16922Re: answers on an electronic postcard and they'd better be good :)

  • gradyfinklemyer
    May 29, 2003
      The Flaming Lips have always struck me as psych-poseurs and the
      music just doesn't seem very good. There is something very hollow at
      the core of a record like Soft Bulletin. It might be ok on the first
      spin, but there is nothing of lasting value. It wears out it's
      welcome real quick. Wayne's vocals are kind of irritating. The
      lyrics are banal. The music is ho-hum. And their more "electronic"
      direction on the tracks I heard from the new album is distinctly
      boring. Wayne's wacky Wilson/Barrett persona is grating and he tries
      way too hard (ie the blood and the puppets, etc ad naseaum). They are
      overrated imho.

      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, stuff1424@a... wrote:

      > After a string of what I'd call more well developed artists on the
      cover
      > operating either within or on the cusp of 'mainstream' music,
      certainly reaching
      > larger audiences (Bjork, Radiohead, Mercury Rev), it's started to
      bug me: why
      > are the Flaming Lips never celebrated? Before the academics get all
      snobby
      > blurting 'leave that to the NME we want our Schnitzler's/
      Parmegiani's etc.', the
      > Lips efforts at forever pushing the limits of pop music (Hit To
      Death?