19899WRECK: Top of the Top of the Top of 2007

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Jan 25, 2008

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: Show 1001/2: Top of the Top of
      the Top of 2007
      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      14 & 21 January 2008

      [music acquired or (re)discovered in 2007; not necessarily a 2007 release]

      When I was young - I think I wasn't even 8 - I started following Top
      40-type lists on pop radio stations, I kept my own lists, listening
      intently, wanting to become American so bad and figuring the secret
      was buried inside pop songs somewhere, listening to the announcements
      of songs to hear what position they were in. Early on I already had
      trouble fathoming the relation between position and quality. This was
      a fundamental error: associating position in top 40 with quality.
      This became the beginning of my evolution into someone who became a
      champion of the underdog, of the B side, of the second single, of
      bands just as good as the ones getting all of the attention. In terms
      of taste or essential quality of song or group, there was no rhyme
      nor reason - What did i know about payola? - for why some crappy
      songs were in the Top 40 and others hit the bottom of the charts,
      never to go any higher or didn't even reach the charts. I used to
      collect the charts, slender slips of paper you could get at a variety
      of music and book type stores, of the WENY [Elmira, NY pop radio] Top
      of the Crop charts. I saved some of them, marked my faves and the
      ones I was allowed to record on a reel-to-reel tape my father gave me
      and recorded with a mike next to the radio and then marking the songs
      as I recorded them. [Here's one I could locate for July 13, 1969: 1.
      In the Year 2525 > Zager & Evans; 2. Spinning Wheel > Blood, Sweat &
      Tears; 3. Crystal Blue Persuasion > Tommy James & the Shondells; 4.
      Good Morning Starshine > Oliver; 5. Bad Moon Rising > Creedence
      Clearwater Revival; 6. What Does It Take > Jr. Walker & the Allstars;
      7. My Cherie Amour > Stevie Wonder; 8. One > Three Dog Night; 9. Love
      Theme > Henry Mancini; 10. Color Him Father > Winstons; 11.
      Israelites > Desmond Dekker; Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town >
      Kenny Rodgers; 13. Ballad of John & Yoko > [Beatles?] John Lennon &
      Yoko Ono // as you can see back then charts included 'anything and
      everything', in any case, a fairly broad variety of styles.

      My own top 40s back then and certainly now looked quite different
      from what the radio was spinning. The end of the year meant missing
      meals and arguing with my parents to let me listen as the radio
      stations counted down each year with me religiously [compulsively -
      what's the difference!] keeping up with the list countdown. This is
      part of the weird ritual of assessing the year on 31 December. Trying
      to make sense of it.

      My lists have become legendary (if only in my own mind). Before [the
      1960s] music came in a few formats: vinyl, tape, radio. Now I receive
      music in the form of LPs, singles, cassettes [yes, still!], CDs,
      MP3s, data files, MP3s attached to emails, downloads off internetŠ
      The final list order is not tight although the top 5 were pretty much
      my tops for the yearŠ

      It's been a good year for music that i received but we must wonder if
      music actually has a utilitarian function: does it calm the savage
      soul? Can music be a tool for some kind of peace, some kind of
      betterment of society on some level. I believe so. You go as
      muiscians to a territory undergoing strife and pain and you play and
      people become different beings almost instantly. The music is
      universal, you can jam with local musicians regardless of what side
      of the strife they are on and in fact, thru music the combatants
      quickly forget that they were fighting each other even WHY they were
      fighting if that was ever clear. That is what music can do better
      than politics. Get rid of the political/economic ambassadors and
      bring in the musicians...

      thanx to all of the labels and everyone who sent me music, the yodel
      mp3s, the great cds of oddities. Thanx to my radio colleagues in
      Paris: Black Sifichi and Laurent 1/2 Panou/Paonou, also thanx to Tony
      and Dave at WFMU, and the PTP Jonges van de Vlakte and too many
      others for making independent, uncommercial, non-hierarchic,
      anti-bureaucratic radio continue on both the airwaves and the
      internet as well as a sub-genre of literature.

      -----------> 14 January 2008

      In Full Bloom > Annea Lockwood [28]
      Virtu > Day Care Centre [35]
      Floating World 1 > Annea Lockwood [28]
      I'm Your Captain > Grand Funk Railroad [f]
      Floating World 2 > Annea Lockwood [28]
      + Rumba Tempo 3 > Rhythm 33 [20-yr-old rhythm maker machine]
      + Engels op Reis [language record]
      Grasshopper Rumba > Xavier Cugat & His Orchestra [30]
      Floating World 3 [exc] > Annea Lockwood [28]
      Atno3 > Heller [27]
      Pilgerfahrt > Stimmhorn [26]
      2093hz.1 > Heller [27]
      Propempticon > Jozef van Wissem [11]
      togglorch > Heller [27]
      Low Mass > Jozef van Wissem [11]
      togglorch > Heller [27]
      Grand Central Confessional > Jozef van Wissem [11]
      Deer Stop > Goldfrapp [14]
      Dress Up > Olivia Louvel [06]
      Ritualistic Kick Boxing Music 8 > Various anonymous Mauy Thai musicians [07]
      Aisha > Aisha Kandisha's Jarring Effects [17]
      Down Old Church Lane > Coachmen vs Septimania [20]
      The Guru Let Me Down > Um [34]
      Multin > Gipsy.cz [k]
      Polka Dot Com > Bertin [34]
      Gitane > Dalida [29]
      Eurasian Cynocephalus Birthdayparty > Cuta Kebab & Party [34]
      Runnin' Away > Sly & The Family Stone [23]
      Ritualistic Kick Boxing Music 1 > Various anonymous Mauy Thai musicians [07]
      The Art of Hearing > Daniel Steven Crafts [05]
      The Simple Way > Solomonoff & Von Hoffmanstahl [h]

      -----------> 21 January

      Vibration Ruling the Nation > Liquid Stranger [12]
      Blood on My Hands > Shackleton vs Ricado Villalobos [a]
      Dub Dub Save Me > Lump [09]
      Still Random OR Burial of Music > Rothkamm [16]
      Late Night Call > Emily Hay vs Marcos Fernandes [36]
      From Beyond > Klaus Nomi [21]
      True Romance at The World's Fair > Algebra Suicide [g]
      Return > Klaus Nomi [21]
      Adieu Schiller > Cyrill Schlaepfer [01]
      Transition no. 1 > Cyrill Schlaepfer [01]
      Schiller's > Cyrill Schlaepfer [01]
      Entomodub 1 Remix > Lena [02]
      Mary Long Tongue Version > Barrington Levy [n]
      Version > General Echo [n]
      Orbital Hora > Our Man from Odessa [19]
      Stepping Dub > The Revolutionaries [n]
      Periphery (Take Me There Mix) > Lena vs Black Sifichi [02]
      Welcome > International Observer [08]
      Hidjaz Ask > Up Bustle & Out vs Engin Aslan [04]
      Stilles Wasser > Cyrill Schlaepfer [01]
      Z Stukisch > Erika Stucky [03]
      Dog Yodel > Mike Johnson [I]
      All I Really Want To Do > Erika Stucky [03]
      They Call It Existential Monday > Mikhail Horowitz vs Gilles Malkine
      vs Lori Wilner [15]
      Lookin' Good Polka > Polkaholics [22]
      Punch > Antoine Berthiaume vs MaryClare Brzytwa [13]
      Transition no. 4 > Cyrill Schlaepfer [01]
      Giden Gitti > Up Bustle & Out [04]
      Chanting Version / Chanting > Jim Nastic vs C. Dodd [n]
      Hot Tip > Prince Django vs Lee Scratch Perry [n]
      Tequila Gang Bang > Our Man from Odessa [19]
      Anda Luz > Up Bustle & Out vs Benjamin Escoriza [04]
      Leviathans Traum > Cyrill Schlaepfer [01]

      -----------> Top Albums / full CDs

      [01] o Cyrill Schläpfer: Die Waldstätte (Lake Luzern) [Truetone /
      www.csr-records.ch] The secret audio lives of steamships and paddle
      steamers. Gargantuan project reminds me of the audio equivalent of
      Herzog's Fitzcarraldo film [4 CDs / 3 DVDs].
      [02] o Lena featuring Black Sifichi: The Uncertain Trail [Sounds
      Around / www.soundsaround.net] Psycho-active and psycho-geographical
      electro-dub journeys to the end of this flat earth.
      [03] o Erika Stucky: Suicidal Yodels [Traumton / www.traumton.de]
      Yodeling meets the next generation of creative, inventive pop. [see
      my website for more on her].
      [04] o Up Bustle & Out: Istanbul's Secrets [Collision /
      www.echobeach.de] Musicological collisions in a trippy setting.
      [05] o Daniel Steven Crafts: Soap Opera Suite / Snake Oil Symphony
      [Lutra, 1982] This long lost resource is an inspired LP of artistic
      sampling as well as one of the essential sampling resource discs for
      DJs. Great to have it back. Thanks Tony.
      [06] o Olivia Louvel: Lulu in Suspension [Optical Sound /
      www.optical-sound.com] Little Annie Anxiety fronting Portishead?
      [07] o Mauy Thai: Ritualistic Kick Boxing Music [SP Bangkok] Before a
      Thai kick-boxing fight, the boxers perform a ritualistic form of
      prayer. Thanks Nina.
      [08] o International Observer: Heard [Dubmission /
      dubmission@...] Roots Dub jump-started for a spectacular
      voltage boost.
      [09] o Lump: Dub [Future]. Thanx Kirk. Future MRI MIA style dub.
      [10] o If, Bwana & Al Margolis: An Innocent, Abroad [Pogus /
      www.pogus.com]. The enchanting Lorelei go on tour to cause midtown
      traffic crisis.
      [11] o Jozef van Wissem: Stations of the Cross [ncunabulum /
      www.jozefvanwissem.com] Plunging into the ancient to emerge in a
      post-modern antiseptic controlled-environment airport soundscape.
      Time travel without all the hassle of packing your bags.
      [12] o Liquid Stranger: The Invisible Conquest [Interchill Records]
      Chillout dub at its best. Thanx Kirk.
      [13] o Antoine Berthiaume & MaryClare Brzytwa: Bebe Donkey [Ambiences
      Magnetiques / www.actuellecd.com] amazingly cool without for a moment
      acting it or probably having the right haircut.
      [14] o Goldfrapp: Felt Mountain [Mute / www.mute.com] From 2000,
      Tremendously atmospheric record.
      [15] o Mikhail Horowitz & Gilles Malkine: Poor, On Tour & Over 54 [No
      Help Here / horowitz@...] Intellectual punnery and downright
      bold funnery.
      [16] o Frank Rothkamm: LAX [Flux Records [www.rothkamm.com] Sounding
      like it was the long lost soundtrack to Brazil the movie and as if it
      has been produced in a dusty particle accelerator filled with Gummi
      Bears.
      [17] o Aisha Kandisha's Jarring Effects: El Buya [Barbarity/RecRec]
      Yes, this is from the mid-1990s but I just found it again after
      playing it to death on my WFMU show back then. Moroccan industrial
      dub.
      [18] o Various Artists: Superbad: The Very Best of Blaxploitation
      [Warner / www.warnerdance.com] pseudo-hip post-Tarantino youth like
      to embrace this but despite that, there's a lot of great stuff on
      this.
      [19] o OMFO: We Are the Shepherds [Essay / www.essayrecordings.com]
      Wacked hipness with faulty vodka.
      [20] o Coachmen vs Septimania: The Coahmen on Holiday in Septimania
      [Commodify This / http://jdkingillustration.com] Basement Tapes
      mangled in a leaky dungeon with the so-called brothers of the Shaggs.
      [21] o Klaus Nomi: Simple Man [RCA] Operatic punk-drag glam at its
      best. First famous person to die of AIDS.
      [22] o Polkaholics: Polka über Alles [Polkaholics /
      www.thepolkaholics.com] The link between polka and punk has never
      been more obvious - the sound, the clothes, the speedŠ
      [23] o Sly & the Family Stone: There's a Riot Goin' On [Epic Legacy /
      www.slystonemusic.com] Difficult, elusive and cool: the confluence of
      hippie and funk, peace and drugs, danceable beats and Š
      [24] o Alan Bishop & Mark Gergis: Radio Thailand: Transmissions from
      the Tropical Kingdom [SF] Thanks Rene van Peer. Sun City girls go
      crazy collecting several thousand hours of music and sounds in
      Thailand.
      [25] o Vladislav Delay: Multila [Efa Imports] Atmospheric glitch with
      textural extrapolations, venturing into ambient spectral waves of
      suspicious geographic emotion.
      [26] o Various Artists: Heimatklänge [Traumton / www.traumton.de]
      Read my review of the movie. Online.
      [27] o Heller: .01..05 [Optical Sound / www.optical-sound.com] Blip
      Blip - learn the language people.
      [28] o Annea Lockwood: Thousand Year Dreaming / Floating World [Pogus
      / www.pogus.com]. The sound of gravitational pull, of floating
      objects, of thoughts scraping along unnamed film noir topographies.
      [29] o Dalida: Bambino [Membran & SVM / www.membran.com]. Tragic
      chanteuse flung herself out of a Montmartre apartment window.
      [30] o Xavier Cugat and his Orchestra: Cugi's Cocktails [Mercury]
      With a 60-year difference, he married Charo, the Pamela Anderson of
      her dayŠ
      [31] o Joanna Newsom: Ys [Drag City] Weird Dylan Thomas meets Yeats
      Middle Earth hippie stuff and there is her enchanting harp.
      [32] o Air: Moon Safari [Source] Better than hip.
      [33] o Visit Venus: Music for Tourism vol. 1 [Yo Mama's] This dates
      from 1995. Thanx Kirk.
      [34] o Various Artists: This is WORM Station [WORM /
      www.wormstation.nl] Rotterdam meets the world inside out.
      [35] o Day Care Centre: A Jumpin' Jackpot of Melody [Czecher /
      thedaycarecentre@...]
      [36] o Emily Hay vs Marcos Fernandes: We Are [Public Eyesore /
      www.publiceyesore.com]

      -----------> Singles
      [a] o Shackleton: Blood On My Hands (Ricardo Villalobos Apocalypso
      Now Mix) [Soundboy Punishments / Skull Disco] amazing piece of
      hypnotic dark dubstep.
      [b] o Matt Rogalsky: Sprawl (Western Magnetics) [Memory Like Water /
      XI] 24-minute masterpiece.
      [c] o Erika Stucky: All I Really Want To Do (Dylan) [Suicidal Yodels
      / Traumton] great yodeling take on a Dylan song where he actually
      attempts a cracked yodel himself.
      [d] o Gwen Stefani: Wind It Up [The Sweet Escape / Interscope] Much
      better than people are willing to admit especially the video. And
      there is great recycled literary-allusional yodeling. Smart.
      [e] o Black Sifichi with Scotty Ross & Strings of Consciousness:
      Midnight Moonbeams [outtake] Prefer this mix to the one on the
      Strings album.
      [f] o Grand Funk Railroad: I'm Your Captain [Capitol /
      www.grandfunkrailroad.com] The first ambient rock record complete
      with birds and the feeling of spaciousness induced by correct drug
      use.
      [g] o Algebra Suicide: True Romance at the World's Fair [Buzzerama /
      www.myspace.com/algebrasuicide] RIP Lydia, September 2007. Great
      underground single. Lydia Lunch with a smile.
      [h] o Solomonoff & Von Hoffmanstahl: The Simple Way [The Simple Way /
      editor@...] Were the only band I ever saw that could outdo
      the dissonance and errant noise that NY shoves into your soul. Like
      all good revolutionaries, they cleansed your soul and made sure that
      people got home on time.
      [i] o Dog Yodel: Mike Johnson [Yodeling 40 years / Roughshod
      http://hometown.aol.com/blackyodelno1/] This yodel connects the human
      spirit to the fauna voice. Great piece of anthropological madness.
      [j] o Defrost Oven Lisa Smith Klossner vs Strings of Consciousness
      [Central Control]
      [k] o Gipsy.cz: Multin [Romano Hip Hop / Indies Scope /
      www.indiesrec.cz] Wanted to like the entire cd but of 15 trax, 4 were
      ok, and this one is excellent.
      [l]o Sophie Tucker: There's Something Spanish In My Eyes [taken from
      Willem Breuker's homage to Tucker for which I did the transcription
      of the lyrics]
      [m] o Anouk: Hi Hello, Hi Hello [Automatik Kalamity / Virgin France]
      She is a really good strong Dutch pop singer somewhere between Janis
      Joplin, Joni Mitchell and Alanis Morrisette.
      [n] o Various Reggae singles. Purchased original label singles from
      1970s. Treasure chest.

      -----------> Lifetime Achievement Awards:
      o Musicworks [cds 1-99] Canadian dedication to inventive sound.
      o DrDr Jazz who has turned the ukulele into a tool of terror. No
      wonder Michigan unemployment is the highest in the nation and GM has
      fled overseas.
      o Various: Big Mag #1 & 2 [de Player] A magazine with vinyl and an
      underground strategy for creative survival.

      # I'm up to 404 shows on Patapoe. Will now go with the TOTAL number
      of WTM radio shows at WFMU, Radio Libertaire, Radio 100 and - still
      going strong - Radio Patapoe

      # These are still lots of playlists in the works ptp 376/973 [Father
      Show], ptp396/993 through ptp402/1000. Wanted to do something special
      for the 1000 anniversary radio show butŠ it passed me right by. Just
      weirdly enough did a Goggle search on one of my all time faves Lizzy
      Mercier Descloux, who in her punk funk Ze Records [1980] was the
      coolest dame in the world [hey, I was 24, new to NY, and she had a
      great French accent, great messy hair, attitude and poetry and the
      hottest music going], anyway I see that she died of cancer in 2004.
      How did I miss this for 4 years?! Back in 2001 I was trying to
      contact her to do an interview-article on her but true to form she
      was basically unreachable. Almost all WTM shows are archived and
      played randomly in off hours when the station is on autopilot

      OTHER PATAPOE SHOWS:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop in a seance with reflection WAS on Radio Patapoe on
      Sundays 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o C2000: Whatever Whenever or aka yo momma, electropulp metal, we
      hate hippies, hardcore jumpstylemetal, hiphopmetal,
      punk-industrialmetal and meta-metal Mondays 20.30-22.30

      o Psycehdelicatessen: obscure underground progressivica Sunday 20-24.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen /kid /children /rugrats and other
      visionaries. Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o No8ody: unformated*core, vr/ijly/stile*maz*up*zumbi*drones Saturdays 14-16.

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o H=Bass: Klas-zeike Herrie [classic-sickness noise] Sunday 14-17

      o Gelul met Krul: Bullshitting on the radio with intriguing guests
      Saturday 20-22

      o Stront [Shit]: noise, lo-fi experimenting Wednesday 18-22

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      <http://www.wtm-paris.com>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK
      CHECK THE ALL [now not all that] NEW WTM/bart WEBSITE
      with profiles, yodeling, john cage, allen ginsberg, beer mysticism,
      reviews, playlists, fiction, links, heimatklange, ocean grove nj,
      www.bartplantenga.com