19697Wreck: Winter Spring & Memory

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    May 6, 2007

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 367 [964*]: Last of Winter -
      Hell, it's been Spring for 2 months now!

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      19 maart 2007 // 17.00-19.00

      [see Amsterdam Literary Festival reading announcement below]

      Winter's Edge > Rapoon [1]
      Banging Holes in Ice > Peter Cusak [2]
      Sequestration des Breuvages > Melanie Auclair [3]
      To You, My Dearest > Pure Sound [4]
      Floating Icicles Rocked by Waves > Peter Cusak [2]
      Guardians > Peter Cusak [2]
      Le Centre du Cercle > Melanie Auclair [3]
      Port Baikal Weird > Peter Cusak [2]
      Ferry Mores at Jetty > Peter Cusak [2]
      Coal Fired Generator > Peter Cusak [2]
      Mon Cerf Volant > Melanie Auclair [3]
      Happy Birthday from Texas > Pure Sound [4]
      Herring Gull Shot > Peter Cusak [2]
      Dream Alarm > Melanie Auclair [3]
      Roar Over Ice > Peter Cusak [2]
      La Brouette > Melanie Auclair [3]
      Begin to Understand > Pure Sound [4]
      Winter Echo > Curd Duca [5]
      Icebreaker > Douglas Henderson [6]
      Semi Colon > Pure Sound [4]
      Open Mind > Normally Visible [7]
      Highway One #1 > Mystic Moods Orchestra [8]
      Air is Statik > Polar [9]
      The Men Who Don't Fit In [Service] > Pure Sound [4]
      Open Mind > Normally Visible [7]
      Highway One #2 > Mystic Moods Orchestra [8]
      Brought With The Rain > Bert Jansch [10]
      Transport > Hazard [11]
      Chilling > Mimetic Mute [12]
      Highway One #3 > Mystic Moods Orchestra [8]
      Rainy Day Stan Getz [13]
      My Mother's Grave, A Tree > Pure Sound [4]
      Baltic Sea > EAM [14]
      Highway One #4 > Mystic Moods Orchestra [8]
      Norway > R. Stevie Moore & Yukio Yung [15]
      Wänns Winteret > Doppelbock [16]
      The Legend of Sam Magee [Service] > Pure Sound [4]
      Hypnordic > Wild Shores [17]
      Thule Ultima > Wild Shores [18]
      Highway One #5 > Mystic Moods Orchestra [8]

      [1] "Darker by Light" on Soleilmoon/Staalplaat. Great meditative loops.
      [2] "Baikal Ice (Spring 2003)" on ReR <www. Rermegacorp.com>. Peter
      Cusak who earlier produced the excellent "Your Favourite London
      Sounds" has packed up his bags and journeyed on up to Siberia to
      record what he had heard about, the "mysterious ice sounds" heard in
      autumn and spring. He went in 2003 and yes recorded the sounds of ice
      moving, slipping, melting, dripping, shifting, moaningŠ. I always
      admire these kinds of projects and my headphones go off to these 21st
      century "sound catchers". With respect for Dallas Simpson, Hildegard
      Westerkamp, Paul Panhuysen, Staalplaat, Justin Bennett, Mike Cooper,
      Leif Elggren, Chris Dooks, David Toop, and all the restŠ [see Wreck
      Top 30 Below]
      [3] "Décor Sonore" on Ambiances Magnetique <www.actuellecd.com>.
      [4] "Yukon" on Euphonium <www.euphonium.com>. Strange meeting of
      noise, electronica and Robert Service poems.
      [5] "Easy Listening" on Normal. It is cold in a lounge where all the
      drinks have to be exposed to music before you can drink them. Where
      are you Curd Duca?
      [6] "Resonance Supplement: Sound Art" on LMC. You can feel the
      confluence of sonic abstraction and the winter landscape. They are 2
      legitimations of the same spiritual state.
      [7] "Always Ultra With Wings" on Staalplaat. Strange dodgy sonic crop
      circles and wandering through endless hedged labyrinths.
      [8] "Highway One" on Warner Brothers vinyl 1972. One of the weirdest
      easy-listenign records of all time. Pure attempt at 70s program music
      where the compositions are supposed to evoke landscapes and people's
      movements through them.
      [9] "37 Degrees and Falling" on Certificate 18. Pole influenced glitch dance.
      [10] "Moonshine" great LP by a great voice from 60s-70s rockish folk revival.
      [11] "North" on Ash International. Electronic blizzard.
      [12] "Negative" on Lytch. Exploratory and cold.
      [13] "Getz Au Go Go" on Verve vinyl, 1964. Not cold. One of the
      paradigmatic sounds of the 60s and the rainy day becomes reality in
      your contemplative organs.
      [14] "EAM: Electronic-Acoustic-Meeting" on EAM. Fusion of yodeling
      that communes both with the bucolic surroundings and electronica.
      [15] "Objectivity" on JAR Music. The Brian Wilson of Central Jersey,
      wittier than Elvis Costello and melodic as XTC. This has nothing to
      do with Norway and more to do with Lou Reed's Alaska.
      [16] "Alpine Music: Made in Switzerland" on Suisa / Pro Helvetia. The
      Swiss have a tender, conflicting, ironic and uncomfortable and yet
      dynamic take on the tradition [yodel & alphorn] vs new [electronica,
      abstract] battle.
      [17] ""Awan~Siguawini~Spemki on Alsace/Quebec/CEAAC
      <international@...> <www.ceaac.org>. Beautiful production in
      the minimalist-north tradition of Biosphere where the abstract
      electronic compositions and audio speculations seem to mirror or
      comment upon the magnificently sparse topography of the cold north.
      This is a companion to various Touch Records projects and also Hector
      Zazou's excellent compilation "Songs from the Cold Seas". This is the
      audio result of a cross-cultural Alsace/Quebec residency by Pierre
      Belouin in Lac-Saint-Jean in Quebec. The title is native Abinaki for
      'Air / Spring / Paradise'. Using audio denominators from the
      surroundings that consist of house, forest, lake, factory we get an
      expressionistic portrait of the region. The accompanying booklet
      offers some explanation and some photos of the snapshot sort that
      offer a kind of forsaken portrait of the region. There is a journal
      of PB's observations but that is only in French. I don't know if this
      is just tapping into a drift or tendency but psycho-geographic
      ambient is back in a big way and better than ever, and this like many
      others of similar vintage seem to set out to connect man with his/her
      surroundings, trying to create a more spiritual or at least
      conscientious portrait of our surroundings that borders on the
      meditational. Since neither video nor informational media have done
      much to contribute to a paradigm shift in our relation/understanding
      of our environment it is up to the abstract ethnomusicologists,
      sounders, sound walkers and ambient found-sound composers to nudge
      this shift along into being. This audio portrait of a region is
      different than photography and video in that it is undogmatic and
      fluid. The CD and project are related to works by Hildegaard
      Westerkamp, Gabriele Proy, J.L. Drever, Justin Bennett, Peter Cusak,
      Dallas Simpson and many moreŠ sounds from our environment that evoke
      travel or place, weather and interaction. Recommended.
      [18] "Instant Music" on Taktic Music. Already 10 years old this is a
      great cd of post-Zoviet France music by the artist's collective from
      Limoges.

      bart plantenga
      'Weird Stories About Yodeling'
      as part of the Amsterdam Literary Festival
      17 May Thursday
      8 PM

      + 50 audio samples of yodeling from around the world

      Perdu
      Kloveniersburgwal 86
      1012 CZ Amsterdam
      Tel: 020 - 627 6295
      Email: perdu@...
      Perdu.nl

      Reading with
      John Hegley: Uncut Confetti - Performance Comic-Poetry

      One of Britain's most innovative comic poets ñ and a regular sell-out
      at The Edinburgh Festival. His first notable media exposure was in
      1983/84 with The Popticians who appeared on the John Peel Sessions
      (BBC Radio One), performing songs about spectacles and the misery of
      human existence.

      Uncut Confetti: A Loose Collection of Celebratory Pieces
      Published to coincide with the release of a John Hegley CD, and yet
      another sell-out tour of the British Isles, Uncut Confetti is a
      stunning volume of new work ñ from the funny to the sad, the personal
      to the philosophical ñ by one of Britain's best-loved and
      best-selling writers.

      Also appearing tonight is bart plantenga, Amsterdam-based radio DJ,
      musicologist and author of Yodel-Ay-Ee-Oooo: The Secret History of
      Yodeling Around the World, who presents some weird yodeling stories
      and samples of yodeling from around the world and will perhaps have a
      special guest yodeler giving a live performance. The book, which has
      received critical acclaim and coverage in the Washington Post, Vanity
      Fair, Rolling Stone, the Guardian, Volkskrant, VPRO, the Wire and the
      BBC, explores the origins of yodelling in Africa and Switzerland and
      explores it's many serious, ritualistic, but also amusing uses around
      the world. In a highly entertaining style, Plantenga also details its
      use and development in American country music, the Nazi Youth,
      Bollywood and by pop stars such as Gillian Welch, De La Soul and Sly
      & Family Stone, as well as exploring New Guinean and West African
      Pygmy yodeling. Plantenga is also a fiction author of numerous
      published books including Spermatagonia: The Isle of Man and Wiggling
      Wishbone: Stories of Pata-Sexual Speculation and writes for numerous
      music, pop and culture journals. His CD compilation Rough Guide to
      Yodel appeared in November 2006. He has been a DJ for 20 years now
      and continues at Amsterdam's only remaining pirate radio station,
      Radio Patapoe, with his programme Wreck This Mess.

      o It is interesting that in various countries [maybe most], the news
      media [papers, radio, TV] don't report on suicides. Certainly if they
      do it is only the most intriguing or unavoidably public ones. This is
      partly to do with a wisdom that says if you begin to report ALL of
      the [supposedly] too many suicides, more people will copycat that and
      follow suit. This is NOT a good advertisement for the societies we
      live in - that suicide can only be held back by denying that they
      happenŠ

      o Amazing to think back to that sloggy period of low grey skies only
      6 or so weeks ago - the end of winter. It happened so suddenly that
      for a while everyone was talking about the weather here. It went from
      cold to hot. No real spring. Suddenly early April people were
      basically sunbathing naked in the Vondelpark. Quite a sight. Thank
      industry for global warming. Can tanning salons sue industries that
      cause global warming for a fall in revenuesŠ Amazingly enough, on the
      most beautiful day you will see people ducking into the beauty salon.
      You just want to ask them what is going on in their heads. You
      realize then that these types of people were put on this earth to
      baffle you so that you remain somewhat ill-at-ease knowing how things
      are put together thus maintaining a certain vestige of humility.
      Anyway, the weather has never been worse I hear on the East Coast of
      America and never been better in the history of measuring weather in
      NL. Six weeks of unadulterated blue skies, sun, and mid-70sF and
      mid-20C temps. Intoxicating to say the least. Difficult to work
      inside behind a computer. Luckily I was editing a ms on paper and
      could take that outside in the sun. Tanning and proofreading. Luckily
      writing also carries over well into the outdoors. The funny thing is
      in NL people never dare venture anything positive about the weather
      for fear of being disappointed and unpleasantly surprised. When you
      ask: is the weather going to be as nice tomorrow as it is today?'
      People will seldom venture anything more bold than: 'I hope so'.
      Until now.

      o No radio show for 3 weeks in April while my mom was here plus i had
      trouble getting into studio one week cuz someone had tried to break
      down the door. all seems ok however. My mom is 83 and when we walked
      thru her old neighborhood in Amsterdam, she had such vivid memories
      of the War and a bomb that plowed through the roof of a neighbor's
      house. A bomb that hit a barge carrying sand in the canal behind
      their house, spraying sand throughout the house. The Nazi
      sympathizers down the street and how the hood divided up during the
      war between anti and pro Nazis leading to lots of brawls and shouting
      matches and ultimately more tragic things like ratting out resistance
      types, some assassinations. She happened to be here right about the
      time of the remembrances when Amsterdam was liberated by the
      Canadians. So my mom's memories were apropos. I realize now that the
      only real presents you can buy an old lady is items [books and such]
      that bring back mnemonic films of the past and hope that she will
      share those films with you in the hope that you will discover
      something essential. During a visit from my aunt and uncle who live
      just outside Amsterdam, my uncle [my father's bro], told me how my
      father built his own pin-hole camera and secretly took fotos of
      things happening on the streets of Amsterdam! My mom also told me how
      her father tried to help Jews and how a local baker would shovel
      flour out of bags destined to be baked as bread for Nazis. He stored
      this clandestinely and later would bake bread for the neighbor's like
      my mom's family. She also told me that her father helped Jews evade
      arrestŠ

      o As you can see I am still struggling to get up to date with these
      playlists. Amcurrently busy learning new great sound software, Sound
      Studio as I attempt to do my first hr-long sound collage for public
      radio VPRO on the theme of Morosophy or esoteric and highly personal
      world views and belief systems that seem on the edge of psychotic
      hallucination and thus seem - ironically enough - almost totally
      believableŠ Look for announcements of its broadcast.

      OTHER PATAPOE SHOWS:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Solus: Minimal electro techno acid french hiphop / Thursdays 22.00
      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays
      18.00-20.00.

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen /kid /children /rugrats and other
      visionaries. Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~

      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4 hosted by
      Laurent Diouf 1/2 PanouPanou on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30 check
      <http://www.wtm-paris.com>
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric radio check <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Dina Appeldoornstraat 11-3
      1076 AX Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>