17465Re: other great lost albums

  • michael j
    Oct 4, 2003
      "Aloha" has been reissued with other material...I believe "Marrying
      For Money" was reissued a while back as "REmarrying for money"
      Eugene Chadbourne's Parachute label put out some good improv records
      in the early 80's...I have a great Transmuseq disc from 1980
      called "Direct Waves"...what about the Anthony Braxton LPs on
      Arista ? I haven't seen many of those and they are essential in my
      opinion...Sackville Records out of Toronto had some great titles by
      Braxton, Mitchell and others including solo albums (w/overdubs) by
      George Lewis & JUlius Hemphill...also a couple of oddities that
      attempt to merge classical avant-garde with improv : "Music Of Our
      Time" Bernstein conducting the NY Phil :Feldman,Ligeti, Larry Austin
      (with Barre Phillips as a soloist) and (teehee) improvisations by
      the orchestra-the liner notes admit they had predetermined cues from
      Lennie. This was on Columbia as was Lukas Foss' "Time Cycle" again
      w/ Bernstein conducting; each movement of the piece has interludes
      'improvised' by Foss' Improvisation Chamber Ensemble (I.C.E.?)-again
      it's not FREE improvisation and remains sounding quite serial
      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie M" <charlie.m@u...> wrote:

      > > Henry Kaiser "It's a Wonderful Life" (Metalanguage): One of my
      favorites
      > > from him but hardly ever mentioned anymore.
      >
      > Are any Metalanguage titles available??
      >
      > These are also long term inmates on my wants list....
      > Jim French - "If Looks Could Kill" LP ( Metalanguage)
      > Henry Kaiser - "Marrying For Money", "It's A Wonderful
      Life", "Social Set",
      > "Improvised" (w/ John Oswald) LPs, "Aloha" DLP (Metalanguage)
      >

      > Charlie
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic