15794Re: re zaireeka just say no rev men

  • gradyfinklemyer
    Sep 7, 2002
      Ya see, what I done did was, I took me my fishin' pole down to the
      lake, and I put me some good bait on that there hook, then I cast out
      into that there water. Waddya know, befo' long them davisfort fish
      was uh jumpin' n'bitin' at that there bait like crazy. Yippee. Also,
      Davis if'n you wants to know what "nurdley" means, just have a look
      see in your mirror.

      --- In thewire@y..., Davis Ford <davisford@y...> wrote:

      > no-neck blues band is joyless nurdley rubbish? what
      > the hell does nurdley mean?
      >
      > --- wingsoftoast <wingsoftoast@y...> wrote:
      > > blimey- do you two know each other or something???
      > > cool your boots
      > > davis!
      > > personally the whole rev being a bit dull thing to
      > > me is just part of
      > > a wider post-rock dullness malaise (apart from the
      > > boredoms and
      > > selected acid mothers bits) - rock seems to have as
      > > much in common
      > > with fashion as it does with classical / jazz / folk
      > > - the spurious
      > > quest for novelty for its own sake. The Strokes
      > > album is easily the
      > > strongest 'rock' album of the last year despite the
      > > fact that it
      > > sounds just like Television (why is originality such
      > > a big deal in
      > > the age of mechanical reproduction?)- though i
      > > bought stuff by Jackie-
      > > O and the No-Necks i can't help feeling that it's
      > > somewhat joyless
      > > nurdley rubbish - emerson lake and palmer without
      > > the money / pomp-
      > > vague? to like post-rock is to buy into a myth and
      > > i'd rather be
      > > entertained myth or no myth.
      > >
      > > a lot of post-rock bands seem to wear the badge of
      > > 'improvisation' as
      > > if this was some sort of seal of quality in itself -
      > > what they forget
      > > is that spontanaeity is part of any truly creative
      > > act (see cocteau
      > > or wagner for similar viewpoint)whether written on a
      > > page or blown
      > > straight out of a saxophone. aside from this they
      > > all seem to be
      > > slightly overweight and bald.
      >
      > ha! i can name one such culprit - anyone remember an
      > album by some jokers called storm and stress on drag
      > city 50 million years ago? what a crock of shit that
      > was..but it got rave reviews -- "they are really
      > encroaching on new territory", 'they' espoused. Give
      > me Derek Bailey's worst plonking. i don't think those
      > guys were bald, though.
      >

      > > on a final note - brainfuck fans should check out
      > > the last hour of
      > > wagner's 'tristan and isolde' for a totally
      > > unexpected and completely
      > > devastatingly fucking fantastic direct to the
      > > motherlode experience -
      > > oh and the wire was right a couple of issues ago
      > > about shirley
      > > collins (who'd have though folk could be so
      > > untweediddly?)
      > >
      > > pete
      >
      > grady, i feel bad for you. if you want public
      > humiliation, why not just paint yourself naked green
      > and go stand in the middle of a NASCAR race?
      > follow-ups to alt.flame if you want to continue this
      > (i'm game). don't bore the people here, though.
      >

      > > --- In thewire@y..., "gradyfinklemyer"
      > > <gradyfinklemyer@y...> wrote:
      > > > Wow that's funny. Did you recently purchase a
> [...]
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic