18041Re: [thewire] Spectral Music

  • Guillaume Grenier
    Mar 31, 2004
      On 30/03/04 19:19, njcross said in living color:

      > Hi,
      > I've got a kinda objection to The Primer Nov 2003: 'Spectral Music' -
      > sorry I'm so late in writing this.
      > Andy Hamilton wrote fairly offhandedly about Tristan Murail:
      > 'Murail was Grisey's most important partner in the development of spectralism,
      > though his music is less compelling.'
      > Now,I wasn't exactly thrilled by the 'middle class' way Murail was
      > introduced to
      > the British scene in the first place,but Andy Hamilton's statement is
      > patiently untrue for many people. His orchestration is superb. The
      > early use of IRCAM Max
      > to synthesize the partials used with his acoustic ensembles (not to mention a
      > kind of rudimentary 'human' sequencer to play the partials was truly
      > astounding.

      Also totally in disagreement with the offhand remark and wanted to add:

      Murail's one of the rare spectralists who wrote for piano solo... Among
      other works for the instrument, he wrote a piece called "Territoires de
      l'oubli" which happens to be one of the masterpieces of the second part of
      the 20th century for that instrument.

      Guillaume Grenier - grenier.g@...

      in space there is no north in space there is no south
      in space there is no east in space there is no west
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic