17572Blurt vs Wreck This Mess LIVE

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Nov 17, 2003
      Blurt Night vs Wreck This Night
      @ the OCCII / November 16 / Amsterdam

      "Practice letting go Š "
      o Down in the Argentine

      Impossibly intense and yet flippant charm of Blurt carried the night.
      Everyone I talked to was ignited, warmed over, thrilled, and glowing
      by the end of the night. The trio of Ted Milton (sax, vocal, violin),
      Steve Eagles (guitar), Paul Wigens (drums) reinvented old chestnuts
      in a way few bands can: tunes sound simultaneously familiar and
      totally new, simple and incredibly dense, chaotic meanderings within
      a very tight pop song rhythms, extrapolatory jagged conniption sax
      solos that had one jazz saxophonist rhapsodizing that Milton was
      touching on tones never touched by jazz musicians except maybe Albert
      Ayler. Wigens was perfectly subdued - no flashing bombast while
      Eagles played rhythm and lead guitar that sometimes sounded somewhere
      between bagpipes, prepared strings, and a joint strike fighter taking
      off from a wet runway.

      "How does a dog die? / Roll over like Bartok / wag his legs in the sky?"
      o Poppycock

      Milton's adlibbed extemporaneous poesie, the babblings, the jabbering
      all have that wonderful quality of finding the muse in the rubble.
      Brilliant jags of word-smithing in this context be it Mark E. Smith
      or Lee "Scratch" Perry or Tom Waits or Lord Buckley or Shelley Hirsch
      has always left me fascinated by the power of nurtured improv. I am
      someone who carries a piece of limp damp paper on stage and then have
      trouble reading my scribblings without stumbling into some state of
      utter misrememberingŠ

      I was honored to be asked to open for Blurt and love this place.
      Inexpensive, informal, good sound system, close to home, and a
      gezellig [convivial] atmosphere, the OCCII remains an important venue
      for bands who want to book at the last minute. With a minimum of red
      tape, an interesting night can most likely be arranged.

      "Dumb flags Š at the whim of every little whip of wind / Š they
      bounce in the breeze / Š it all ends in tattersŠ"
      o The Flags

      It was a really perfect night: I finally got to meet Ted Milton, my
      DJ colleague at Patapoe who co-hosts Boys from the Flatlands program
      and does sound for a host of musical units including the Ex, Geert-J.
      brought back a gift for me from Austria, a lederhosen-wearing teddy
      bear that when you press his/her belly yodels! This is absolutely
      perfect because I am about to embark on a promo "tour" [basically NY]
      for my new book on yodeling, Yo De Lay EEE OOO: The Secret History of
      Yodeling Around the World [Routledge]. Inevitably at readings people
      will ask whether I yodel [I don't] and so now I can just hold this
      Teddy Bear up to the mic and lip-synch the bear's yodels!

      I also invited an artist-jazz saxophonist friend to the gig and he
      was jostled off his moorings and he was totally inspired by the
      evening. The crowd was an intimate + or - enthusiastic listeners and
      I even got some compliments on my DJ-ing [I'm a thin skinned DJ who
      is highly club-crowd-ophobic, which depending on the club - not here
      - can be as consumer demanding as McDonald's customers waiting in
      line for burgers]. AND I met a couple who are interested in Šyodeling
      - I had secretly/subliminally tossed in some yodeling into the mix.
      And the beers were good and cheapŠ

      And there were a fair number of fellow Patapoe DJs on hand, some of
      whom even stretched a huge banner across the OCCII front that shouted
      out for more support for FREE radio. There was a sense that Patapoe
      could really develop into something through sheer enthusiasm. Ted
      Milton had originally even offered to do the gig as a benefit but we
      kindly declined.

      Wreck This Mess played [not in this order]:

      DJ Cor Blimey / Black Dog vs Black Sifichi vs C-Pij Obscura / Grand
      Mal / Shelley Hirsch / Christine Lauterburg / Norscq vs Tempsion / A
      Certain Ratio / Trip Do Brasil / Nat King Cole / Lizzy Mercier
      Descloux / Queen Juliana / Mose Allison/ Headphone Science / Heaven
      17 / Jonah Jones / Superstoned / Voodoo Trance Music of Haiti / Jon
      Hassell / Gas-Wolfgang Voigt / "La Paloma" by Fischer Chöre / Relax
      with Puck van Waveren / Gnawa Joum Experience / Niobe / The Seven
      Sages of Mesopotamia / Rogue State / Manasseh meets the Equaliser /
      Adrian Sherwood / MC Paul Barman / DJ Wally / Mossman vs the World
      Bank / the Lost Patrol / Twilight Circus / True Tone / Aube / Ben
      Neill vs DJ Spooky / Twilight Circus / Andrew Duke / Glen Brown vs
      King Tubby vs Leftfield / Bad Card / Sophia Loren...

      With the rerelease and reappreciation of much No Wave material from
      New York and Ze Records and the film "24 Hour Party People" focusing
      attention on Factory Records and the recent "Wild Dub: Dread Meets
      Punk Rocker Downtown" on Select cuts <www.selectcuts.de> it is only a
      matter of time before Blurt is rediscovered - for the first time and
      just in timeŠ

      Their set stuck somewhat to songs featured on their new "Best of
      Blurt - Volume 1: The Fish Needs a Bike" on Salamander Records
      <www.salamanderrecords.com> a nice and noisy bouquet shoved into our
      impatient and attention-span stressed faces.

      Wreck This Mess will be away from the controls for about 4 weeks.

      ±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 1500 READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      <info@...>
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/>
      o Recent selected Playlists [early stages] at
      http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Special playlists can be found at 3am Magazine
      <http://www.3ammagazine.com> under the title "Radiophotogram: Visual
      Radio". Also posted is a depth-of-focus interview with Judy Nylon. To
      appear soon: excerpts from my scandal-delicious paris novel, PARIS
      SEX TETE, a review of the spoken word works of Roberto Valenza...