16593Re: Nick Hornby

  • gradyfinklemyer <gradyfinklemyer@yahoo.c
    Mar 1, 2003
      "he writes the sort of commercially oriented, middle of the road
      books that sell well". Kind of like the Magnetic Fields try to do
      with music, but aren't successful with? I guess the world isn't ready
      for retro-tin pan-brill building-classic pop-with a gay slant.

      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Keith Brown <keith@j...> wrote:
      > Hello
      > I wonder how people on this list felt about Rob Young's acidic
      > against the writer Nick Hornby in this month's editorial of The
      > The reason for the attack was that Nick had published a book about
      > records that he likes or used to like and attempted to say why he
      > them or stopped liking them, and Rob disagreed with some of the
      > Nick has said. I believe Nick Hornby to be a writer who has no
      > in the history of English literature, or at least that he has no
      > interest in finding his place in it, or addressing the problems of
      > literature, or more generally of dealing with the human condition.
      > is his choice as a writer, he writes the sort of commercially
      > middle of the road books that sell well and get made into films
      > Hugh Grant. There isn't anything wrong with that IMHO, its not
      Joyce or
      > Proust but it doesn't intend to be.
      > I feel Rob's attack, while initially exhilarating for me, was
      > unwarranted and immature. The Wire is a precious cultural artefact,
      > would all be the poorer if it ceased to exist or was unable to
      > its current agenda. But Nick is simply making a case for the sort
      > music he likes, which would be typical both for him and for his
      > Of course a typical reader of Nick's work is unlikely to be the
      sort of
      > person that reads The Wire, but to refer to them as 'sadsacks'
      > like the work of a man who never got what he wanted out of life,
      > feels an enormous amount of aggression as a result. Was it Rob's
      > intention to polarise culture in terms of those who are for 'The
      > and those who are not, and thereby to infer that everyone who
      > an opinion that might be contrary to that of 'The Wire' is somehow
      > on our destruction? The idea that Nick has somehow ceased to exist
      as a
      > human being because he no longer wishes to hear music made by a
      > called 'Suicide' strikes me as the most indefensible form of
      > His final criticism, which is slightly more measured, that list
      > is a 'quest for perfection' may be untrue. Thankfully he manages to
      > himself towards the end to stick up for a true 'Wire' man, David
      > but there is still time for one last dig at Nick.
      > What would a new reader of 'The Wire' think of us on reading Rob's
      > editorial? I would imagine most people who read a magazine read the
      > editorial, and chances are they would have heard of Nick Hornby and
      > Nelly Furtado, but not of David Toop. That's a known verses an
      > folks, and I don't think they will be buying our beloved mag
      > Alternative music is not a religion, it is a valid and human
      choice, but
      > that is all. At the end of the day we are all just people trying to
      > our way in life. Live and let live Rob.
      > Regards, Keith
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic