17891[thewire] Out of print jazz collections

  • A.S. Van Dorston
    Jan 31, 2004
      In my endless quest to fill in gaps, I've been researching some jazz stuff
      that I'd given up on finding last time I looked nine years ago. I'm
      surprised to find that, aside from Billie Holiday, the gaps in these VERY
      popular artists' catalogs are still there. Anyone have any info I don't
      know, please chime in.

      Ella has been grossly underrepresented in the years 1938 to 1955, the years
      between her big band stint with Chick Webb and her time on Verve. Probably
      her peak years! There is a two disc compilation that grazes on it, but
      nothing more that I know of:

      Ella Fitzgerald * 75th Birthday Celebration 1938-1955 (GRP)

      Anita O'Day's peak years were at Verve from around 1952-1960. There is a
      limited edition Mosaic 9 CD box of the whole damn thing for $144. A bit
      too expensive. It seems the only other extreme are spotty one-disc
      entries. How about an affordable 4 CD edition of the best tunes?

      Anita O'Day * Complete Anita O'Day Clef/Verve Sessions (Mosaic) 00 $144 Mosaic
      <http://www.mosaicrecords.com/DisplaySelectionDetail.asp?SelectionId=976>http://www.mosaicrecords.com/DisplaySelectionDetail.asp?SelectionId=976

      Sarah Vaughan is a mystery. I know she was affected by the recording ban
      in the 40s. I have one session from 1946-7 that's stellar, but the sound
      quality is poor. Her time on Columbia (1949-1953) is well-documented, but
      it's mostly pop. So where's the jazz? What happened to 1947-1948? And
      will the Mercury stuff ever come back in print? Each Volume was like $80
      when they were available. Again, is there not a more sane collection of
      just a few discs for under $50??

      Sarah Vaughan * The Complete Sarah Vaughan on Mercury Vol. 1: 1954-1956
      Sarah Vaughan * Complete Sarah Vaughan on Mercury, Vol. 2: Sings Great
      American Songs 1956-1957
      Sarah Vaughan * Complete Sarah Vaughan on Mercury, Vol. 3: Great Show on
      Stage 1954-1956

      Sarah Vaughan * The Complete Roulette Sarah Vaughan Studio Recordings
      1960-1963 (Mosaic) $128 Mosaic
      <http://www.mosaicrecords.com/DisplaySelectionDetail.asp?SelectionID=1027>http://www.mosaicrecords.com/DisplaySelectionDetail.asp?SelectionID=1027

      Same thing with Dinah. The only good comps were on Mercury, now out of print.

      Dinah Washington * Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury, Vol. 1 1946-1949
      Dinah Washington * Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury, Vol. 2 1950-1952
      Dinah Washington * Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury, Vol. 3 1952-1954
      Dinah Washington * Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury, Vol. 4 1954-1956