19152Re: AMM gig last night

  • a_j_fleming
    Nov 7, 2005
      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Nat Hawks <nytf303@y...> wrote:
      > i just recently joined this list.

      and I haven't been around to look at the queue lately, and thus your
      message has been sitting there for several days. (note: new members'
      first posts are automatically moderated)

      > i've been on the idmlist for years and years. great
      > discussion there. great community. solid arguments.
      > varied genres discussed (i learned about Fantoms from
      > the damned IDM list for christsake), and i will say
      > that one of the reasons the list is so strange is that
      > a) the moderator is a strong presence when need be and
      > b) the list doesn't take any bull-honkey for the most
      > part. if someone/thing is wasting everyone's time,
      > they are told so, in public. it works out in the end.

      I agree that strong moderation is sometimes necessary, but the shaming
      time-wasters in public aspect doesn't appeal to me. 9 times out of
      10, it ends in flame wars, which take lists even further away from its

      > folks still post promotionals, and shows, and their
      > own work, but without discussion around it, this list
      > is just a bulletin board at your local ecclectic music
      > shop...

      I guess I'm being put on notice that the spam needs to stop. I agree,
      but I don't think it will help the signal to noise ratio much- the
      overall volume may just decrease. Part of why this list used to be
      fairly active is because, well, the internet was a much smaller place
      when it started, and there were very few places to talk about
      Wire-type music. Now there are plenty of online fora for this kind of
      stuff. In addition, a lot of the traffic coming to the list ca.
      2000-3 came from the mag itself, which published the address for the
      list in each issue. That disappeared when Chris Bohn took over from
      Rob Young as Editor. I'm not one to tell them how to run the mag, but
      the impact was immediate.

      For the time being, sure, I can be a more active moderator and ask
      people to stop posting ads.

      > --- richardreesjones <richardreesjones@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Anyone else go to this? I was seriously
      > > underwhelmed, I have to say.
      > > I've never been bored by AMM before, but I certainly
      > > was last night.
      > > Rowe's departure seems to have crippled their
      > > creativity. David
      > > Jackman was a fairly inconsequential presence. Why
      > > didn't Prevost play
      > > his full kit? And were my ears deceiving me, or did
      > > I hear some very
      > > Rowe-like radio excerpts, which were presumably
      > > coming from tapes?
      > >
      > > By the way, this list is getting pretty poor for
      > > discussion. It's
      > > still full of promotional stuff even though there is
      > > now a separate
      > > list for that. Is there anything that can be done
      > > to make the
      > > advertisers move to the list that has been set up
      > > for them?
      > >
      > > Richard

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic