15805Re: [thewire] "Musical Artists Not Made For This Economy"

  • A.S. Van Dorston
    Sep 9, 2002
      I don't know how "large" Beefheart's following is. Sure, a lot of people know about him and may have heard something from Trout Mask. But how many people do you actually know who own his albums? I can count them on one hand.
      Gene Clark and Residents are good ones. I just got the reissued White Light (1971) which is good but not amazing. No Other really needs to be reissued -- I haven't heard it. I'm giong to trade for a CDR with someone soon -- it must have been dubbed from vinyl.
      Having been into post-punk for a long time, it seems that every other band is compared to them in some way, which goes to show how they were really quite well known.
      T.
      John Farrar wrote:> What should we add to that list?

      Mine:
      Captain Beefheart:

      Hmmm, I think he has a pretty large fan base.

      James Blood Ulmer:

      True! I've only heard "Are You Glad To Be In America" - extraordinary
      album!

      Roy Harper:

      Again spot on! The double live is superb. "When an Old Crickerter Leaves
      the Crease" never fails to moisten the eyes.

      Peter Hammill:

      And again! He's got some new stuff out hasn't he?

      Maybe add:

      Andy Roberts - "Nina and the Dream Tree" was an amazing album.

      The Residents - OK, may have a reasonably sized cult following, but still
      mainly unknown.

      Gene Clark - "No Other" was the classic Americana album - before the genre
      was born.

      Wire - Seem to have recently been the band to name check. But no-one
      mentioned them much in the late 79s and early 80s.