19789Wreck Joyless Division

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Aug 21, 2007

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 379 [976*]: Wreck Joy Division
      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      2 Juli 2007 // 17.00-19.00

      "life as it touches perfection / but hurts like anything else"
      o Ian Curtis, "Isolation"

      "A clique of U.S. industrialists is hell-bent to bring a fascist
      state to supplant our democratic government
      and is working closely with the fascist regime in Germany and ItalyŠ"
      o William Dodd, US Ambassador to Germany, 1936

      Auto-Suggestion > Joy Division [1]
      Atmosphere > Nau Ensemble [2]
      Disorder > Joy Division [3]
      Heart & Soul > Joy Division [4]
      Candidate > Joy Division [3]
      Transmission > Joy Division [1]
      Atmosphere > Joy Division [1]
      The Eternal > Joy Division [4]
      The Eternal > Nau Ensemble [2]
      Plateau > Susumu Yokota [5]
      + American Prayer 1-4 > Jim Morrison [6]
      Secret Garden > Susumu Yokota [5]
      New Dawn Fades > Joy Division [3]
      I Can't See Your Face in My Mind > Doors [7]
      Decades > Joy Division [4]
      Decades > Nau Ensemble [2]
      Wishful Sinful > Doors [8]
      Komakino > Joy Division [1]
      Ceremony > New Order [9]
      Denial > New Order [10]
      Everything's Gone Green > New Order [11]
      Lux Aeterna > Nau Ensemble [2]
      Temptation > New Order [11]
      Love Will Tear Us Apart > Joy Division [1]
      Love Will Tear Us Apart > The Swans [12]
      Love Will Tear Us Apart > Nouvelle Vague [13]

      [1] "Substance" on Qwest/Factory 1988. Reissue and outtakes. It shows
      strength of composition but also the magic of the Martin Hannett
      production of the issued versions.

      [2] "The Eternal: Variations On Joy Division" on Elektra/WEA, 1999.
      Composer and Conductor: Hans Ek leads Nau Ensemble & Coro di Belini
      to a surprising interpretation that should please new classical and
      goth fans both. Sounding modern and yet very gothic, very medieval
      almost. Not muzak and not terribly po-mo like the Kronos Quartet. Not
      covers but interpretations. Curtis actually seems to have a Gregorian
      chant aspect to his voice. And it accents the magnificence of some of
      their compositions. Liner notes: "The album is more of a free fantasy
      based on the mood of Joy Division's music. The feeling is one of
      swimming in a calm beautiful ocean, yet there is the clear
      realization of a very strong untertow..."

      [3] "Unknown Pleasures" on Factory vinyl, Factus 1. I bought into the
      hype of the anti-hype of Factory Records mysterious withholding of
      almost ALL [ir]relevant info regarding liner notes and details and
      info - the strategy of Peter Saville. It smelled of something like a
      stance, taking a stand against the Brit propensity to over-hype and
      anti-hype became a style of hype. The greatness of some of the music
      aside.

      [4] "Closer" on Factory vinyl.

      [5] "The Boy & the Tree" on his own Skintone label. I threw this
      beautiful piece in as mood enhancer. No real direct relation. Great
      music however. Thanks Black Sifichi for turning me on to this.

      [6] "American Prayer" on. Ian Curtis was the Jim Morrison of the
      late-70s. Come on, llisten to them next to each other and it is
      obvious that Ian listened to plenty of Morrison growing up. Even the
      Romantic Byronic lyrics resemble some of Morrison's.

      [7] "Strange Days" on Elektra vinyl, 1967. 40 years ago!!!

      [8] "The Soft Parade" Elektra vinyl, 1969. This is one of those
      records that turned me on to [rock] poetry.

      [9] "Ceremony" on Factory 45. Where we think we are hearing Ian
      Curtis - it is written by JD - singing 'inside of me' or is he really
      alluding like Van Morrison on a live album to 'sodomy'?

      [10] "Movement" on Factory, Factus 50, vinyl, 1981.

      [11] "Substance 1987" on Qwest vinyl. Dringdingdingding. That
      wondrous hypnotic guitar that defined joyous amnesia.

      [12] "Various Failures" on Young Gods Records. Gloom sounding mighty sexy.

      [13] "Nouvelle Vague" on Peacefrog. One of my fave records of a year
      or 2 ago. Wonderful, not silly, affecting interpretations of punk and
      new wave classics. It both shows that there was some real song craft
      in that period but also sometimes shows how over-wrought and silly
      the lyrics were.

      o There was a period in the early 1980s when things were turbulent in
      matters of the heart and I was wallowing in deep emotions of grief at
      breaking up with the girl friend I had come to NY with from Ann
      Arbor. [This is a common affliction actually - yeah, heartbreak, but
      also a couple who have been together for some time in a smaller place
      where one's interests also tend to coalesce because of limited
      opportunities to explore difference. Then they come to NY to make it,
      or do something with their lives only to have the extremes of NY
      drive a huge wedge of difference between them and eventual happiness.

      o My novel Beer Mystic, now making early rounds of getting pushed
      into publication [4th concerted effort] I recount how in times of
      grief, of loss, of pain, heartbreak, blabla I often turned to singing
      along with Joy Division's "LoveŠ" but also "Sweetest Girl" by Scritti
      Polliti, but also Neil Young and Dylan's "Positively 4th Street",
      among others. This stereo turned up pre-karaoke was to fortify me and
      prevent more drastic expressions of Byronic tragic figure Young
      Werther woe-is-me anguish and misery. Curtis went the way of Morrison
      who went the way of many of the young poets from the Romantic eraŠ

      o More than the Clash or Sex Pistols, JD managed to combine that
      Romantic poet sense of world-weary tragedy with heightened
      sexual/emotional feelings but also managed to combine precious lyrics
      and emotions with an aggressive and cantankerous sound.

      o The movie "24-Hour Party People" showed an Ian Curtis I probably
      did not want to see. The guy was just a bad-nutritioned selfish
      bastard with some hidden [until JD] deeper emotions. He seemed glum,
      self-absorbed, humorless, petulant, and nothing like I would have
      liked. But anyway, I present this because Tony Wilson just died
      although NOT prior to this show - but anyway, rarely has such a
      peripheral non musical person and unsuccessful businessman become so
      lionized and honored. He was the real Romantic and his tragedy was
      the failure of his enthusiasm and idealism to be converted into
      business success but bands like JD et al. Probably owe a lot to him
      for their eventual rise to fame. And then there is the new, very
      highly lauded film by Dutch photographer Anton Corbijn called
      "Control" about the life of Ian Curtis. Poems/lyrics/novels - escape
      from Manchester and a teen marriage. Escape from dour landscape of
      post-industrial malaiseŠ

      o The lag time of straight culture / normal people has certainly
      shortened between inventive artists' work and their general
      acceptance. It used to take centuries for tastes and ideas to be
      accepted as something not dangerous or heretical. But it is amazing
      that the early 1980's post-punk, disco-noise is NOW only being
      reassessed and truly appreciated by a broader audience. This is
      certainly true of JD. There are some 100 cover versions of "Love"
      plus an incredible list of cover versions of the rest of their songs
      as well.

      o Both Joy Division [named after the cynical and nefarious Nazi dept.
      that used concentration camp prisoners as prostitutes] and New Order
      [the Third Reich but synchronistically also alluded to by Bush I, and
      his New World Order, himself the offspring of an American Nazi], not
      unlike the Dead Kennedys, had notorious names that were used for
      shock value and some people's attempts to link them with neo-Nazi
      sympathies were just engaging in a bit of shock journalism
      themselves. I think deep down it referred to a gut-feeling of immense
      disappointment in the hypocrisy of the 'adult' world. But never
      explicitly.

      o Why is this not a HUGE story in international media?

      Bush's Grandfather Planned Fascist Coup In America: BBC, Tuesday, July 24, 2007

      New investigation sheds light on clique of powerbrokers, including
      Prescott Bush, who sought to overthrow U.S. government and implement
      Hitlerian policies

      A BBC Radio 4 investigation sheds new light on a major subject that
      has received little historical attention, the conspiracy on behalf of
      a group of influential powerbrokers, led by Prescott Bush, to
      overthrow FDR and implement a fascist dictatorship in the U.S. based
      around the ideology of Mussolini and Hitler.

      In 1933, Marine Corps Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler was approached by a
      wealthy and secretive group of industrialists and bankers, including
      Prescott Bush the current president's grandfather, who asked him to
      command a 500,000 strong rogue army of veterans that would help stage
      a coup to topple then President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. According
      to the BBC, the plotters intended to impose a fascist takeover and
      "Adopt the policies of Hitler and Mussolini to beat the great
      depression." The conspirators were operating under the umbrella of a
      front group called the American Liberty League, which included many
      families that are still household names today, including Heinz,
      Colgate, Birds Eye and General Motors.

      Butler played along with the clique to determine who was involved but
      later blew the whistle and identified the ringleaders in testimony
      given to the House Committee on un-American Activities. However, the
      Committee refused to even question any of the individuals named by
      Butler and his testimony was omitted from the record, leading to
      charges that they were involved in covering the matter up, and the
      majority of the media blackballed the story. General Smedley Butler,
      author of the famous quote "war is a racket", exposed the fascist
      plotters but was subsequently demonized and shunned by the government
      and the media.

      In 1936, William Dodd, the U.S. Ambassador to Germany, wrote a letter
      to President Roosevelt in which he stated, "A clique of U.S.
      industrialists is hell-bent to bring a fascist state to supplant our
      democratic government and is working closely with the fascist regime
      in Germany and Italy. I have had plenty of opportunity in my post in
      Berlin to witness how close some of our American ruling families are
      to the Nazi regime. ... A prominent executive of one of the largest
      corporations, told me point blank that he would be ready to take
      definite action to bring fascism into America if President Roosevelt
      continued his progressive policies. Certain American industrialists
      had a great deal to do with bringing fascist regimes into being in
      both Germany and Italy. They extended aid to help Fascism occupy the
      seat of power, and they are helping to keep it there. Propagandists
      for fascist groups try to dismiss the fascist scare. We should be
      aware of the symptoms. When industrialists ignore laws designed for
      social and economic progress they will seek recourse to a fascist
      state when the institutions of our government compel them to comply
      with the provisions."

      The proven record of Prescott Bush's involvement in financing the
      Nazi war machine dovetails with the fact that he was part of a
      criminal cabal that actively sought to impose a fascist coup in
      America. Prescott did not succeed but many would argue that two
      generations down the line the mission has all but been accomplished.
      Click here to listen to the BBC Radio 4 investigation (6 min).
      http://www.prisonplanet.com/audio/240707_bbc_prescott_coup.mp3

      * This big total is the TOTAL number of ca. Shows I have done since
      the beginning of time or 20 years ago at WFMU [NY], Radio Libertaire
      [Paris], and Radio 100 & Radio Patapoe [Amsterdam].

      OTHER PATAPOE SHOWS:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Solus: Minimal electro techno acid french hiphop / Thursdays 22.00
      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays
      18.00-20.00.

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen /kid /children /rugrats and other
      visionaries. Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      <http://www.wtm-paris.com>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>