17266Re: [thewire] Re: elogy/eulogy and Matmos covers

  • Rioual Jc
    Sep 1, 2003
      I think that you are wrong on this point.
      Many readers (me among them) enjoy "pop" articles
      in the Wire.

      There are other publications with a more
      in-depth approach towards modern
      composition/theory.

      --- gradyfinklemyer <gradyfinklemyer@...> a
      écrit :
      ---------------------------------
      Yo La Tengo is pretty useless, but I can see why they
      would put them
      on the cover instead of Kagel, who was in the same
      issue. On the
      other hand, if some indie schmoe picks up the Yo La
      Tengo issue, are
      they really going to like the Kagel, Asmsus Tietchens,
      The Ex, etc
      that was in that issue? I think the magazine has
      pretty much found
      its audience, so they shouldn't be afraid of putting
      more obscure
      artists on the cover. People who like the magazine are
      going to buy
      it regardless of who's on the cover, and the few extra
      sales they may
      get from a Yo La Tengo, Radiohead, Mercury Rev, or DJ
      Shadow cover
      are probably not going to have first time buyers
      coming back for more
      when they find out it isn't like Spin.

      wrote:
      > re: 15 is too young to die. Yes, agreed. He used the
      word "elogy"
      > not -"eulogy".
      >
      > re: Matmos on the cover. What 5 covers are worthy in
      recent
      months/years?
      > and/or....what 5 artists should have made the cover?
      Then we can
      get a
      > better view of your taste. Realize that every
      musician that should
      have made
      > a Wire cover in your opinion is equally despised by
      some random
      person on
      > some random email list. Me? as someone else said, I
      don't think
      anyone
      > should get more than one cover-ever-. But thats just
      me.

      > Peter
      >
      > np: Stan Kenton- New Concepts
      >

      > > Message: 1
      > > Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:21:52 +1000
      > > From: chux <chux_vom@o...>
      > > Subject: Re: only 15
      > >
      > >> Whats more impressive than Guilherme being 15
      years old is that
      a 15 year
      > >> old used the word "elogy" in a sentence!
      > >>
      > >> !!
      > >
      > > 15 is too young to die.
      > >
      > > chx
      >

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:05:23 -0000
      > From: "gradyfinklemyer" <gradyfinklemyer@y...>
      > Subject: new issue
      >
      > I see that Matmos is on the cover. Couldn't they
      have just left
      the
      > cover blank, instead?
      > I'm going to go stick a tape recorder in my
      toilet, then mix the
      > some "electronica" in with the toilet concrete
      sounds. Maybe I'll
      > throw in a phat beat or two. Can I be on the cover
      next?

      > Oh what wonderful new clothes the emperor is
      wearing.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Terms of Service.