16593Re: Nick Hornby

  • gradyfinklemyer <gradyfinklemyer@yahoo.c
    Mar 1 11:31 AM
      "he writes the sort of commercially oriented, middle of the road
      books that sell well". Kind of like the Magnetic Fields try to do
      with music, but aren't successful with? I guess the world isn't ready
      for retro-tin pan-brill building-classic pop-with a gay slant.

      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Keith Brown <keith@j...> wrote:
      > Hello
      >
      > I wonder how people on this list felt about Rob Young's acidic
      polemic
      > against the writer Nick Hornby in this month's editorial of The
      Wire.
      > The reason for the attack was that Nick had published a book about
      31
      > records that he likes or used to like and attempted to say why he
      liked
      > them or stopped liking them, and Rob disagreed with some of the
      things
      > Nick has said. I believe Nick Hornby to be a writer who has no
      interest
      > in the history of English literature, or at least that he has no
      > interest in finding his place in it, or addressing the problems of
      > literature, or more generally of dealing with the human condition.
      That
      > is his choice as a writer, he writes the sort of commercially
      oriented,
      > middle of the road books that sell well and get made into films
      starring
      > Hugh Grant. There isn't anything wrong with that IMHO, its not
      Joyce or
      > Proust but it doesn't intend to be.
      >
      > I feel Rob's attack, while initially exhilarating for me, was
      > unwarranted and immature. The Wire is a precious cultural artefact,
      we
      > would all be the poorer if it ceased to exist or was unable to
      pursue
      > its current agenda. But Nick is simply making a case for the sort
      of
      > music he likes, which would be typical both for him and for his
      readers.
      > Of course a typical reader of Nick's work is unlikely to be the
      sort of
      > person that reads The Wire, but to refer to them as 'sadsacks'
      sounds
      > like the work of a man who never got what he wanted out of life,
      and
      > feels an enormous amount of aggression as a result. Was it Rob's
      > intention to polarise culture in terms of those who are for 'The
      Wire'
      > and those who are not, and thereby to infer that everyone who
      expresses
      > an opinion that might be contrary to that of 'The Wire' is somehow
      bent
      > on our destruction? The idea that Nick has somehow ceased to exist
      as a
      > human being because he no longer wishes to hear music made by a
      group
      > called 'Suicide' strikes me as the most indefensible form of
      solipsism.
      > His final criticism, which is slightly more measured, that list
      building
      > is a 'quest for perfection' may be untrue. Thankfully he manages to
      pull
      > himself towards the end to stick up for a true 'Wire' man, David
      Toop,
      > but there is still time for one last dig at Nick.
      >
      > What would a new reader of 'The Wire' think of us on reading Rob's
      > editorial? I would imagine most people who read a magazine read the
      > editorial, and chances are they would have heard of Nick Hornby and
      > Nelly Furtado, but not of David Toop. That's a known verses an
      unknown
      > folks, and I don't think they will be buying our beloved mag
      anymore.
      > Alternative music is not a religion, it is a valid and human
      choice, but
      > that is all. At the end of the day we are all just people trying to
      make
      > our way in life. Live and let live Rob.
      >
      > Regards, Keith
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic