cheapest gift of all :
          love

          now skin up

          ***GIMME A BULLET TO BITE ON SOMETHIN TO CHEW***
          Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
          company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
          attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
          recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
          inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
          e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

        • Chris Herbert
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 30, 2000
            nah! everyone has a copy of forever changes these days

            ______________________________________
            Chris Herbert chrish@...

            Mercia Software Ltd.
            Mercia House
            Ashted Lock
            Aston Science Park
            Birmingham B7 4AZ, UK
            Registered Number: 1868855 (Cardiff)
            Tel: 44 (0)121 359 5096
            Fax: 44 (0)121 359 0375
            Web Site: http://www.mercia.com
          • Keith McColl
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 30, 2000
              easy chris - im talkin world peace

              ***GIMME A BULLET TO BITE ON SOMETHIN TO CHEW***
              Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
              company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
              attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
              recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
              inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
              e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

            • Øivind Idsø
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 30, 2000
                I guess this will qualify me as Scrooge or something, but still: I`m outta
                here. This list contains nothing but cheeky (or cheesy) one-liners these
                days (weeks/months) on topics that could very well have appeared in Melody
                Maker or Select or NME or whatever. And how that John Cale-thread could go
                on for days and days and days (and mails and mails and mails) is beyond me,
                as I think most people "got" whatever there was to get after the first
                couple of tongue-in-cheeks.

                Yes, yes: no one will miss me and all that, but if it´s any consolation: I
                won´t miss this list, either. To be on the safe side: ;)

                Keith McColl wrote:

                > easy chris - im talkin world peace

                [stuff deleted]

                /Øivind/
              • PT
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 30, 2000
                  Øivind Idsø wrote:

                  > I guess this will qualify me as Scrooge or something, but still: I`m outta here.

                  +++ please dont leave us !
                • Jawed Ashraf
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 30, 2000
                    >Any other gift-giving suggestions?

                    The new Charles Mingus biography sounds like the kind of present you'll buy a
                    second copy of so you can read it yourself...

                    Jawed
                  • simonsmith@readingchronicle.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
                      I don't think anyone said anything about 'favourite' music during commercials ... because obviously that would be Chicken Tonight.

                      Subject: [thewire] now i get the xmas joke
                      Author: MIME:bpinke@... at INTERNET
                      Date: 30/11/2000 13:23

                      I guess it was the shock of Cale's death and ressurrection that had me in shock, but at first, I thought you were all serious about your xmas music recommendations. But then I remembered that I'm not allowed to take anything at face value on this list (how 90's), and I'm pleased to announce that I've finally peeled back the layers of reference, satire, and irony, and my God! this is hilarious. Thanks for the laughs, guys, love the multiple recursive irony. You're piling it on thick.

                      PS I especially like the current subthread re: favorite music during commercials. For a minute, I thought you all really watch TV, the shaper of mass-taste. Good one...

                      -------------------------- eGroups Sponsor -------------------------~-~> eLerts
                      It's Easy. It's Fun. Best of All, it's Free! http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/1/_/473762/_/975590125/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------_->

                    • Jawed Ashraf
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
                        >===== Original Message From simonsmith@... =====
                        >I don't think anyone said anything about 'favourite' music during commercials
                        ... because obviously that would be Chicken Tonight.

                        *****YOU BASTARD***** NOW I'VE GOT THAT FUCKING TUNE RUNNING ROUND MY HEAD.
                        YOU UTTER CUNT.

                        BIRDY SONG - HA, TAKE THAT!

                        JAWED
                      • Jason Jay Stevens
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
                          Your criticism falls on deaf ears

                          don't slam the door

                          and don't send eMails like this to a list unless you want to spammed

                          On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, [iso-8859-1] Øivind Idsø wrote:

                          > I guess this will qualify me as Scrooge or something, but still: I`m outta
                          > here. This list contains nothing but cheeky (or cheesy) one-liners these
                          > days (weeks/months) on topics that could very well have appeared in Melody
                          > Maker or Select or NME or whatever. And how that John Cale-thread could go
                          > on for days and days and days (and mails and mails and mails) is beyond me,
                          > as I think most people "got" whatever there was to get after the first
                          > couple of tongue-in-cheeks.
                          >
                          > Yes, yes: no one will miss me and all that, but if it´s any consolation: I
                          > won´t miss this list, either. To be on the safe side: ;)
                          >
                          > Keith McColl wrote:
                          >
                          > > easy chris - im talkin world peace
                          > >

                          > [stuff deleted]
                          >
                          > /Øivind/