18564Re: [thewire] on land

  • Andrew Cox
    Sep 29, 2004
      Wednesday, September 29, 2004, 9:49:05 AM, Steven wrote:

      > Anybody else pinpoint a specific record as an epiphany?

      1975 (I was 14). The BBC broadcast the concert from which Tangerine
      Dream's Ricochet is taken. I'd never heard anything like it before.
      I'd been messing around with an old reel-to-reel tape recorder,
      speeding things up, slowing them down, overdubbing them, etc., but I'd
      never thought that this could be considered as music. Shortly
      afterwards I heard one of Stockhausen's Klavierstuck in a school music
      lesson, which was equally revelatory. These pieces opened up a whole
      new world, and gave me "permission" to experiment.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic