19350Wreck London burning calling primping

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Apr 3, 2006

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: 326: London Burning Calling Primping

      PTP in the ether: 88.3FM
      Where purity & puerility are synonymous
      streaming via internet:
      <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      27 Februari 2006 / 17.00-19.00

      London! the needy villain's general home, The common sewer of Paris
      and of Rome!
      With eager thirst, by folly or by fate, Sucks in the dregs of each
      corrupted state.
      Samuel Johnson

      "London society is full of women of the very highest birth who have,
      of their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years."
      Oscar Wilde
      ~~~~~~

      Big Ben > London Sounds [1]
      Art of Radio 1 > Resonance FM [2]
      London Bridge Station > London Sounds [1]
      La Radio, ça Détend > Elsa Justel [3]
      Brixton Station > London Sounds [1]
      2001 Love Part 1 > Dub Syndicate vs Allen Ginsberg [4]
      Mind the Gap Bank Underground Station > London Sounds [1]
      2001 Love Part 2 > Dub Syndicate vs Allen Ginsberg [4]
      Brick Lane > London Sounds [1]
      Christopher Robin at Buckingham Palace > Petula Clark [5]
      Dalston Market > London Sounds [1]
      Let's All Make Love in London > Allen Ginsberg [6]
      Deptford Market > London Sounds [1]
      Art of Radio 8 > Resonance FM [2]
      Art of Radio 9 > Resonance FM [2]
      "A" Bomb in Wardour Street > the Jam [7]
      Jarman's Garden > Sherre DeLys [3]
      Deptford Grid Electricity Sub-Station > London Sounds [1]
      Helpless Dancer > the Who [8]
      Guns of Brixton > the Clash [9]
      100 Punks > Generation X [10]
      Radio Intro > the Who [11]
      Regent's Park to Oxford Circus > London Sounds [1]
      The City > John Mayall [12]
      Escalator, King's Cross Underground Station > London Sounds [1]
      Streamers > John Butcher [13]
      Euston Main Line Railway Station > London Sounds [1]
      Art of Radio 11 > Resonance Fm [2]
      Slamming Doors, Victoria Station > London Sounds [1]
      Ligurian Transport > Sylvia Hallett [13]
      Evening Birds in Abney Park Cemetery, Early May > London Sounds [1]
      First Time Alone > John Mayall [14]
      Art of Radio 16 > Resonance Fm [2]
      Parallel > Farmersmanual [15]
      Dead End Job > Police [16]
      Parallel > Farmersmanual [15]
      The Great Court of the British Museum > London Sounds [1]
      London Girls > the Vibrators [17]
      London's Burning > the Clash [18]
      Helicoptor / East London Mosque > London Sounds [1]
      Hey Geoff > Dub Syndicate [19]
      Haile Unlikely > Steel Leg vs the Electric Dread [20]

      "Nobody is healthy in London, nobody can be."
      Jane Austen

      [1] "Your Favourite London Sounds" Compiled by Peter Cusack on LMC.
      Forgotten urban sounds can be catalogued ethno-musicologically and
      here are given extra-delight factor of sonic-satori. With photos by
      fellow WFMU photonut & audiofiliac Dave Mandl. Peter Cusak: "It is
      heartwarming to find that it matters whether the bus you are hearing
      is a number 12 or 73, and whether the underground announcements are
      on the Bakerloo or Northern lines."

      [2] "Art of Radio" on Resonance FM <www.resonancefm.com>. Interesting
      obscure intercourse between human intervention, technological
      omnipresence, and nature's omniscience.

      [3] "My Radio" on LMC <www.l-m-c.org.uk>. The London Music Collective
      razes the walls of the concert hall, sticks a mic down an open
      manhole, takes ignored audio and reframes it as at the very least
      worthy sonic nostalgia, often as worthy clay to rework and
      re-establish certain realities, and at the very best as art made
      through humans by the synchronous interface of electronic and natural
      worlds.

      [4] "2001 Love" on On-U <www.onusound.co.uk>. Great dub with
      samplings of Ginsberg poem "Let's All Make Love In London" from a
      swingin' London meets hippies semi- documentary Tonite Let's All Make
      Love in London by Peter Whitehead. It features live perfomance by
      Pink Floyd and footage of John Lennon, Mick Jagger, Vanessa Redgrave,
      Lee Marvin, Julie Christie, Allen Ginsberg, Eric Burdon, Michael
      Caine.

      [5] "The Petula Clark Story vol. 1" on Golden Hour vinyl. Somewhere
      between tart, nerd, and bird, she as much as Dusty Springfield, Jane
      Birkin, Vanessa Redgrave, Twiggy, or Lulu seemed to embody the UK's
      mixed moral emotion of the swingin' 60s - never quite at ease with
      their own monarchical and empire demise, they tried to resurrect
      themselves telegenically as the central breeding ground of all
      'relevant' pop music in the universe. They are definitely trying it
      again - London, the center of the universe.

      [6] The poem which also serves as the title of the documentary.

      [7] "20 of Another Kind" on Polydor Limited Edition, 1979. Also
      includes Plastic Bertrand, the Boys, Sham 69, 999, the SkidsŠ Also
      found on 1978 "All Mod Cons". Never been a fan of the Jam. Something
      about Weller's voice or a less convincing stance. I dunno. There is
      no explaining things like this. The lyrics are still appropriate:
      "Where the streets are paved with blood, with cataclysmic overtones,
      / Fear and hate linger in the air, / A strictly no-go deadly zone. /
      I don't know what I'm doing here / 'cause it's not my scene at all /
      There's an 'A' bomb in Wardour Street / They've called in the Army,
      they've called in the police toŠ. / It's blown up the West End, now
      it's spreading throughout the City, / 'A' bomb in Wardour Street,
      it's blown up the City / Now it's spreading through the country."

      [8] "Quadrophenia" on MCA, 1973 vinyl. Movie more successful at
      capturing what the rock opera couldn't because the songs were too
      burdened by text and story and the music for the most part was not
      memorable. But still there is some aspect of this that seems to
      capture my teen years, that painful identity crisis that has more to
      do with how hormones interpret our surroundings.

      [9] "London Calling" on Epic/Columbia. I know its cool to diss the
      Clash because they were once too cool for their own good. And that
      they had principles that the cynical saw as moral snobbery only to
      have them proven right when many of the songs on this catalog got
      pawned off to commercials and questionable reuse. Joe Strummer once
      said something to the effect "when Bob Dylan sells a song to a
      commercial we will." Something like that. He must have thought Dylan
      was above that. He eventually sold some songs to I think a car
      company also a jean company, the Gap maybe. I don't remember

      The double album was their way of speeding their exit from artistic
      slavery at Columbia. Naiveté on a business level made them all the
      more human and small when it was discovered that this double and the
      Sandinista triple contractually only counted as one Clash record
      each. I think this probably did more to kill the Clash than anything
      else.

      This record released December, 1979, is still amazingly fresh -
      musically accomplished, lyrically savvy, and yet still raw and naïve.
      Political and pop it lashes out at punk rock faddishness, drug
      addiction, right wing politics and Thatcher, race riots in England,
      power of media advertising [no irony?] and corporations. It combines
      punk, rockabilly, 60s-soul, lounge, ska, rocksteady, hard rock, and
      reggae/dub. It was voted the number 1 LP of the 80s by Rolling Stone
      for what its worth. Probably an aesthetic albatross on some level. Q
      Magazine voted it the #32 album of all time. One of the great
      concerts I've ever seen was the Clash live on Broadway at Bonds.

      [10] "Minority Of One" Lyrics: They customized their gear and
      synchronized / The flame out in the streets with flame in their eyes
      / Guerilla operator ain't heard of cool / Check out any wall - one
      hundred punks rule / One hundred punks rule"

      [11] "The Who Sell Out" on Decca vinyl, "Replacing the stale smell
      with the sweet smell of success."

      [12] "Memories" on Polydor vinyl. His work, always rootsy, always
      somewhat askew or awkward but also authentic and touching, and
      sometimes magical. White blues at its best. "Sitting on the bus I
      feel I'm trapped inside a big machineŠ"

      [13] "Locality & Reproduction" on LMC <www.l-m-c.org.uk>. Less
      interesting than some of the other compilations that investigate the
      sonic borders of geography but still plenty of interest here.

      [14] "Down the Line" on London vinyl 1972. Excellent messy collection
      of "real" Brit blues by the man who pretty much started it all for
      Brit blues.

      [15] "Sound Art" on LMC <www.l-m-c.org.uk>.

      [16] "Can't Stand Losing You" on A&M 45. Saw the Police in 1978 when
      they were still in their punk phase. I saw them at the Marquee, which
      would have to be something like CBGBs is to NY in the sense of gates
      of passage.

      [17] "I Can't Stand Losing You" on A&M, 45, bought this in 1978 in
      London after seeing the still-punky [spit was flying] Police in
      October 1978 at the Marquee with my girl friend, who a dead ringer
      for Chrissie Hynde garnered us plenty of attention. Is it or is it
      not? that kind of look. Just touching the sleeve or looking at it
      brings back the entire stay in London [2 days] the whirlwind trip
      around Europe [2 weeks] and a time in London.

      [18] "The Clash" on Epic vinyl, 1977. One of the greatest periods of
      rock excitement was this period with release of this and Sex Pistols,
      et al. "London's burning! London's burning! / All across the town,
      all across the night / Everybody's driving with full headlights /
      Black or white turn it on, face the new religion / Everybody's
      sitting 'round watching television! / London's burning with boredom
      nowŠ"

      [19] "The Rasta Far I" on Collision <www.dub-music.de>. Preview of
      2006 release. From the liner notes: "Dub's explosive desire was in
      full sensory view at my first Dub Syndicate concert in 1995, in New
      York's S.O.B.'s with partner Nina. Simply put, the evening was
      sanctified pyrotechnica with speakers emitting deep, swelling,
      subterranean tremors - trenchant, dilated, and insistent like a train
      pregnant with 100 bass instruments rumbling through a dense fog into
      the cauldron of the solar plexus. Opening act, the formidable
      deep-dub WordSound Productions[2] [RIP], seamlessly segued into Dub
      Syndicate live as spliffy beats and spiraling riffs collided like
      swooping birds with Sherwoodian samples that hovered about in the
      bluish ganja halo. Yeah, OK, perfect mental weather conditions for
      transitional states of consciousness. Me and Nina were stirring; me
      not quite dancing becauseŠ DJs don't dance, so the truism goes; they
      just provoke others to do so. Sure, there've been concerts where I
      (and anonymous Xs) did something that resembled dancing: pogo outings
      at Ramones gigs, some slam-dancing at an Ivan Julian gig and to
      disturb Soho art openings, gangly abstract spasms at punk funk [Ze
      Records] events, and sly slitherings in the shady wings near a wall,
      while holding a beer, confined mostly to head bobbing [sophisticated
      head-banging].

      Ululating waves of bass lapped at our chests when suddenly - vertigo,
      awe, breathlessness - somewhere between hangover and rite of passage,
      Nina collapses like a punctured pleasure balloon. There she lay at my
      feet, pretty heap of discarded unconsciousness. As I tried to revive
      her, the gentle giant doorman carried her over to the entrance, where
      his care and fresh air miraculously brought her to, slivers of
      sensory data swirling around her flickering pupils. Diagnoses
      abounded - lack of fresh air or food, exhaustion from extreme
      bar-hopping, dehydration, second-hand ganjaŠ But I'm convinced that
      immersive dub both recalls and instigates altered states of
      consciousness by producing large vibrations in objects. It had
      simply pressed consciousness from Nina's body. Further evidence that
      evening: With Nina in upright revival, we watch a guy suddenly wither
      and collapse, followed by a woman wilting gently away, legs of taffy,
      eyes floating around in her forehead."

      [20] "Death Disco: Songs from under the Dance Floor 1978-1984" on
      EMI. Includes PiL, Normal, Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle, Rip,
      Rig & Panic and this irreverent trashy take on dub by Jah Wobble in a
      younger incarnation.
      ~~~
      "If you lived in London, where the whole system is one of false
      good-fellowship, and you may know a man for twenty years without
      finding out that he hates you like poison, you would soon have your
      eyes opened. There we do unkind things in a kind way: we say bitter
      things in a sweet voice: we always give our friends chloroform when
      we tear them to pieces."
      George Bernard Shaw

      o Great London newspaper headline [sports section!]: Brain-dead muck
      falls foul of Foxes' brass.

      o Went to London for a week [late February] of doing nothing much but
      enjoying the city, actually for the first time ever. Have been there
      before but never in extended fashion. Had some appointments but most
      of that was enjoyable as well. Went to the Tate Modern, great view of
      Thames, this old power station makes you realize [anew] that
      industrial and commercial buildings have always been built better and
      more interestingly than housing for people. In Amsterdam the
      warehouses from the 17th century are still standing and they maintain
      an integrity that makes them the most fashionable places to live.
      Daughter Paloma likes to sprawl out like a museum is her living room
      and take out her pencils and try to draw a painting. This one, a very
      geometric Mondrian kept her busy for quite a while. And people took
      pix of her instead of the paintings. On a day that I went to visit
      the formidable but comfortably reassuringly dilapidated Resonance FM
      studios in the heart of London wife and daughter went with friends to
      Windsor Castle [better them than me!] and there while wandering
      around the awe-inspiring corridors they quite coincidentally met
      Sarah Ferguson and her daughter who is a REAL princess. Quite
      impressive for a 6-yr old who is in full princess [altho she claims
      to want to be an artist] phase. Paloma and 4-year-old friend Anna
      were deeply impressed even if the princess wasn't wearing some
      glittery flowing gown. I meanwhile got a full and lively tour from
      the managerial triumvirate and I was amused and comforted that their
      impressive website hid a grimier underbelly where much of the
      programming is done at the spur of the moment and in the blink of an
      eye with plenty of human glitch input. A great station that champions
      the outer edges of sonic exploration and now legal and with funding
      from the London Council of the Arts. The consequence is excellent
      audio documentation of the parts of the world often neglected by a
      visually dominant media world.

      Notes on other Patapoe audionauts & nuts:
      o Jonges v/d Vlakte [Boys from the Plains]: "De cottonpickin' Jongens
      Mondays @ PTP

      o Dr. Doo Wop is one of the most eccentric and stimulating radio
      shows anywhere. Sartre, DeSade, Doo Wop and music from the gonads.
      Now on Radio Patapoe on Sunday 17.00-18.00 Amsterdam time

      o Radio Antarctica is in temporary exile in the UK. Expect periodic
      patriotic broadcasts to rouse the troops on the mainland.

      o Super Nova is a big potpourri of sounds influences and information
      both local and elsewhere. Can you picture a sound? On Sundays
      18.00-20.00.

      o Wildcat Radio: Anarchist organization presents radio as it should
      be - in your ear. Saturdays 18.00-20.00.

      o De Oktoskoop: Kinderen/kid/children/rugrats and other visionaries.
      Sat. 11.30-13.30

      o POLYPHAKE PLAPPERLAPAPP: "polyphone audioerosion featuring
      occasional beatweirdniks in an plaperlappap assemblage hosted by
      F.Fiasko 22:30-?? Wednesdays

      o Radio Worm: Rotterdam-based radio collective presents inventive
      programming to baffle all preconceptions. Midnight Sundays and in
      autopilot rotation.

      o HET PROGRAMMA: industrial lounge for collapsing people. Tuesdays 21:00

      ~~~~
      * new home of Amsterdam's Radio Vrije Keyser: 89.6 FM
      * Radio Tonka, The Hague's 10-year-old free radio <www.radiotonka.nl/>
      * Radio Wanklank 90.9 FM, free radio in Wageningen <www.wanklank.nl>
      * Wreck This Mess-Paris @ Radio Libertaire, Paris 89.4
      <http://dune2.info:5000/radiolib.m3u> on Tuesdays 12:30-14:30
      * Black Sifichi / Audiometric is broadcast on: Aligre FM / 93.1 Paris
      (sat 22.30 - sun 7:00) http://www.aligrefm.org
      Eko Des Garrigues 88.5 FM Montpellier ( 19h - 22h)
      http://www.ekodesgarrigues.com
      RTF 95.4 FM Limoges (wed 21h-23h) http://www.rtflimoges.com)

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 2500± READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/
      o Selected Playlists at http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Someday: <http://wreckthismess.com/>
      o Check out NEW excerpts from my erotic-dérive novel: Paris Sex Tete
      on Parisiana <http://www.parisiana.com/>

      SDI SELF DESTRUCTION INSURED
      CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL